Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intercooler size vs bumper opening? choosing for the right application.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default intercooler size vs bumper opening? choosing for the right application.

I have been wondering about this topic.

for powergoals of 500-600whp. im thinking bigger core the better.

but seeing that my bumper opening is MUCH smaller is there any benifits to running such a big core where half of it doesnt even get that air flow?

example. lets say your bumper opening is a square shape of 24"x7"
and you can fit 24x12x3 core.

but only 24x7x3 of the core actually gets air flow from the outside the rest is hiding behing your crash support.

is there a benefit of running the bigger core vs 24x7x3?

also i was thinking if your only matching the bumper opening usually you can fit THICKER core since its an opening w/ nothing getting in the way.
so you can most likely fit 4 or 5" thick core? (if available in 5")

would it be more beneficial to run a smaller core BUT thicker or bigger core BUT thinner ?

street use.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

get and read maxim boost, by corky bell. It has how to find that out.

And the IC takes up room, so its not like a 20x7 core needs a 20x7 feeding, it depends of how dence the IC is. And Ive been told dont look at a IC for flow look at it more as a heat sink.

and for going thicker. The best way to say it for the IC removing heat was- the 1st 25% of the thickness dose 50% of the cooling.
So for heat removal it would be better to have a 30x30, 1/2 thick then have the same core area but way thicker, whatever the math is. Like 10x10 but 5 inches thick or whatever. But thats not the best way to have the engine air flow thu the IC core. 3inch charge pipes going to a endtank for 30x 1/2 would suck, so you have to compromise. I'm a NA guy turbo **** is east to make power so I dont know that much just some of the basic junk about it.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:40 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

basically get the biggest one you can fit...widest and tallest.....
thickness is not as important as surface area....but when you get as tall and as wide as you can fit, get the thickest one you can fit in that size.

Quick Reply: intercooler size vs bumper opening? choosing for the right application.