Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 swap and no oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq4 swap and no oil pressure

Hi i just did a swap in my 1998 ta and no oil pressure. Pulled oil pump back out and got a new o ring from chevy. The new one is blue the old one was red. Engine had 42 at idle before swap its out of a 04. Swapped pan pickup windage tray.only problem that i had with swap was putting the gearbox back in. I had to be rough with it after hrs i was to that point sorry to say. Hell i pulled engine out threw the hood and it was way easy and more rhen enough room. Did take lots of pics for a later post plz help i want to drive my baby shes been down a year
Old 01-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Pulled oil pump again o ring is good and o filter had oil in it.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:19 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Did you check with a mechanical gauge? It's very easy to damage the oil sending unit...

Also, when you swapped the windage tray and pickup, did you check to make sure the pan to pickup clearance was good? I believe .300" is ideal.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:39 AM
Teching In

No i didnt check im starting to think i knocked the back side of the crank out i can get some oil to filter and priming with air in the dipstick i see 20 psi at cranking
Old 01-14-2014, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Did you check with a mechanical gauge? It's very easy to damage the oil sending unit...

Also, when you swapped the windage tray and pickup, did you check to make sure the pan to pickup clearance was good? I believe .300" is ideal.
X2, Check with a mechanical gauge, also don't overlook the oil barbell restrictor if you didn't check it already.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Teching In

No oil pumping up lifters barbell is my next step and to check crank. I didnt take back cover off engine so bar bell is in there. This engine ran great only had 12000 ish on it after. Rebuild looks new inside its out of my freinds truck he totaled was still running when i pulled it 42 psi at idle and just under 80 at 6000 all i did is swap pan pickup and tray all went together smooth ans put a cam and springs in and pushrods same pump same chain its new and no marks in pump checked spring and plunger in pump algood there. I had a hell of a time getting gearbox in by myself had to pull it with the bolts but it pulled smooth no binding and went in even. I called engine lab they told me crank is solid on the back side that the pilot bushing couldnt do anything to the crank even if i smashed in there.plz help anyone i dont want to pull the gearbox for no reason
Old 01-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Hd similar issue. Check and make sure your front freeze plug/oil plug is in.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:12 AM
Teching In

I did check front plug its there pulled pump all apart again algood there relief moves free. O ring looked lije nasa had put it in. Plus i made a pump setup at work to check and to prime block up. I took a kohler fuel pump from efi set run 40 psi i put t tape on the ends of the fuel line to get them the size i needed and pumped oil threw the pick up and back into the pan. To check pick up wasnt cracked or bottom out. Good there put pump in with no gears and checked my oring seal good there. Put the hose into the out side of pump and pumped oil out filter hole. Put filter on and let pump block up. It never came out the top i have the valve cover off. From my last start up to check and nothing up there still.so i ran the hose back to oil filter and pumped it threw and it sounded like it was pumping it into the pan so. Guessing that some how someway the barbell broke from when i pressured up block the first time. Or when engine ws rebuilt 12000 miles ago they put a plug in insted and i blow it out. Or back to my first thought and pilot bushing messed up back of crank but everyone tells me its solid crank
Old 02-12-2014, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You ever get tis figured out? I'm having same issue. Engine was on a stand for a few months after being pulled from a running truck.

Placed my cam, heads intake and oil pan on it. Started up and no oil pressure, replaced OPSU still nothing replaced oil pump still nothing. Oil ring for pickup is good. But I'm not getting any oil to the filter

Quick Reply: lq4 swap and no oil pressure