Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improved Racing Crank Scrapers

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 10:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

UPDATE: We've started receiving crank scraper products! Attached are the pictures for the 4.000" stroker scrapers and windage tray, part numbers EGM-741A and EGM-742A. Using our application table, http://www.improvedracing.com/tech/c...ation-list.php, you'll be able to see what cars and oil pans these parts apply to. Other scraper models are being finished-up and are being verified for quality and fitment before they ship-out.
Attached Thumbnails Improved Racing Crank Scrapers-img_0838.jpg   Improved Racing Crank Scrapers-img_0847.jpg   Improved Racing Crank Scrapers-img_0834.jpg   Improved Racing Crank Scrapers-img_0867.jpg   Improved Racing Crank Scrapers-img_0870.jpg  

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 06-13-2016, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ImprovedRacing
UPDATE: We've started receiving crank scraper products! Attached are the pictures for the 4.000" stroker scrapers and windage tray, part numbers EGM-741A and EGM-742A. Using our application table, http://www.improvedracing.com/tech/c...ation-list.php, you'll be able to see what cars and oil pans these parts apply to. Other scraper models are being finished-up and are being verified for quality and fitment before they ship-out.
Judgeing by your site you no longer sell the 301 that was on the first page..i run a moroso pan and was looking to buy just the 3.622 scraper
Old 06-13-2016, 12:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
Judgeing by your site you no longer sell the 301 that was on the first page..i run a moroso pan and was looking to buy just the 3.622 scraper
The scrapers are now specific to certain oil pans, as they are designed to work with the oil pan and pickup tube. Which Moroso pan do you have? One customer is using the Moroso F-Body pan and told us it fits with the factory F-Body windage tray, and if that's the case you can just use our F-Body scraper and windage tray kit. We will be adding additional aftermarket pans to our application list as we verify fitment.

Note the scrapers cannot be used with the factory windage tray; you must use our tray. You can use it without a windage tray, but that isn't recommended for most oil pans.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any idea when you you expect to ship out recent orders? I recently ordered EGM-730AF and was told it would ship late May. Getting anxious
Old 06-13-2016, 04:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by RollingDumpster
Any idea when you you expect to ship out recent orders? I recently ordered EGM-730AF and was told it would ship late May. Getting anxious
We're getting more scrapers in every day and expect to have all of our products in stock and shipping by the end of the week.

The scraper and tray combinations that are currently available and are already shipping include:
EGM-730
EGM-730A
EGM-730F
EGM-741A
EGM-216
EGM-216A
EGM-218A

Please use our application table on the website to determine if these part numbers fit your vehicle. Here is the link for convenience: http://www.improvedracing.com/tech/c...ation-list.php

Old 06-14-2016, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

The scrapers are now specific to certain oil pans, as they are designed to work with the oil pan and pickup tube. Which Moroso pan do you have? One customer is using the Moroso F-Body pan and told us it fits with the factory F-Body windage tray, and if that's the case you can just use our F-Body scraper and windage tray kit. We will be adding additional aftermarket pans to our application list as we verify fitment.

Note the scrapers cannot be used with the factory windage tray; you must use our tray. You can use it without a windage tray, but that isn't recommended for most oil pans.
It has a moroso 20143 pan on it and currently have a custom windage tray..i was looking for just a scrapper so i could adapt it to my setup..

But your post in a tad confusing the start you say they are pick up and pan specific now and a guy is using the f body one with a factory f body tray and moroso pan but then go on to say the scrapers only work with your trays..

Ill ask this because i can get my hands on the 301 still and them wasnt tray or pan specific right?

Last edited by suicidal racing; 06-14-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It has a moroso 20143 pan on it and currently have a custom windage tray..i was looking for just a scrapper so i could adapt it to my setup..
We ordered a Moroso pickup tube, part number 24050, to verify that our scraper and windage tray will work with it. They are on back-order, so it may take a while to find out.

If it bolts up, you can use our windage tray.

If it doesn't bolt up, we will try to update the windage tray to make it work on the next batch, but you can most likely also grind some material off the windage tray to make it bolt up. The windage tray is aluminum, so it will be easy to modify.

If you want to go ahead and order our kit and let us know if it will bolt up, that would be awesome. You can always return it for free if you decide not to use it, but you can probably easily modify the tray to make it fit anyway.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

We ordered a Moroso pickup tube, part number 24050, to verify that our scraper and windage tray will work with it. They are on back-order, so it may take a while to find out.

If it bolts up, you can use our windage tray.

If it doesn't bolt up, we will try to update the windage tray to make it work on the next batch, but you can most likely also grind some material off the windage tray to make it bolt up. The windage tray is aluminum, so it will be easy to modify.

If you want to go ahead and order our kit and let us know if it will bolt up, that would be awesome. You can always return it for free if you decide not to use it, but you can probably easily modify the tray to make it fit anyway.
I will inform you that pick up tube will more then likely not clear your windage tray..when i have used that pickup with truck and f body trays you have to notch out a spot of tray because the foot of the tube that mounts to the main stud will interfere..

I was editing my last post while you replied and added more to it..the old 301 part number wasnt tray spacific right? From what i read it was originally designed to work on most pan setups..like i said i can still get that scraper it will just have to come from over seas..i already run a custom tray so im not looking to change that just needing a scraper and figured $100 aint to bad to see if it would work for my app..but buying a new tray that ill have to mod and make fit to my specs to get the scraper just aint logical once i factor in the time of doing that plus the time and money i have into my current tray..turns a $200 item to a $400 item once i factor everything in you know.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I will inform you that pick up tube will more then likely not clear your windage tray..when i have used that pickup with truck and f body trays you have to notch out a spot of tray because the foot of the tube that mounts to the main stud will interfere..

I was editing my last post while you replied and added more to it..the old 301 part number wasnt tray spacific right? From what i read it was originally designed to work on most pan setups..like i said i can still get that scraper it will just have to come from over seas..i already run a custom tray so im not looking to change that just needing a scraper and figured $100 aint to bad to see if it would work for my app..but buying a new tray that ill have to mod and make fit to my specs to get the scraper just aint logical once i factor in the time of doing that plus the time and money i have into my current tray..turns a $200 item to a $400 item once i factor everything in you know.
We will take a look and hopefully we can update the design to work with it. We plan to making out trays work with other popular pans from Canton, Autokraft, etc as well.

Yes, the EGM-301 wasn't pan specific because it is sandwiched under the factory tray. But there were some limitations and compromises with this design. It had to be made from somewhat material thin in order to not space the pickup tube down too far, and still spaces it down a little lower than stock. It's also difficult to align because you have to remove the windage tray nuts to bolt the tray over it, making it difficult to check clearances without moving the scraper. However with the F-Body setup it's easier since the tray is shorter and you can leave two of the nuts attached. The old scrapers are also not completely bolt on for stroker applications because you still need to modify the factory windage tray to make it work, and the pickup tube gets lowered significantly, etc.

But I agree, in your case it might be easier to just source a EGM-301 and use it with your current tray. Just be sure to check pickup tube clearance to the bottom of the pan.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for your time and the info..i always check the pick up to but that is a good thing to tell people because some i sure dont.

Thanks
Tony
Old 06-15-2016, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I see that the new batch of scrapers are much thicker than the older versions. What is the reasoning for this? Does it work that much better at getting the oil off the crank or is it more of a structural update?
Old 06-15-2016, 12:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by redtan
I see that the new batch of scrapers are much thicker than the older versions. What is the reasoning for this? Does it work that much better at getting the oil off the crank or is it more of a structural update?
There are several reasons and it's a bit complicated.

What it boils down to is we wanted to make the scraper stronger, lighter, and locate the pickup tube in the exact location of the factory tube. The previous design had to be thin because it was sandwiched under the factory tray, which meant it had to be steel which has a lower strength to weight ratio than aluminum, and the pickup tube was still spaced down below the factory height.

In order to address these concerns, we had to go with our own custom windage tray. This also has the advantage of being a bolt on solution for strokers without any mods required. We also had to make the tray bolt to the scraper instead of the main cap studs, which has the additional benefit of allowing careful checking of the scraper tolerances as you have full access to it before installing the windage tray.

To make all of this work, and to make it out of aluminum so that it's lighter but much stronger, we had to make the scraper much thicker. So the new scraper does also have the advantage of acting like an engine girdle and adding strength to the block as well.

Oil control performance does improve a bit because we have better drainage than the gen 1 setup with the factory tray, and the 2nd gen scrapers have a lot more versions available for exact fitment in more applications. The whole assembly is much stronger and lighter than the factory windage tray and the gen 1 scraper setup.

Hope that made sense.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It does thanks, so it basically replaces the windage tray then?
Old 06-15-2016, 01:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by redtan
It does thanks, so it basically replaces the windage tray then?
Yes, it just replaces the factory windage tray. Check out the pics in a previous post.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Put on my f body scraper today. Fits great. Thanks

Old 11-07-2016, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LS2 bottom end in a V. Looking good so far.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed my crank scraper and had to trim a decent chunk off 8 of the tabs that interfered with my rods. Wouldn't allow full rotation with the require .020" clearance. I ended up grinding off around 1/8" of material. This is still a great product and its expected that modification comes with the territory for a custom build.

Combo is
LS3 block with ARP studs
Stock 58X GM crank
Lunati Rods

Old 11-07-2016, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by RollingDumpster
I just installed my crank scraper and had to trim a decent chunk off 8 of the tabs that interfered with my rods. Wouldn't allow full rotation with the require .020" clearance. I ended up grinding off around 1/8" of material. This is still a great product and its expected that modification comes with the territory for a custom build.

Combo is
LS3 block with ARP studs
Stock 58X GM crank
Lunati Rods

Nice job! Sorry we don't have the scraper for factory stroke + aftermarket rods available yet. Our machine shop is really backed up right now, but we will hopefully have them available soon!

Old 12-15-2016, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on expanded offerings?

I am running a 3.625 Callies Dragonslayer with Callies Ultra H Beams and a truck pan.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine went on no problem, great product. Just to verify locktite is not required on the nuts securing the scraper to the block. I am running a factory short block and do not have ARP studs.

Quick Reply: Improved Racing Crank Scrapers