Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need info on head studs

Old 05-21-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need info on head studs

What exactly is the purpose of head studs, and what setups are they recommended for? I have a darton 427 coming together, and I plan to spray it. 200 shot progressive. Maybe a little more at times. Wondering if studs will help safeguard the motor. I've been told by a sponsor that it will help me, but I'm confused as to exactly how. I assume they help keep the heads from lifting, but how do they do that (if they do that), and can nitrous be a cause of lifting the heads?
Old 05-21-2004, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are more for keeping the threads in the block from getting screwed up
if you retorque your heads to your block with bolts a bunch of times, you'll probably damage the threaded holes eventually
Old 05-21-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Okay, so they replace the head bolts? You torque a nut down instead of a bolt? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I have never seen a head stud.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

It can also help with keeping your heads on the car when you spray it.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

They have a higher tensile strength. They will strech less than stockers. A stud will give you a more accurate torque reading. They are reusable. I would get higher strength studs if you plan on 200+ shot for a little extra insurance. APE sells the upgraded studs. Regular arp's will also be ok if you don't want to spend the extra cash.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bravo, JPR didnt use studs on my motor and now between that and the wrong gaskets and I stuck footing a 2k repair bill on my BRAND NEW MOTOR. Ask me if I was supposed to have the ARP studs originally!!! Man I am pissed at Joe. Fugging lying douchebag *****.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bear
Bravo, JPR didnt use studs on my motor and now between that and the wrong gaskets and I stuck footing a 2k repair bill on my BRAND NEW MOTOR. Ask me if I was supposed to have the ARP studs originally!!! Man I am pissed at Joe. Fugging lying douchebag *****.

Man, that sucks. Try to look on the bright side, at least you have something under your hood lol. I don't know if I am supposed to have studs or not, never thought to ask. Guess we'll see what I end up with. I got my block and pistons monday, the rest of the parts were supposed to be about a week behind. But you know how that goes. I don't think I'll have it all together and running before I get deployed again. Hopefully next year.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where are you gonna assemble this motor at?Craft shop? If so give me a holler I would like to witness this.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by strokedls1
They have a higher tensile strength. They will strech less than stockers. A stud will give you a more accurate torque reading. They are reusable. I would get higher strength studs if you plan on 200+ shot for a little extra insurance. APE sells the upgraded studs. Regular arp's will also be ok if you don't want to spend the extra cash.

The ultimate tensile strength of a stud is no higher than a bolt. That is a function of material and size.

One way studs are superior to bolts in that they are loaded under tension (pulling) only. A bolt is loaded in both tension and torsion (pulling and twisting). You Torque the nut onto the stud.Studs must be installed HAND TIGHT. I will use a high strength thread locker then install studs by hand.

Stretching less than a stock bolt really means nothing. A fastener must be stretched to a pre determined length in order to be loaded properly. You stretch the bolt when it is torqued down. The torque figure for a fastener (or TQ angle,etc.) is there to make sure you get that fastener as close to it's proper tension as possible.

A fastener will not function anywhere near it's ultimate capability unless it is tensioned properly!

Fictional Example: ARP states you should torque their super unobtainium 9/16 head bolt with ARP assembly lube to 100 ft lbs in three steps. They want you to torque it to that spec so you can achieve around .007 stretch.

This is not exact! That is why ARP recommends you use a stretch gauge to load rod bolts. Rod bolts are generally considered to be the highest stressed fastener in a piston engine.

That is why it so important to use the proper lube,make sure threads and fasteners are clean,etc.

Any bolt or stud that is not TTY is reusable unless damaged.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PonyKiln
Where are you gonna assemble this motor at?Craft shop? If so give me a holler I would like to witness this.
I am leaning toward having More Performance build the shortblock, just so I know it's done right. Maybe even the whole motor and get it on their engine dyno. The rest of the work/install will be done at the Pope autoshop by me. I'm gonna get it on a lift and put it in from the bottom. When that will happen, who knows lol.

Search this Thread