Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help.. 01 SS build, cam advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help.. 01 SS build, cam advise

I want to start off by thanking this forum for all its help. I've used it on both Corvette and my Z28 before with issues. That being said this time around I have my hands full. I sold my 2002 Zo6 in 2013 trying to get everything in order to buy a house. Well that summer was the first time I ever went without a sports car, so I decided that would never happen again. So I was looking for a while and decided I didn’t want to have a payment or any outlandish ride just a weekend toy so I ended up buying a 2001 Artic white SLP SS from a friend.

I don’t want to make this a long hard read because generally people want to get to the point and that is what I will do. Back ground information on the car as told to me from the previous owner.
2001 Artic White SLP SS w/ CME exhaust, M6, 98k dyno’d 385wrhp on a mustang dyno
Engine mods:
MS3 cam package 2006
Mid length headers w/ cats
Pro 5.0 shifter
Texas-Speed exhaust to custom CME
Suspension mods:
bilsteinHD shocks all around with lowering performance springs.
LCA brackets for zero wheel hop.
Had the rearend rebuilt 4.10s was done about 1000 miles ago.
Exterior:
35th anniversary wheels w/ junk tires

Since I bought the car we haven’t been getting along to good. The clutch took a dump on me 3 days after I got it, and the rear has a terrible whine. For the most part it was a solid ride and gave me the desire I was looking for, even if it was a Corvette or as fast as my Z. The car had a few issues but overall everything was ok until 2 weeks ago when I took it to an exhaust shop to get the horrible mid length headers welded to stop the exhaust leak. The shop fixed the exhaust leak but gave me the car back with a terrible tap coming from the engine bay. So this is where my build begins.

I do apologize for the long post but wanted to give you the back ground information before I start to explain my problems and get underway with this build. I purchased the following new parts
TSP LS6 stage 2.5 heads w/ gaskets and bolts
LS7 lifters
Pacesetter LT’s w/ y pipe
MSD plug wires w/ NGK plugs
New TSP double spring kit/ new titanium pushrods 7.400

Now to the finally problem I going to pull the MS3 out of the car but I’m struggling trying to figure out what cam to go back into it. Here are a few I’m considering: MS4, Pulluter V2 or V1. I want a big cam I’ve always like them I ran a TSP tsunami in my 02Z which made 420 wrhp and pulled strong. Also I really concerned with this noise coming from the engine its extremely loud. It sounds like it could be lifter, spring or something in the top end has failed I’m just afraid the engines block may be trash. Thank you again for reading my post and help will be greatly appreciated
Old 06-26-2014, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

here are some picture of the car

Old 06-29-2014, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

bump?
Old 06-29-2014, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Why switch from the MS3 to another cam that's not much different? I'm just curious
Old 06-29-2014, 12:29 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If your oil pressure looked good, I wouldn't be too concerned about the tap. It could very well be the lifters.

2006 for all the mods? That's the springs too? If so, good idea getting everything out of there. Even the cam.

And speaking of, TSP can help you pick a new one, or Martin at tick can. He doesn't charge you for a spec'd cam (I think), but it's nice to know you have one for YOUR mods and YOUR desires.

I have a feeling you may be sending the pushrods back and exchanging them though... And lastly, curious as to why you went with Pacesetter over the TSP stainless headers and Y?
Old 06-29-2014, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

yes the car has had all these mods since 2006 including the springs. as far as the cam goes I wanted to be safe rather and sorry since I was already replacing everything on the top end and with the noise in the top end I figured a new cam wouldnt hurt.

I've talked to TSP and waiting to hear back from Tick but TSP tells me that the MS3 and MS4 are very similar in size and that the PV clearance on the LS6 2.5's should be ok.

The main reason I went with the pacesetters over TSP was the price I got an amazing deal on them and have ran them before on previous cars.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Are the heads milled any, or will they be milled any?

I would prefer you measured the P to V instead of just chucking it in there with the intake valve opening event the V.1, V.2 and MS4 have. It could get pretty tight.

I've confirmed with TSP several times the valve drop of the Stage 2.5 LS6 head and on paper it should clear with .055-.060" intake valve clearance and .090-.100" exhaust clearance.

What I would recommend on top of the camshaft recommendations is to modify the y-pipe to accept a Flow Master 3" inlet 4" outlet Y merge and then reduce the 4" back down to 3" so it will mate up with your cat-back exhaust.

This is no more than a 65 dollar modification in parts, and probably 30-50 dollars in labor at the same muffler shop that fixed your exhaust leak. On average we see a 8-15rwtq gain across the board with the same gain in HP as well. Probably the best 100 dollars you can spend on your car if it has a y pipe.

Another great option that we have in our shelf camshaft line up is the SNS Stage 3 TorqueMAX camshaft. It is another proven performer that we offer.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

I want to thank Martin at Tick performance and Derek at TSP you guys have been amazing in answering my million and one questions.. I talk to the shop yesterday seems the problem had been a rocker coming apart inside the head but I will know more once the engines out and its fully examined.

Also I ended up ordering a Tick performance elite polluter V2 cam to go with the parts I bought from TSP so hoping the car becomes a strong runner here soon
Old 07-07-2014, 01:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I know it's a late response, but thank you for the kind words and your business. It is much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Need Help.. 01 SS build, cam advise