Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy Ls1...need a lil info

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy Ls1...need a lil info

hey guys i have just put in a credit app for a 2001 SS. I am young(18) and so is my sister (21) but i hope to god that i get this car. At any rate it won't stay stock for long(as soon as i get money to modify i will do so.)

From what i see and have read i think that i am going to want to do the following. Exaust of course(LT's, Y pipe, and SLP loudmouth) THe other little bolt'ons like a lid etc.

But it won't take long for me to want more. I am thinking a 125 dry shot as well as a cam and head swap.

I don't have nor will i want to spend 2500 on heads unless i end up selling the stang. SO i am curious what heads would be the best for my combo. I have some home porting experience and i would clean up whatever heads i get. Maybe the Lq9 heads or something if this is a wise decision. the cam i want to be streetable, but not a waste of time either i am thinking like a 230/230 112lsa or somewhere around there.

So i guess i am looking for what heads would be the best for me withough going all out and will still handle work well with the nitrous combo. What fuel system will be necessary to pull this off, and will my stock short block handle what i want.

Thanks
Louie Panayi

The car will be a 6 speed BTW
Old 05-16-2004, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

try some APE or TEA stage 1's. I'm not sure if I would port them any more than what they are sold to you as though. Also with LT's that loudmouth is gonna be real LOUD. Trust me I know lol.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

patriot 5.3 stage 2 1,300$ and tsp231...i think $1,800 total
Old 05-16-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Loud is good.

Btw i am not really willing ot spend the money to get the heads form TEA or another business i would try to get a take off from a truck or another engine, and then go from there.

Is there any info that i could get on the LQ9 heads as far as how they compare to the LS1 or LS6 heads, flow numbers, etc.

Thanks
Louie Panayi
Old 05-16-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

The lq9 heads at least when ported generally flow better than the ls1 heads say by 20 cfm or so (generalization). The ls6 heads flow similar numbers to the lq9 heads because they are of the same port design.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i have done my research and from what it seems i may just take your advice, but with patriot instead their stage 2 5.3l heads flow decent. 296 intake and 220 exhaust(at least i think that this is decent for an ls1)

i believe that their lq9 and ls6 both flowed over 320 intake and 230 exhaust, but the compression is a bit less and they are a bit more expensive as well, so from what i see the 1300 dollar 5.3L heads fully assembled seems like one hell of a deal, considering the brand new heads and port job would be costing me a whopping 500-600 (probobly less depending on the cost for machining by me) more than me getting the heads used and then paying someone to machine the head and i would have to port and polish and it wouldn't be as good of a job as theirs.

So now i really need to know if this setup would be ok on the stock Shortblock.

and what fuel mods i would need.
most likely larger injectors and a new pump for sure.

thanks
Louie Panayi
Old 05-16-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

edit: Now i need to get the car first. i should know tomorrow if the credit between us is good enough. i am anxious.

Louie
Old 05-17-2004, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can make I believe around 450rwhp on stock 28lb injectors, when maxed out
some 30lb svo's would be a good cheap solution, since they are more like mid-30pounders with the LS1 fuel pressure