Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 and LS3 looking for info on my build now!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LQ4 and LS3 looking for info on my build now!

ok guys i am looking for info on my LQ4 build i know LS3 heads and intake will bolt up and work blocks off to the machine shop doing a 408 or 413 he's waiting on my decision. I am going to order the assembly this weekend. My question is which way do i need to go as far as wiring and ecu for the ls3 setup i am planning on this being in my 3rd gen roller. M block is an 02 LQ4 so i am trying to decipher some of the treads I've been reading.
first is knock sensors and thing of that nature do i need to move them from the lifter valley or do i leave them?
also am i just able to run a f-body harness and adapt everything.
plus do i stay with 24x or 58x reluctor wheel.
any other info or qeustions would be helpful..
also been thinking carb with msd 6ls too but really love the fuel injections dependability.
i have found some treads on some things but they seem to end up on totally other subjects.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by saylorZ28
ok guys i am looking for info on my LQ4 build i know LS3 heads and intake will bolt up and work blocks off to the machine shop doing a 408 or 413 he's waiting on my decision. I am going to order the assembly this weekend. My question is which way do i need to go as far as wiring and ecu for the ls3 setup i am planning on this being in my 3rd gen roller. M block is an 02 LQ4 so i am trying to decipher some of the treads I've been reading.
first is knock sensors and thing of that nature do i need to move them from the lifter valley or do i leave them?
also am i just able to run a f-body harness and adapt everything.
plus do i stay with 24x or 58x reluctor wheel.
any other info or qeustions would be helpful..
also been thinking carb with msd 6ls too but really love the fuel injections dependability.
i have found some treads on some things but they seem to end up on totally other subjects.
Also include "LQ9" in your searches . . . The LQ4 & LQ9 blocks are the same.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We can set you up anyway you would like! If you want to go 24x or 58x, no problems. If you go fuel injected, we can set you up with an electronic throttle body or manual. If you want to go carb, we can set you up with that too! Most computer/harness options are around $1000.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

yea i know i will have to go custom harness to incorporate the third gens factory harness.
i know the block sensors are different from year to year. just trying to find out the best way to go i would hate to by the wrong pieces and or parts and have to do a bunch of hoop jumping to figure out what i did wrong.
i do know i am going ls3 heads and intake 02 6.0 iron block. I've seen Thompson has good deals on balanced assemblies.
i know there is a difference in the LS3 intake from the LS6 ones just trying to figure out what that is i may be able to retro fit one from a 02 z28 or ta. this is my first LSx build and although i know i can throw a ton of money out and have plug -n play don't think my budget will allow it lol..
the 58x reluctor is for the newer ls platform correct or can it be used with a 98 -02 ecms?
Old 02-14-2014, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

if your block is an 02, you wont have provisions on the side to relocate your knock sensors and the crank is already a 24x. Forget trying to use a 98 PCM, they aren't wired the same way (however you will need a 98 coolant temp sensor and oil pressure sender). Use a 99-02 Fbody harness as a starting point and source an 0411 PCM from a 99-02 Fbody (or one of the million other vehicles they came in). I would not go through the trouble of going to a 58X. If you're doing LS3 heads, you need to use an L92, L76 (recommended as an LS1 MAP bolts right to it), or an LS3 manifold. None of the cathedral manifolds (LS1, LS2, LS6, etc.) will bolt up.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

This info mostly covers 4th gen Fbodies, but it is still a good source.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...on-sticky.html

Also, the_merv is a great person to ask about wiring up LS1 PCMs into swap vehicles, although I'm not sure about how much 3rd gen stuff he's messed with.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

great info thanks!
well i had been thinking standalone, but then i would have to figure out my gauges and odds and ends

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LQ4 and LS3 looking for info on my build now!