Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Rebuild Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rebuild Questions

2001 Corvette, LS1, 165K miles, 6-speed. Had a knocking noise in topend and I found the below. I guess the lifter collapsed and the freeplay caused the issue. If not, what then?

Here are the questions:

1. Since I have the engine out and with the mileage on it, I decided to replace the oil pump, water pump, clutch, slave, and biscuits in the torque tube. Anything else?

2. Going back with stock cam, so I don't need to change the springs, but the gasket kit comes with valve seals. Should I install them?

3. Oilpan has black tar/gunk in it. Had to use brake cleaner and scraper to get it out. Should I remove the rotating assembly and have the block tanked?

4. I screwed up and didn't mark the balancer. How do I install it? I don't see any weights in it.

5. Anything else I need to do.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Bump

100+ views and not one reply? C'mon guys.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are the questions:

1. Since I have the engine out and with the mileage on it, I decided to replace the oil pump, water pump, clutch, slave, and biscuits in the torque tube. Anything else?

2. Going back with stock cam, so I don't need to change the springs, but the gasket kit comes with valve seals. Should I install them?

3. Oilpan has black tar/gunk in it. Had to use brake cleaner and scraper to get it out. Should I remove the rotating assembly and have the block tanked?

4. I screwed up and didn't mark the balancer. How do I install it? I don't see any weights in it.

5. Anything else I need to do.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

#1 & #2 This is just my opinion, I would do a very mild cam and new set of single beehive springs. Change the valve seals while your in there and its all apart. I would also do a ls2 timing chain while your at it. The springs would be a must for me with your miles even if you do go with a stock cam.

#3 I wouldn't tare in to the bottom end unless you think you need too. I would just give it a few seafoam treatments after you get her all back together.

#4 The stock balancer can go back on any way you wish, there's no timing or any thing. One tip go to the hardware store and get a bolt thats about 1" longer than the stock bolt and use that to get the pully started on the crank snout.

#5 Use a good zinc oil or Lucas zinc additive for the first start up and few hundred miles. Joe Gibbs oil, Valvoline VR-1 to get those new lifters on a new cam.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Rebuild time.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Thanks Conan
Old 03-02-2014, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm rebuilding a 5.3 which only had 64,00 miles on it, just decided to rebuild and start from fresh.

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild Questions