Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Hey, I'm new here and this is my first post and unfortunately its not really a good one. I just bought a 99 firebird v8, and at the time of the purchase everything seemed fine. The car drove beautifully and shifted great. But when i got home, my friend told me that as i was pulling away at low rpms blue smoke was coming out of the exhaust. So i let the car idle and it seems like when you start it there is a bit of blue smoke but then it turns into white smoke and neither are good. Also during hard acceleration it blows blue smoke out of the exhaust. Any ides on what it can be? I really hope its not a blown head gasket. Also the low coolent light came on, so i decided to check if there is any in the car, when i took the cap off i saw coolent except it was very milky in color. And when i pulled out the dip stick it was only wet on the bottom and the whole stick looked like it had dried up sand on it, I dont think it was sand but just something of a similar color and texture. Any ideas on what it can be? I am taking a car to a mechanic tomorrow but i just want to see what you guys think. Thank you for all the help.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Can you tell us how many miles are on the car, if its a ton you might want to do a compression test on the cylinders.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS6ICK2k
Can you tell us how many miles are on the car, if its a ton you might want to do a compression test on the cylinders.
its 101000
Old 03-25-2014, 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Rings usually cause blue smoke. Milky oil/coolant is usually a head gasket. Head gasket is definitely the lesser of the two evils.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blue smoke is burning oil. Milky coolant is oil mixing with coolant.

Pray that it's only a blown head gasket...that would be the cheapest way out of this mess. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are in for a rebuild or 2nd hand engine.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hope for your sake it's a blown head gasket. If you just bought the car, I would be speaking with the seller about the issues you are having. They had to be known issues. A blown head gasket is one thing but burning that much oil doesn't happen overnight.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:24 PM
Launching!

well i just added some oil to the car and im gonna drive it for 100-200 miles and see how much oil goes away.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
I hope for your sake it's a blown head gasket. If you just bought the car, I would be speaking with the seller about the issues you are having. They had to be known issues. A blown head gasket is one thing but burning that much oil doesn't happen overnight.
I got it off a private seller for cash, there is no returns, sadly.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
You are in for a rebuild or 2nd hand engine.
How much does a rebuild run?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad1995
How much does a rebuild run?
Sorry man i'm in NZ cost me a bloody lot, mods in sig, 2nd rebuild.

Suppose if you are just going to fix what ever issues the engine's having without doing any other mods, it will be a lot cheaper than installing performance mods as well because you're in there.
You need to find out what's wrong now.
If the engine oil is milky I wouldn't be driving it at all, you will only do much more damage.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:51 AM

Head gasket is definitely the lesser of the two evils.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:07 AM
Launching!

Smoking when you let off the gas is generally valve guides, oil sucked into the ports when the throttle blade is closed creating vacuum. Milkshake oil could be anything from blown head gasket to cracked block.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
Sorry man i'm in NZ cost me a bloody lot, mods in sig, 2nd rebuild.

Suppose if you are just going to fix what ever issues the engine's having without doing any other mods, it will be a lot cheaper than installing performance mods as well because you're in there.
You need to find out what's wrong now.
If the engine oil is milky I wouldn't be driving it at all, you will only do much more damage.
A mechanic said that it was normal color, he was the one that suggested running it for a bit to see if oil goes away or not.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

You guys are something else sometimes...

You just got the car. Do some basic maintenance on it. Go have the radiator flushed. Put a thermostat on it too. Change the oil, and put a new oil filter on it. Put some new plugs and wires on it too. Check your PCV valve, and make sure all that is clear. Drive it for a bit, but don't beat on it. See what it does.

Get a compression tester AFTER you have done this. See what it is, and report back here. There are several things that could be causing the blue smoke, like bad valve stem seals.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
You guys are something else sometimes...

You just got the car. Do some basic maintenance on it. Go have the radiator flushed. Put a thermostat on it too. Change the oil, and put a new oil filter on it. Put some new plugs and wires on it too. Check your PCV valve, and make sure all that is clear. Drive it for a bit, but don't beat on it. See what it does.

Get a compression tester AFTER you have done this. See what it is, and report back here. There are several things that could be causing the blue smoke, like bad valve stem seals.
Solid advice!
Old 03-26-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have a compression test and a cooling system pressure check which will determine if there's a blown head gasket. No sense changing oil and flushing the cooling system because the blue and white smoke indicate there's a problem. And don't drive it at all except to a shop that can perform the tests until you figure out whats wrong with it.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Have a compression test and a cooling system pressure check which will determine if there's a blown head gasket. No sense changing oil and flushing the cooling system because the blue and white smoke indicate there's a problem. And don't drive it at all except to a shop that can perform the tests until you figure out whats wrong with it.

The smoke could be from valve stem seals, it could be from a shitty PCV system and it's sucking oil, etc. The dried up sand looking stuff is probably dried up consendation. It happens.

Post a picture of this milky coolant. Someone could have mixed Dex-cool with the green stuff.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dried condensation doesn't turn into sand lol. He can live with a little blue smoke, but white smoke and milky coolant indicate a serious problem.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Dried condensation doesn't turn into sand lol. He can live with a little blue smoke, but white smoke and milky coolant indicate a serious problem.
Eh, I read it wrong. For some reason I thought he meant something that looked like sand on the bottom of the oil cap. Ever pull your cap in the spring or fall when the weather is changing, and there's some kind of brownish milky funk on it from condensation, but the rest of the oil is fine? That's what I was referring to being dried up, not just moisture.

Quick Reply: Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.