Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 z28 no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 z28 no start

My friend has a 99 LS1 z28. Today we pulled it into the garage changed the oil and filter. Dropped it back down and went to start it. All the gages worked fine. Radio works, headlights everything. As soon as we turn the key, the key makes a click noise and everything turns off until we let off the key. Then all radio, lights, etc work again. Does not crank at all. When first turn the key on you can hear few clicks in engine bay, im guessing relays. But as soon as we turn the key to start everything shuts off until we let off. Battery was charged and load tested and passed. All connection to battery are good and not corroded. I tapped the starter a few times but that did nothing. I am thinking one of the cables at the key ignition may have came loose and when we turn the key that wire is not connected causing it to not even has a crank. I had this problem on my 94 and just got a new key solenoid and key. Wired it up and it worked. Does this sound like the same problem to you guys or maybe something else.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be the starter, Once the signal is sent, the relay engergizes, which closes the solenoid and allows full voltage to the starter, if its bad it can pull a large load on the system, causing everything to fade until you stop the amp draw. Personally I would take a meter, or a test light and check the starter,, there will be two wires going to it,, the large wire is hot all the time, the small wire is the signal wire, it should only light up when the key is turned to the start position, Check the large supply wire, it should be hot,, then check the signal wire if it lights up when the key is turned the problem is the starter,, if you do not have a signal at the starter, check the relay,,, Hope this helps

Quick Reply: 99 z28 no start