Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

German Castrol oil thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default German Castrol oil thoughts.

So I need an oil change and started searching the forums about oil preferences. I kept finding a lot of threads/posts about German Castrol (also known as GC). Problem is that most of these threads were quite a few years old. I went on a search to find this oil which was a 0W-30 made in Germany. The only thing I found was a European Formula Castrol Edge with Syntec technology in 0W-40. This oil says made in Belgium instead of Germany. Just as good or crap? I also purchased a Wix 51522 extended filter (for 6.0L trucks) for extra filtering media. Should I use what I bought or return it and get more?

Old 12-17-2013, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

That will be basically the same stuff just heavier warm weight

The old "German Castrol" is still available in some places, it will be in the same bottle like you posted but will be 0w-30. It is available here local at both Autozone and Advance.

I run it exclusively in my car ever since I first tried it. The valvetrain noise went down noticeably. It is also often on sale for $29-32 with filter for 5 qts. Advance also often lets you pick up an extra qt for the sale price.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

^this^ The Euro Formula Castrol has helped quiet down my valvetrain noise. I found mine at Autozone for ~$30.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Honestly why people get a fuzzy feeling over a certain oil is complete and I mean complete all in your head. I use the cheapest Quality oil I find on sale at walmart, usually Pennzoil yellow bottle. 10-30 in all my engines and have never had any failures related to oil. Jeep has almost 300 thous miles on it.

The "German Castrol" is on the thick side of a 30wt oil SO any engine is a little quieter using thick oil it may sound a bit quieter. NOTHING ELSE. Its not gonna last any longer or run any better. It just a waste of your resources.

I never heard a quiet LS engine...THERE is No such thing.
If you want to use a thicker oil just buy 10-40 cheap standard oil and WALLAA same placebo effect. The engine sounds different so it must be good now I feel fuzzy inside.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
That will be basically the same stuff just heavier warm weight

The old "German Castrol" is still available in some places, it will be in the same bottle like you posted but will be 0w-30. It is available here local at both Autozone and Advance.

I run it exclusively in my car ever since I first tried it. The valvetrain noise went down noticeably. It is also often on sale for $29-32 with filter for 5 qts. Advance also often lets you pick up an extra qt for the sale price.
I checked with Advance and Autozone but had no luck. O'Reilly Auto had these in stock but can order the 0W-30. Figured I would run the OW-40 for now since it's getting cold and change over to the 0W-30 once it gets hot again. Cost me $8.69 a bottle though. Only place in town I can find it.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its good oil, have used it in the past...I also like Valvoline VR1 syn 10/30...You can usually find both German Castrol and VR1 at Autozone....
Old 12-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Honestly why people get a fuzzy feeling over a certain oil is complete and I mean complete all in your head. I use the cheapest Quality oil I find on sale at walmart, usually Pennzoil yellow bottle. 10-30 in all my engines and have never had any failures related to oil. Jeep has almost 300 thous miles on it.

The "German Castrol" is on the thick side of a 30wt oil SO any engine is a little quieter using thick oil it may sound a bit quieter. NOTHING ELSE. Its not gonna last any longer or run any better. It just a waste of your resources.

I never heard a quiet LS engine...THERE is No such thing.
If you want to use a thicker oil just buy 10-40 cheap standard oil and WALLAA same placebo effect. The engine sounds different so it must be good now I feel fuzzy inside.
I understand the placebo effect but I did a lot of research on oil analyses with the 0W-30 GC, just didn't find anything on the 0W-40. The analyses showed a lot more life in this oil and the additives were much better. I want to make sure I have some decent oil while spinning the motor at close to 7000 rpm.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Better than what? I'm not trying to start a argument just been down this oily road too many times. I never seen ANY oil that saved a engine from anything, If you are going to run on the edge and think the oil will save you from disaster you need a different hobby. ANY good standard off the shelve oil will protect as well as the Castrol will. Do you actually think they know more than the other major oil companies?

I'll tell you the secret to a long lasting LS engine, keep the oil overfilled and check it often. I always run 6 1/2 qts and check it every 500 miles. Most LS engines use a lot of oil and even one full throttle run with low oil will do damage.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

The cheapest synthetic from Wal-Mart is their house brand and if I bought a jug of it and a filter it would be the same price as the oil that shows to be better for the engine in oil analysis. So why not?

You are right though, oil level and keeping it clean are what matters more.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

RockinWs6 there is so much wrong with your post I do not know where to start. I good oil will give a much better oil film that will protect your engine at high RPMs than a cheap oil. A good oil filter will will give good flow which is what a LS engine likes. Castrol GC will give much better oil analysis than most other oils. You do know what an oil analysis is?
Old 12-17-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
RockinWs6 there is so much wrong with your post I do not know where to start. I good oil will give a much better oil film that will protect your engine at high RPMs than a cheap oil. A good oil filter will will give good flow which is what a LS engine likes. Castrol GC will give much better oil analysis than most other oils. You do know what an oil analysis is?
Better read again ...I stated ANY major brand oil. If you think Castrol is better than any other major brand I have a few bridges you will be interested in.

Oil is all BS, buy the chgeapest major brand and keep it clean and full. There is NO other way. You can full your crankcase with what ever flavor of the week everyone is using but in the end clean and full wins.

Now if you are talking oil change intervals that's where certain oil are much better than others.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Now if you are talking oil change intervals that's where certain oil are much better than others.

I use the synthetic and change it 5-7k miles depending on what the car has seen in those miles and how it looks. How it looks might not be the most scientific method but regardless, if it gets black and nasty looking sooner I change it sooner.

Hence the synthetic, I have enough old school mentality I wouldn't want to run standard oil that long in a performance application. My truck gets the same interval posted above with standard oil (whatever brand is on sale), but it also doesn't get beat on or revved even close to redline.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

I use Pennzoil yellow bottle for about 20 years now 10-30 with a Purolator filter<NO ECORE> usually go 5k-6k without any issues. Even my old jeep with the old flat tappet cam in it has almost 300k miles on it and runs like new, No oil usage.

In all my LS engines I use the same without any oil related problems.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:32 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

German Castrol 0W-30 has a very high shear and temperature breakdown rating. It's highly rated over at BITOG-and those guys are reallyREALLY **** about their oils.

I'm not sure about the 0W-40.

I use it in everything I own and use it in every friend's car that I maintain.

I have about sixty quarts on hand-all from the sales at Pep Boys and Auto Zone.

Wix is an excellent filter-and if you can use a tall one, even better.

When I need an off the shelf oil filter, I reach for a Mobile1 Extended filter. My vehicles use Fleetguard filters. I'm pretty **** about my lubrication too
Old 12-17-2013, 05:33 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Oh I forgot to mention (some of you have expected this from me):

NEVER USE FRAM OIL FILTERS.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

.....I use the cheapest Quality oil I find on sale at walmart..........I never heard a quiet LS engine...THERE is No such thing.....
^I think this speaks volumes^.

OP - I've tried at least 6 different brands, types, and weights of oil and Euro Formula Castrol clearly produced the quietest valvetrain. I also run the long Wix filter with no problems.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:29 AM
Staging Lane

Better than what? I'm not trying to start a argument just been down this oily road too many times. I never seen ANY oil that saved a engine from anything, If you are going to run on the edge and think the oil will save you from disaster you need a different hobby. ANY good standard off the shelve oil will protect as well as the Castrol will. Do you actually think they know more than the other major oil companies?

I'll tell you the secret to a long lasting LS engine, keep the oil overfilled and check it often. I always run 6 1/2 qts and check it every 500 miles. Most LS engines use a lot of oil and even one full throttle run with low oil will do damage.
Yes other oils will protect but when the GC generally has better oil analysis I'd rather use it. It's the better to have and not need than need and not have mentality. I run Motul 7100 ($17.00 a quart) in my motorcycle and would rather run then Motul 300V but I can never find it. Sure it costs more, but again it's been proven to be a better oil and I feel better knowing the oil I run is be benifiting the engine atleast a little. Now my daily driver is a different story. I go with a good name brand oil each time that's on sale and keep it clean. Clean oil is definitely a must like you said.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
German Castrol 0W-30 has a very high shear and temperature breakdown rating. It's highly rated over at BITOG-and those guys are reallyREALLY **** about their oils.

I'm not sure about the 0W-40.

I use it in everything I own and use it in every friend's car that I maintain.

I have about sixty quarts on hand-all from the sales at Pep Boys and Auto Zone.

Wix is an excellent filter-and if you can use a tall one, even better.

When I need an off the shelf oil filter, I reach for a Mobile1 Extended filter. My vehicles use Fleetguard filters. I'm pretty **** about my lubrication too
Sixty quarts is insane lol. I will def be stocking up on the 0W-30 after this oil change.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:47 AM
Staging Lane

I use to run Valvoline on my 4.8 but you could hear all the valvetrain...now using this and problem solved!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:55 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by ajzcamaro
Sixty quarts is insane lol. I will def be stocking up on the 0W-30 after this oil change.
With all the oil changes I do that sixty can quickly become 30. And who knows when it goes on sale again.

Quick Reply: German Castrol oil thoughts.