Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 LQ4 Swap, Heads, Intake & Cam - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 LQ4 Swap, Heads, Intake & Cam - HELP!!

Hey guys, I'm new here and need a little help.

I just brought a LQ4 block and I'm planning to put it in a G-Body, 86' El Camino and I need a bit of help. I'm not made of money but I know I can't be a cheap a$$ either and expect much! I don't need +500HP or anything crazy, however, I'd like to increase HP & TQ reasonably, but as cost effectively as possible.

First and foremost is the top end. From my research it looks like I can simply bolt the LS3 intake and LS3 heads, 0821 or 0823, directly to the 6.0 block, is this correct? Meaning no additional modifications other than choosing which gasket.

Cam: Any suggestions on what would offer a slight boost but still considered mild for the most part? Power wise, would the stock cam do fine with the LS3 intake and heads? If I don't HAVE to change it I'd rather not. Again I'm not trying to build some 5-600HP monster.

Using the stock crank, I can use the LQ4 pistons to increase compression ratio correct? Is it possible to use the LS2 pistons? Or what would be a good set of pistons to use to bump compression without having to bore. Also, do any of these option, LQ4, LS2 or otherwise, NOT require balancing or would you recommend it either way?

So basically I'm trying to build a 6.0L LQ4 with LS3 heads and intake, slightly more compression and have it somewhere between 400 & 500HP.

Also, are the 1.8:1 rockers necessary? And would they work well with this set up?

Thanks to all in advance for any help!

Last edited by El Hundo; 03-20-2014 at 07:30 AM. Reason: More info needed
Old 03-19-2014, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The lq4 is a nice platform to start with however to get your compression back into range with the ls3 heads you will need a flat top piston. As you said the ls2 or lq9 set will work. The isue is that lq4 did not use floating pins until 05 like the lq9 and ls2's do. You can make them work with a small amount of tweaking and a rebalance though. I would try to find a set of ls2 rods and pistons together.

The cam you have in there now is not good for the ls3 heads. Ls3's like a wide split because of how well the intake flows vs the exhaust. Something like a 219/231 on 114 or 112 with some advance or somewhere around there would be good. It would still have a small lobe at idle but not be crazy and make good power
Old 03-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Teching In

don't forget about the timing cover needs to be changed. im doing the same swap into a 68 Camaro. you will need a map sensor as well. I bought heads and the intake and now im being told the can sensor is in the back of the block and needs to be moved to the front. correct me if im wrong. still learning all this stuff.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redbird555
The lq4 is a nice platform to start with however to get your compression back into range with the ls3 heads you will need a flat top piston. As you said the ls2 or lq9 set will work. The isue is that lq4 did not use floating pins until 05 like the lq9 and ls2's do. You can make them work with a small amount of tweaking and a rebalance though. I would try to find a set of ls2 rods and pistons together.

The cam you have in there now is not good for the ls3 heads. Ls3's like a wide split because of how well the intake flows vs the exhaust. Something like a 219/231 on 114 or 112 with some advance or somewhere around there would be good. It would still have a small lobe at idle but not be crazy and make good power
That sounds like just about what I'm looking for, jus a bit over the stock lobe! A decent sounding, noticeable idle but nothing absurd.

I also read about changing the rockers, I could possibly find slightly cheaper options on ebay or craigslist or whatever but would something like these http://www.jegs.com/i/Crane+Cams/271/201759-16/10002/-1 work well with the set up we're discussing?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stuck_on_stupid
don't forget about the timing cover needs to be changed. im doing the same swap into a 68 Camaro. you will need a map sensor as well. I bought heads and the intake and now im being told the can sensor is in the back of the block and needs to be moved to the front. correct me if im wrong. still learning all this stuff.
Damn, never heard that Stuck, gonna check into it, thanks for the heads up tho!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

What are you doing for the throttle body and drive-by-wire? I'm curious as my build sounds very similar to yours.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:22 PM
Teching In

only if you do a cam swap. also a way to make it easier is to do get a cam for the f bodys there sensor is in the back as well so you wont need to worry about that at all. just pick up a ls2 timing chain at summit for 30$ I think I have a cam spec that will be good with the set up. im getting the same cam as well. look up ls3 blazer its my neighbors car with the cam. you will need dual springs as well. the ls3 heads are 1.7 so the 1.8 rockers wont work.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jonisalex
What are you doing for the throttle body and drive-by-wire? I'm curious as my build sounds very similar to yours.
Brought a LS3 intake so 90mm tb
Old 03-27-2014, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Also brought these for a decent price.
Attached Thumbnails 2002 LQ4 Swap, Heads, Intake & Cam - HELP!!-img_4237.jpg  
Old 03-27-2014, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by El Hundo
I'm a ways off from completing my build but I also brought these to go along with the LS3 intake for a decent price.
Got them because I wanted higher flow from the rectangular port but I keep seeing different numbers, can anyone tell me EXACTLY what the max lift is on these? And if I ran something like this:

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1615&sb=0

Would I still need to change the springs?
Attached Thumbnails 2002 LQ4 Swap, Heads, Intake & Cam - HELP!!-img_4220.jpg   2002 LQ4 Swap, Heads, Intake & Cam - HELP!!-img_4225.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Can anyone tell me what it means to have a crank turned? I have the chance to purchase a lq9 crank and pistons for a good price but he said its been turned .01 along with the bearings, any help?
Old 03-30-2014, 01:27 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by El Hundo
Can anyone tell me what it means to have a crank turned? I have the chance to purchase a lq9 crank and pistons for a good price but he said its been turned .01 along with the bearings, any help?
No expert but turning the crank means there was wear on it at one point and a machine shop turned it down as into allow bigger bearings to bring everything back into the right tolerances.

Also your cam you picked needs this for lift specs.

you can bring your heads to a machine shop to get your Springs checked to make sure they will work for that lift.

Last edited by NuckenFuts; 03-30-2014 at 01:32 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NuckenFuts
No expert but turning the crank means there was wear on it at one point and a machine shop turned it down as into allow bigger bearings to bring everything back into the right tolerances.

Also your cam you picked needs this for lift specs.

you can bring your heads to a machine shop to get your Springs checked to make sure they will work for that lift.
Yeah, I ended up Googling while waiting but thanks tho. Nonetheless, dude had to wrong pistons anyway. Said it was an lq9 crank and pistons but sent pics and they were lq4 so the hunt is on once again!
Old 03-30-2014, 12:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Our LS3 Stage 1 camshaft is 227/238 .614/.585 115+5 and performs very well. It is mild enough to pull almost the same amount of vacuum as the stock camshaft(48-50kpa as tested at idle) and gives great gains across the board vs. the stock camshaft. It acts very mild while driving at low speeds, but will most certainly let you know it's there when you want it.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Our LS3 Stage 1 camshaft is 227/238 .614/.585 115+5 and performs very well. It is mild enough to pull almost the same amount of vacuum as the stock camshaft(48-50kpa as tested at idle) and gives great gains across the board vs. the stock camshaft. It acts very mild while driving at low speeds, but will most certainly let you know it's there when you want it.
That sounds like the type of cam I'm looking for. Any link(s) so I can do a little more research?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I could send some dyno graphs your way if you would like.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Pretty much done tearing the lq4 apart, she's a little rough but I'm taking the block to a local shop tomorrow or Saturday morning to have the block cleaned, freeze plugs replaced, etc. So here are my option (pretty much no different from anyone else...lol), since I'm taking it to the shop I can simply have it cleaned and rebuild a stock bottom end OR I can have it bored!

Question is: What is the max bore a lq4 can handle or more specifically, can the lq4 handle a .065 bore?

We all know the LS3 bore is 4.065", rod length & stroke being the same as the lq's. I've already brought the LS3 intake & 0821 heads and figured I could make a poor mans LS3, would that bore be safe?

My search for deals has brought about another question: So lets say that bore is fine, if I buy a set of LS3 pistons, can I assemble those on LS2 rods and run it all on a stock lq4 crank?

The shop is going to reassemble the block for the cost of cleaning and boring, basically the reassembling the short block for free so I need to know the sooner the better so I can purchase parts ASAP!

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I could send some dyno graphs your way if you would like.
Sounds good!

Quick Reply: 2002 LQ4 Swap, Heads, Intake & Cam - HELP!!