Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spraying a reringed 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spraying a reringed 5.3

I finally picked up a 5.3 monday and stripped it down last night. The guy i got it from said it had 180k on it and he only pulled it because the lifters were really loud. And it was only one but it did wipe the cam lobe... I pulled the pistons and was really impressed. Normal carbon build up but a really clean motor. Now when finances are there i want to slap some new rings and bearings in there and have the 862 heads rebuilt with some slightly bigger valves and milled as needed. How will this set up hold with a 200 shot or more? I would go with a fairly mild cam (little bigger than an ls6). How do y'all think this would hold up? The motor will be going in a 84 c10.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bottlefedbaby
I finally picked up a 5.3 monday and stripped it down last night. The guy i got it from said it had 180k on it and he only pulled it because the lifters were really loud. And it was only one but it did wipe the cam lobe... I pulled the pistons and was really impressed. Normal carbon build up but a really clean motor. Now when finances are there i want to slap some new rings and bearings in there and have the 862 heads rebuilt with some slightly bigger valves and milled as needed. How will this set up hold with a 200 shot or more? I would go with a fairly mild cam (little bigger than an ls6). How do y'all think this would hold up? The motor will be going in a 84 c10.
What year 5.3 and you don't really need to rering the pistons when you can just gap them for nitrous. It should hold up well to nitrous long as you have a good tune in it to not detonate the crap out of it.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told 04 but i thought 04 went to full floating rods and 58x crank? Would it not be cheap insurance to rering it? Yeah they look good and plenty of people reuse them but i was taught otherwise (most cases). And it will run on e85... I would want a stand alone fuel system for the nitrous and run c16 or something similar with juice.

Quick Reply: Spraying a reringed 5.3