Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate drag cam for stock heads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 05:16 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ultimate drag cam for stock heads?

Well after thinking about it, Im probably gonna try to maximize on my cam only setup and then whenever I have money for heads, I will do so and probably change the cam as well unless there are choices out there that will dominate with stock heads, but will also do awesome with heads. My next big expense on the car is a 12 bolt and after that, it will be a while before I have the money for heads. So if I had a choice right now to pick between a cam thats going to dominate with stock heads or with race heads, Id have to say with stock heads. Reason for that choice is because once I dump the money into the rear, Im going to be flat out broke. So I whatever cam I go with Im going to have it in the car for a while. So what cam do you recommend be the ultimate drag cam for stock heads? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ultimate would be a custom grind specifically tailored to your exact set up.

I would call your favorite sponsor that does custom grinds and see what the two of you can come up with.

Last edited by equandt; 05-14-2004 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:06 PM
9 Second Club NA

Most of my mods are in my sig., I was trying to broaden my options vs. asking just a sponsor. Dont get me wrong, I want sponsors suggestions/opinions also, but I want suggestions/opinions from my fellow LS1 Tech members as well. I plan to go with a different converter as well as soon as the cash is available. If I can sell mine, then it may happen a lot sooner. Not sure what serious or company, but probably in the upper 4ks. Ill be running a Strange 12 bolt with 3.90 gears.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Well much depends on your idea of what you mean to "dominate" and your gaol. Is this a DD, wknd warrior or all out race car you're puttin together?

WG
Old 05-13-2004, 10:09 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well I drive the car from time to time, mainly one or two days out of the weekend and Im talking only 50 miles. But its main use is at the strip 1 or 2 times a week. It just depends on the weather, it maybe fall on a Friday or it may fall on a Sunday. I dont drive the car much anymore, just to and from the track and maybe one weekend day if the weather is nice. Anyhow, when I do take it to the track, I want it to do absolutely awesome for a cam only car. I dont know a whole lot about cams, but I want the cam to get me to the end of the track the fastest. I know some cams are lower end cams, some are higher end cams, and some are in between. I dunno really how to put it in words, that is why I just said a cam thats going to perform incredibly with stock heads.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Have you thought about thunder racing's Trex cam it should do the tric coach just ran 10's with stock heads with that cam it's prolly the biggist you can go with stock heads with out fly cutting the pistons.
Jimmy
Old 05-13-2004, 10:47 PM
9 Second Club NA

I know Coach's car is doing awesome, but you cant compare his car to mine. His car is strictly set up for the strip while mine is still in the middle of the road, but Im working on it. He has a 4800-5000 stall converter, 30" tires, 5.13 gears, and weighs 3200 lbs. with him in it! My car only has a 4000 stall and isnt Yank's race series, 3.42 gears, 26" tires, and 3300 lbs. with me in it. I know that cam is putting out some crazy numbers, but its just my guess that its a top end cam. I dunno, Im sure if he would of went with any other cam, it would of push him over the edge to break into the 10s because he was using a small cam before.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:25 AM
9 Second Club NA

Anyone have any suggestions? I had a similar thread to this one, but I have decided that Im just going to shoot for a cam thats going to work with stock heads because its going to be a while before I have the money for heads because a rear end is next on my list. Once I purchase that, I will be broke for a while. So now Im looking for a cam that will dominate at the track with stock heads. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:47 AM
TECH Resident

Something in a 228ish duration with a set of 4:10 gears would do nicely, but you are getting pretty racy then with the big cam, big gears and big converter. The TR cams tend to work very well with stock heads.

A TREX is too big for anything but a race car.

Your current C2 cam is a good one. Personally, I would do some 4:10 gears with that cam and save for a matched head and cam combination...pick the heads then the cam.

Good luck.

Last edited by equandt; 05-17-2004 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been doing some research on this myself, but I have one factor that you don't seem to have, emmissions. I try to get ot the track at least a dozen times a summer, and only drive my car on Friday nights to a local cruise, and sometimes to one on Saturdays too depending on weather. I am looking around at cams in the 580 lift range, with 230 ish duration, 112 lsa at most. If immisions aren't a concern, something like that, but with more duration (240 maybe) and a lower lsa (112, 110) would probably be good. I'm no expert, but question wether 600 lift is really needed to make power. I know the trend is go bigger bigger bigger, but I have seen alot of people making good power with cams that are in teh 550 to 580 range. I think that the stuff in the 600 lift range are not gonna have as wide a torque curve either. But, with a big converter, that also may not be a concern.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:25 PM
9 Second Club NA

I dont know, but do you think there would be any significant gains from a 224 to a 228? I dont mind the big cam, big verter, and big gears because that is what Im trying to do with this car. When I order my 12 bolt, I will have 3.90s. I would go with more gear, but I wanted to give myself some room if I ever wanted to spray. About my current cam, Im ok with it, but I think there are cams out there that will perform better at the track and plus the cam is coming out regardless, so I need to decide on what cam will be going in.