Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to change oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to change oil pump?

Hello, I drive a 00 camaro z28 and whenever I start it up the change oil light always comes on and stays on for about a minute no matter how soon it had been changed. Also there is a squeeking noise coming from the front of the engine and all Pulleys and serpentine belt has been changed. The squeaking gets faster w/rpm's. The real question I have is, should I stay with the gm oil pump or is there a better alternative that I should upgrade to? Also what other things should I buy and change along with the pump?
Old 12-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Ported ls6 pump works great.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:33 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Are you resetting the oil change light whenever you change the oil?
Old 12-28-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing seems to be wrong with yout oil pump. Probably your tensioner making the sound. And could be a bad sensor or youre not reseting the meter
Old 12-28-2013, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The change oil light is basically a crank revolution counter. It is not vaguely possible for it to even begin to indicate any oiling problem inside the engine.

Have you tried briefly running the engine without the belt. Keep it brief and you wont overheat anything but could give you some actual reasonable way to tell if it is internal instead of you completely baseless suspicion based on the change oil light.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Haha I have never had an oil change light on any of my previous cars and this is my first f-body. No I haven't been resetting it, I'll look it up and do that next time lol... Will try running w/out a belt in a few days and seeing if squeaking persists. Still kinda want to change the oil pump just because I don't know if the previous owner ever did and I want to be sure I'm not going to have an unexpected failure any time soon. I've heard I need to change the balancer bolt and gears and chain too ?

edit: Also, I have changed tensioner, idler pulley, belt, and water pump already.

Quick Reply: Time to change oil pump?