Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Powerbands...

Old 05-17-2004, 12:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Powerbands...

Howdy, I'm looking at doing a cam swap and I have a few questions...

I ran a search but couldn't quite find what I'm looking for.

I'd like a solid powerband from ~2K to ~6K. I don't want to pull this motor too high with the stock valvetrain, and I can't replace that for a few years. I really like lopey idles, so I figure a 112LSA? I want a good cam to make solid power but I need that power to be usable with the stock redline and all.

Based on ya'lls experience, what kind of grind should I go for?
Old 05-17-2004, 12:49 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/170903-short-duration-tight-lsa-cams.html
Old 05-17-2004, 01:05 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks, JRP... yeah, I read that one. I got lost in the converter comments (M6 here)

I checked out that VHP site, though. I'm kinda liking that VH-047. Is there anyone with experience with this cam? Any comments?
Old 05-17-2004, 08:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CamTom12
Howdy, I'm looking at doing a cam swap and I have a few questions...

I ran a search but couldn't quite find what I'm looking for.

I'd like a solid powerband from ~2K to ~6K. I don't want to pull this motor too high with the stock valvetrain, and I can't replace that for a few years. I really like lopey idles, so I figure a 112LSA? I want a good cam to make solid power but I need that power to be usable with the stock redline and all.

Based on ya'lls experience, what kind of grind should I go for?
based on my experience you cant run any cam larger than stock on the stock springs so there goes that "stock valvetrain" thing out the window...and few cams out there peak where the stock cam does so there goes the stock redline thing as well...there are cams that will make solid power from 2-6k but unfortunatly for you I guess they also make power after 6k.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
based on my experience you cant run any cam larger than stock on the stock springs so there goes that "stock valvetrain" thing out the window...and few cams out there peak where the stock cam does so there goes the stock redline thing as well...there are cams that will make solid power from 2-6k but unfortunatly for you I guess they also make power after 6k.
So what all would I need to change to move my redline from stock to ...say 6800 safely? This is my only vehicle so reliability is just as important as power.

BTW, thanks for the help so far, ya'll!
Old 05-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Cameron, I would consider the GM LS1 hot cam kit if I were you. It's not expensive, relatively easy on valvetrain and can be used with stock programming. It should give you a good 25-30 rwhp and rwtq increase. You can spin it safely to 6600 rpm.

218/227 .525/.525 112lsa

--

Eric D.
99 Firehawk M6

Last edited by Blue Hawk; 05-17-2004 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Saw that just after replying...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/172397-hot-cam-s.html

--

Eric D.
99 Firehawk M6
Old 05-17-2004, 10:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by CamTom12
So what all would I need to change to move my redline from stock to ...say 6800 safely? This is my only vehicle so reliability is just as important as power.

BTW, thanks for the help so far, ya'll!
generally after a cam swap youd need tuning, this would give you the ability to move the rev limiter up to wherever youd need it as well as shift points if you have an auto. To raise it safely to that you'd basically need a good set of springs, depending on which cam you choose ei ls6 cam=ls6 springs, tr224=918 or better any larger than that I'd recommend a dual spring.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Blue Hawk
Cameron, I would consider the GM LS1 hot cam kit if I were you. It's not expensive, relatively easy on valvetrain and can be used with stock programming. It should give you a good 25-30 rwhp and rwtq increase. You can spin it safely to 6600 rpm.

218/226 .525/.525 112lsa

--

Eric D.
99 Firehawk M6
im sure most would recommend tuning for this or most other cams to take full advantage...seeing youd want to raise your rev limiter & such anywayz...also i hear this cam has alot of lope, you still havent said if you have an auto or manual but either way im sure a slightly higher idle would be wanted in the long run to keep this cam running smoother in the car.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
im sure most would recommend tuning for this or most other cams to take full advantage...seeing youd want to raise your rev limiter & such anywayz...also i hear this cam has alot of lope, you still havent said if you have an auto or manual but either way im sure a slightly higher idle would be wanted in the long run to keep this cam running smoother in the car.
I'd rather not raise the redline if I don't have to... I'm looking for something with a nice lope (insert scary Muscle Car noise here) that has lots of low end power. I don't want it to run out of breath before the stock redline, though. I don't mind a spring swap to do this, I just hope I'm not asking for The Cam That Can't Be Ground...

I'm gonna search the dyno board for any hotcam graphs. I think I'll look for C1 graphs too, since that other guy is asking about it.

Thanks again for all the input!

Search this Thread