Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

half of dipstick fell in oil pan, tranny is off, plan of attack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default half of dipstick fell in oil pan, tranny is off, plan of attack?

Hey guys, in the middle of slave change and mm/ long tube install. What is involved with taking the oil pan out? My car is level on stands right now. I bought magnetic wands to help me fish out the stick. I was going to drain the oil and try and fish out the pieces with magnets.

To take the oil pan out, how would you support the engine, u would have to raise the engine, ya? Any help would be appreciated
Old 06-19-2014, 03:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id get the car supported by the frame rails in front and back. Id put a 2x4 or some wood on a jack and support the engine under the balancer. Remove the motor mounts and let down the k member until the pan clears enough to remove it. Dont remove the trans as that would be the way of supporting the rear of the engine. If the trans is already out then get a cherry picker to raise the engine and lower the k member that way.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:09 PM
Launching!

The bell housing is still on the car, i can support the belhousing to keep the rear of the engine up, ya?
Old 06-20-2014, 11:31 PM
Launching!

What would be the easiest route? Use a cherry picker and pick the engine up to take the pan out or would dropping the k member the easier way to go? If i can jack the engine up, how high would i have to go to take the oil pan out?
Old 06-21-2014, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would just take the pan loose and let it hang as if you was doing a cam / oil pump swap. Get a long magnet and see if you can fish it out while its hanging threw the front of the oil pan. If the trans is out you might be able to get it out threw the back.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you tried putting a small magnet down the dipstick tube? If a full half of the dipstick broke off, it is likely still in the tube.

Also, the tube itself can be removed fairly easily. I would try that if the above fails.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree. Dipstick tube comes off quick (and makes long tube installation easier) so I would put a magnet against the tube to try and keep the dipstick from sliding out and then remove the tube with the magnet attached. Hopefully the dipstick won't slide due to the magnet.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:39 AM
Launching!

I forgot to mention how big of a jackass i was. When i broke the stick anf took it out, i heard plop and splash like part fell in the oil. Then i tried to hook out anything left over in the tube journal and small part fell in. Sounded like a metal washer fell on a flat part of the pan. This happened in the same day. Basically i have to get the pan out for piece of mind. Thanks for all the advice, what a pita

Quick Reply: half of dipstick fell in oil pan, tranny is off, plan of attack?