Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screeching noise on new engine start up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Screeching noise on new engine start up?

I got my new engine back from the builder a few days ago. I've got everything put back together. My builder told me to turn it over without the plugs in it to build up oil pressure before firing it up. I turned it over and got a screeching noise. I maybe turned it over for about 10 seconds before the battery died. I noticed the water pump belt was a little off so I fixed that. I had to leave my garage before my wife killed me for being gone so long, so I really couldn't diagnose it much further. When I go back tomorrow I'll bring some jumper cables. I also remembered my power steering pump is was totally out of fluid, so I'll fill that. Do you think the power steering pump or the belt being not fully seated could of caused this noise? My engine builder is a very respected guy. In fact he does some LS1 work for Thunder Racing that they send up here to Minnesota.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fire it up and then be worried if somethings off. It should fire right up if everything is good. Nothing like the first start of a new engine. Let it run for 20 minutes then swap out the oil and filter.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

That pulley between the alternator and water pump wasn't totally seated. I had to loosen it to get to that one water pump bolt that is blocked by the pulley. I got her unning and she runs like a raped ape.