Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque specs on ARP rod bolts and rest of shortblock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question torque specs on ARP rod bolts and rest of shortblock?

My machine shop asked me to get the torque specs on everything for him to build my shortblock.

Old 05-14-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked the same thing and was told that stock bolts are torqued to factory specs, and the specs for ARP bolts is in their literature. I personally would go on their site or ask them directly.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:54 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

TQ to factory specs BUT, you need to back the bolt out 3 times before final TQ..

Example: Pull out ONE rod bolt @ a time, install new ARP bolt. TQ to 40 ft lbs(if memory serves correctly), back out, TQ to 40 lbs again, back out, and do your final TQ to 40 ft lbs. You are finished with that bolt. Do each INDIVIDUALLY, VERY IMPORTANT. Other than that, easy as pie..

I did the exact procedure in my shortblock, no problems 10K later and plenty of 7K rpm shifts
Old 05-19-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

just talked to ARP and they told me to torque to 45ft lbs with moly lube and it will be fine. They said I dont need to back them out at all

anyone know what the torque specs are on the mains? I dont think I have arp bolts, I think they are Lunati? Maybe there the same as stock
Old 05-19-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

According to the instructions that come with the ARP rod bolts Damian is correct. ARP is not very good anyway about providing instructions. I bought main cap studs and they had no instructions at all. All called Thunder Racing and they even opened up a new box and they had none.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for the heads up
so if these rod bolts have been used once before would I still need to do that 3 step at 40lbs?

also what were the torque specs on the mains?
Old 05-19-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SStroked 410
My machine shop asked me to get the torque specs on everything for him to build my shortblock.

I'm not sure I'd want a "machine shop" which didn't know all the correct torque specs or where to find them (ARP) assembling my engine, especially if was other than a stocker rebuild. That sounds like a very strange request from a "pro". Maybe this is their first shortblock build up.

IMO, this is a bad sign.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
I'm not sure I'd want a "machine shop" which didn't know all the correct torque specs or where to find them (ARP) assembling my engine, especially if was other than a stocker rebuild. That sounds like a very strange request from a "pro". Maybe this is their first shortblock build up.

IMO, this is a bad sign.
I see exactly what your saying but the request was made by me to have the specs exactly how I want/need them. He saw that I was being very picky
which is why he told me to get the specs to how I want them and it wouldnt be a problem. I wish I had shops like APE out here but I dont. He owns the shop and has been doing this for a long time just not many LS1's. Think about if I just said heres my motor call me when its done. Theres a big chance the ring gaps, clearances, ect could be off from what I want
Old 05-19-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

My rod bolts didn't come with instructions... I found an old link here to the ARP site, and that page said torque them 3 times. I went to their home page, and couldn't find the page that said torque them 3 times, from their current home page. I did find a page that said torque all their bolts 5 times... I torqued them 3 times. To 45 ft.lbs.

The head on one must have been a little brittle, and a couple of the points broke off on the 3rd torque and now the socket just slips on it. I ordered one new bolt today to replace it. (they come in a 2-pack, but this place I ordered from said they would break a 16 pack open for me, since they don't stock the 2-packs...) I found all the pieces I think... If not, then there is a hardened point somewhere down in the vicinity of the camshaft...