Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought tsp 228R, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought tsp 228R, have questions

Hi fellas, so I just got myself a TSP 228r cam 114 lsa for my 2000 z28. I am wondering will my car run before a tune, or should I get a mail order for first start up. By run I mean idle/drive. All I'm changing is cam ,springs, pushrods, oil pump,timing chain and adding a 3200 stall.

Thanks in advance !
Old 05-23-2014, 08:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

it will start and drive, but not properly. you should get a tune.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by big hammer
it will start and drive, but not properly. you should get a tune.
thanks,It will be getting dynoed , but my major concern is if i was able to drive it to the Dyno.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes you will. Put the car through a couple heat cycles and very gentle test drives to let the pcm learn the parameters and you'll be fine. I drove my f13 for a week untuned, yes it sucked and died a few times but it'll be fine
Old 05-23-2014, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redbird555
yes you will. Put the car through a couple heat cycles and very gentle test drives to let the pcm learn the parameters and you'll be fine. I drove my f13 for a week untuned, yes it sucked and died a few times but it'll be fine

Cool thanks for the input.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Transambrandon
thanks,It will be getting dynoed , but my major concern is if i was able to drive it to the Dyno.
I'm hoping you mean dyno tuned. You will be able to drive it to get tuned, but I wouldn't run it strictly on a dyno before that, obviously. Good luck with your swap!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94formulabird
I'm hoping you mean dyno tuned. You will be able to drive it to get tuned, but I wouldn't run it strictly on a dyno before that, obviously. Good luck with your swap!
Yea sorry I meant Dyno tuned lol and thanks! I'm gathering parts still, got the cam and converter so far. I'm trying to find deals on everything to keep this build a "budget build".
Old 05-23-2014, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Speaking of cams. It just showed up
Attached Thumbnails Just bought tsp 228R, have questions-image-346079165.jpg  
Old 05-23-2014, 10:13 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me know how you like it and what kind of #'s it puts down.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sales4@Texas-Speed
Let me know how you like it and what kind of #'s it puts down.
Will do.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

to give you an example, I did that same cam and all the parts you mentioned in my 99 camaro. I didnt change heads or intake, just cam..

I drove it around for 2 weeks before I got my tune. It honestly ran great and hardly had any driveability issues, I didnt even throw a CEL light. Just make sure youd dont get on it at all. Just to be safe
Old 05-23-2014, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jarren_b
to give you an example, I did that same cam and all the parts you mentioned in my 99 camaro. I didnt change heads or intake, just cam.. I drove it around for 2 weeks before I got my tune. It honestly ran great and hardly had any driveability issues, I didnt even throw a CEL light. Just make sure youd dont get on it at all. Just to be safe

Awesome. Thanks for the info, can't wait to get this install underway.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Spring removal question : what is the best valve spring compressor? I heard there's issues with reaching the passenger side springs in the back.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Spring removal question : what is the best valve spring compressor? I heard there's issues with reaching the passenger side springs in the back.
Its definitely not easy.

I have this tool and it worked great. If you have air, use the gun to get the tool onto the springs it will save you tons of time.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80502...eHyvY-izvw_wcB

In my camaro it took like 4 hours to do the springs because I did everything by hand and since its harder to get to some of them.

I used air on my corvette and it only took 1 1/2 hours.

I also think its easier and faster to do top dead center on each cylinder to hold the valves up. just keep your wrench on the crank bolt and with each cylinder turn it to top dead center. to find TDC just stick something small in the spark plug hole (like a pen) and turn the motor over til you feel it push up on whatever you have in there. eventually you will feel the piston start to move back downward so at that point reverse it just a little and your set. dont even try to compress the cylinder with air cause its a major Pain to get the compressor tool in..
Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jarren_b
Its definitely not easy. I have this tool and it worked great. If you have air, use the gun to get the tool onto the springs it will save you tons of time. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80502...eHyvY-izvw_wcB In my camaro it took like 4 hours to do the springs because I did everything by hand and since its harder to get to some of them. I used air on my corvette and it only took 1 1/2 hours. I also think its easier and faster to do top dead center on each cylinder to hold the valves up. just keep your wrench on the crank bolt and with each cylinder turn it to top dead center. to find TDC just stick something small in the spark plug hole (like a pen) and turn the motor over til you feel it push up on whatever you have in there. eventually you will feel the piston start to move back downward so at that point reverse it just a little and your set. dont even try to compress the cylinder with air cause its a major Pain to get the compressor tool in..
Thanks! That's the spring tool I was looking at.

Ok, I've read multiple places the TDC method works best, plus it will save me money, not buying the cylinder air compressor tool.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks! That's the spring tool I was looking at.

Ok, I've read multiple places the TDC method works best, plus it will save me money, not buying the cylinder air compressor tool.
Yeah its foolproof and definitely the fastest
Old 05-27-2014, 03:32 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Rope in the spark plug hole is foolproof with the TDC method. Just me.

What springs are you running OP?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Rope in the spark plug hole is foolproof with the TDC method. Just me. What springs are you running OP?
PRC 1518 beehive spring kit from TSP.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Unrelated, but I bought a 228R from Texas Speed and it came in a Comp Cams box and labeled as Comp Cams.

I'm a noob but the poster above has it in the Texas Speed box. Texas Speed grind subbed out to Comp Cams or vice versa?
Old 06-17-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ya there are actually only a few "cam grinders" in the country, comp, cam motion, bullet, lunati and crane. the vendors all just tll the grinder what to cut and have it made. some people like EPS, Ed curtis Alan Futral etc have designed their own custom lobes that can only be gotten by going through them but they are still ground by the above. other vendors just pick "catalog" lobes out from the companies and grind them based on those

Quick Reply: Just bought tsp 228R, have questions