Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it really necessary to change the lifters when rebuilding?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 06:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it really necessary to change the lifters when rebuilding?

Yeah, yeah...might as well replace them while you got everything apart. But when building on a budget and considering ls7 lifters (or any other lifters) cost $250 (not in the US and ordering, when you include shipping, ends up being around the same amount), is it really worth replacing them if they look fine??

I understand it is a "precaution". But how big of a deal is replacing lifters when rebuilding... really?
Old 12-24-2013, 06:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"Look fine"?? The lifters in my freshly built, [by a race engine shop], were found to be full of all kinds of crap. NOT HAPPY.
I pulled 2 to degree the cam, and thot they looked a bit used. Further inspection revealed, once I took a couple apart, they was full of dirty oil, sludge, and who knows what else.
That was a red flag. I continued to look...Next, the oil pump cover had bolts stripped out...REALLY pissed off, now.

Bottom line: Check them, B4 you mess up the engine.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand trying to save money, but this could cost you in the long run.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Define rebuild?
Why were you "rebuilding" in the first place?
Old 12-24-2013, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

I've learned my lesson from cheaping out. not doing it anymore.

one time I built a budget 496 BBC--- around 520 horsepowers. I didn't want to spend the time and money converting it to full roller and instead put in an extreme energy high lift flat tappet--- scrubbed a lobe on break in. never again.

also know a guy who got an all steel hummer shortblock for his 6.5 diesel truck. swapped his top end over, didn't put new lifters in. one month later, blew a lifter out, toasted the cam.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, it is necessary. Brian Tooley sells slow leakdown lifters for $199. A very nice product.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Is it necessary I drink my own urine? No but I can, I would replace if the have a far amount of miles on them, going to be used with a larger cam. And peace of mind.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

When I was a kid I knew someone who had a Sunbird and if you drove it it would blow the head gasket, so moral of the story is don't drive your car.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just last spring I reused my lifters in my 4.8 thinking they were fine on a budget rebuild (bearings, rings, lap valves and timing chain) fired her up no problems as soon as I hit 2500 rpm's for a few miles and click click yup had to replace the lifters lesson learned don't reuse them
Old 12-24-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright guys...i was kinda expecting y'all to say that.

What ever happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"??

I figured if they look OK, then why replace them? I mean, the way i see it, lifters are very simple devices...there isn't much to them. I'm thinking it is advised to change them cz they are cheap parts so why not replace them while you are there just for peace of mind.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the crankshaft, piston rods, valves...etc. would also be recommended to be changed during a rebuild had they been cheap parts like lifters. And they wear equally to the lifters.

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
"Look fine"?? The lifters in my freshly built, [by a race engine shop], were found to be full of all kinds of crap. NOT HAPPY.
I pulled 2 to degree the cam, and thot they looked a bit used. Further inspection revealed, once I took a couple apart, they was full of dirty oil, sludge, and who knows what else.
That was a red flag. I continued to look...Next, the oil pump cover had bolts stripped out...REALLY pissed off, now.

Bottom line: Check them, B4 you mess up the engine.
Whats wrong with cleaning them an putting them back together?? They are just 7-8 part devices that are made of steel and wouldn't get damaged if you disassembled them.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Define rebuild?
Why were you "rebuilding" in the first place?
Rebuilding because of bad piston rings.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A lot of people change them for peace of mind, old stuff breaks for no reason sometimes..

Its a risk you have to take, probably a small risk but that's up to you to decide..

Stock rebuild I would reuse lifters.

New cam build I would buy new lifters so the lifter wheels are fresh and ready for the new cam surface..
Old 12-24-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

why not replace them ? if you gona rebuild it do it right the first time
The following users liked this post:
NDFORSPD (04-29-2020)
Old 12-24-2013, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id also def do the lifters. i went with the lunati link bar lifters. they were a little more than the ls7s but they get rid of those stupid plastic trays in there that can eventually wear out anyways. they have two levels of them too they have the normal cast ones which i got but then if you really wanna spend $ they have the forged ones. i think for most people cast is good enough
Old 12-24-2013, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Freefallin
Alright guys...i was kinda expecting y'all to say that.

What ever happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"??

I figured if they look OK, then why replace them? I mean, the way i see it, lifters are very simple devices...there isn't much to them. I'm thinking it is advised to change them cz they are cheap parts so why not replace them while you are there just for peace of mind.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the crankshaft, piston rods, valves...etc. would also be recommended to be changed during a rebuild had they been cheap parts like lifters. And they wear equally to the lifters.

Whats wrong with cleaning them an putting them back together?? They are just 7-8 part devices that are made of steel and wouldn't get damaged if you disassembled them.

Rebuilding because of bad piston rings.

Stock stuff is pretty good, I would only look at rods if doing pistons and would only do pistons if going forged. Stock crank the ONLY reason to consider replacing it is for a longer stroke it is very strong and baring bearing failure does not really wear.

On the lifters I haven't really been inside an LS yet but on LT1s as a rule I reused original lifters which are interchangable with the LS so it is relevant and never had a failure and neither have any of my friends who I help. I have taken stock original LT1 lifters to 68-6900 without a problem with the LT1's harder to control valvetrain and I have run the "Cadillac racing lifters" without any problem as well to 7000rpm. No titanium retainers, no hollow valves, larger LT1 stem diameter, heavier LT1 aftermarket rockers. Even the larger cam diameter of an LS makes the valvetrain easier to control.

Many head porting shops reuse stock valves too, they are high quality pieces.

Don't get caught up in replacing things just because they are stock, lots of stock stuff is quite good. NOBODY in the aftermarket has the resources or the longevity goals of the OEMs.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yeah...forgot to mention...its a stock rebuild
Old 12-26-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I disassemble brand new lifters and clean and lube them anyway... tedious, yes... but I occasionally find one dirty from the factory.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

I always run new lifters with cam change, I'm sure in most instances you can get away with reusing em but 100 or so bucks for a new set is not much for piece of mind
Old 12-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

The LS7 lifters aren't really an upgrade to stock LS1 lifters. It's just what GM uses now.

The only reason you'd put them in is if you have a ton of miles on LS1 lifters. But, I'd look at BTR SLR lifters or Street Morels. Actually get something that's an upgrade.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

if your short of money and are going to use your old lifters make sure the body and roller are in good shape. take them apart and soak them in carburetor cleaner over night. don't mix up lifter parts and put them back in the same lifter bore. lube lifter parts when reassembling and soak finished lifters in engine oil. I have done a couple of v6's that had a horrible lifter noise and that are now quiet after thousands of miles. but new lifters are a good investment if going to all the trouble on a rebuild.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Is it necessary I drink my own urine? No but I can, I would replace if the have a far amount of miles on them, going to be used with a larger cam. And peace of mind.
is this a line from the movie dodgeball?

Quick Reply: Is it really necessary to change the lifters when rebuilding?