Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine build up questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine build up questions...

I am wondering what size rods do you use if you're putting in a 4.00" crank? also i see alot of ppl using iron blocks for build ups, I'm wondering if a bored LS1 block will work for a 418 build up? what are the differences besides weight between the iron blocks and aluminum ones? and more importantly,which one will hold up under long drives to the track and back better?
Old 05-10-2004, 11:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default rod length, blocks

Standard rod length used with 4" arm is 6.125". These come in most of the available kits, like the one Lunati sells.

At .060" over the iron block (sonic tested of course) will yield 414 cubic inches with a 4" arm.

I am a co-inventor of the Darton MID sleeves and machine quite a few blocks for Darton, shops and individuals. With a 4.125" bore 4" stroke you end up with 428". The current sleeves will go to a max. bore size of 4.160" for 435" with the 4" stroke. The MID sleeved blocks are working out very well. Much lighter than the iron block, much stronger walls, plus the sleeves can be replaced individually should one get damaged - broken ring, etc.

Steve Demirjian
Race Engine Development

Originally Posted by RAMnGO
I am wondering what size rods do you use if you're putting in a 4.00" crank? also i see alot of ppl using iron blocks for build ups, I'm wondering if a bored LS1 block will work for a 418 build up? what are the differences besides weight between the iron blocks and aluminum ones? and more importantly,which one will hold up under long drives to the track and back better?