Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly happens when you spin a bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What exactly happens when you spin a bearing?

Just like the title states, what exactly happens you find the shavings in your filter? What causes it to happen? I realize this is a noob question, but gotta start somewhere lol
Old 09-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The crankshaft and bearing no longer have a protective wedge of oil between them. The bearing starts to gaul or stick to the crank. After it continues it eventually spins with the crank.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:46 PM
Teching In

And then you have just severely damaged the blocks main journal or ruined the rod. The bearings are held in place by an interference fit.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So basically that's where a ported and shimmed oil pump comes in? So higher oil pressure is a good thing, but say with a the high volume high pressure melling pump that could theoretically suck the pan dry, would cause a spun bearing? Or am I missing something?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whatsa347
So basically that's where a ported and shimmed oil pump comes in? So higher oil pressure is a good thing, but say with a the high volume high pressure melling pump that could theoretically suck the pan dry, would cause a spun bearing? Or am I missing something?
It is extremely rare to suck an oil pan dry. That is snake oil. High oil pressure is good to an extent.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brando5641
It is extremely rare to suck an oil pan dry. That is snake oil. High oil pressure is good to an extent.
So with adequate pressure (nothing super high, I know) you should theoretically never spin a bearing? I see cars with 60k miles spin bearing and heads cam cars with 120k miles still driving just fine and get beat on daily, just wondering what the cause was is all.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Contaminated oil not changed frequently enough will cause bearings to wear. I'm sure there is no one reason. The ls engine is actually very stout and if maintained it will last a long time.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

So with adequate pressure (nothing super high, I know) you should theoretically never spin a bearing? I see cars with 60k miles spin bearing and heads cam cars with 120k miles still driving just fine and get beat on daily, just wondering what the cause was is all.
Many things can lead to a spun bearing, Poor oil control would be at the top of the list but other factors can come into play like detonation or turning to many rpms or anything that may throw the rotating assembly off balance.
Some cranks flex under power and you even have to consider harmonics.
Running a belt to tight can cause bearing failure. Anyone running a blower/supercharger has to balance possible belt slip versus wiping out main bearing if they run the belt to tight.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be related to initial build/setup assembly too...
Old 09-02-2014, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Many things can lead to a spun bearing, Poor oil control would be at the top of the list but other factors can come into play like detonation or turning to many rpms or anything that may throw the rotating assembly off balance.
Some cranks flex under power and you even have to consider harmonics.
Running a belt to tight can cause bearing failure. Anyone running a blower/supercharger has to balance possible belt slip versus wiping out main bearing if they run the belt to tight.
Is this where ARP rod bolts come in handy? To keep flexing to a minimum?
Old 09-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Is this where ARP rod bolts come in handy? To keep flexing to a minimum?
No. ARP rod bolts are to keep the connecting rod and piston combo from launching through the side of the block or your head. There's a tremendous amount of force at TDC as the piston changes direction and the rod is at full stretch. Stronger bolts keep everything together.

Spinning a rod bearing means your big end of the rod, where it connects to the crank, was out of round, improperly oiled, or simply pushed too hard and failed. Rod bolts could still be holding, but the crank and rod would be damaged. If the damage is catastrophic, the actual metal of the rod could fail.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:40 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

The oil pressure you see on the gauge doesn't really do much for the bearing or the oil film that protects it. The bearing ID is elliptical, so the ID actually gets larger near the parting lines than it is at 12 and 6 o'clock. This creates a reservoir at the parting lines that gets picked up by the spinning rod or main journal, squeezing it into the smaller ID at 12 and 6 to create what's called a "hydrodynamic wedge". The eccentricity, or rate at which the clearance decreases, has a large effect on this wedge that keeps the bearing and journal from meeting.

In the case of a rod bearing, you can cause the stock bolts to stretch and distort the ID of the rod. A bolt acts very much like spring, as you torque the bolt, you're preloading the bolt with a force that holds the rod together. When the force of the piston at TDC is greater than the force of the bolts holding the cap together, the bolts will stretch. When this happens, the parting lines typically pinch in, reducing that reservoir or even closing up all the clearance altogether. Higher strength bolts can be preloaded to a higher force and resist stretching.

As mentioned already, poor maintenance can lead to spun bearings, as well as manufacturing tolerances. Bearing clearances can be less than .001" in an OEM LS engine, which is pretty tight for a performance application by most standards. Clevite, for example, recommends .001" per 1" of journal diameter as a general rule of thumb. That would mean clearances should be closer to .002"-.0025" for an LS engine.

Good machining, adequate clearances, quality bearings, and frequent maintenance should keep a performance engine heathy for a long time.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Most Ls1 spun bearings are caused by low oil level. Keep the level up where it belongs and its a rare thing.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KCS
The oil pressure you see on the gauge doesn't really do much for the bearing or the oil film that protects it. The bearing ID is elliptical, so the ID actually gets larger near the parting lines than it is at 12 and 6 o'clock. This creates a reservoir at the parting lines that gets picked up by the spinning rod or main journal, squeezing it into the smaller ID at 12 and 6 to create what's called a "hydrodynamic wedge". The eccentricity, or rate at which the clearance decreases, has a large effect on this wedge that keeps the bearing and journal from meeting.

In the case of a rod bearing, you can cause the stock bolts to stretch and distort the ID of the rod. A bolt acts very much like spring, as you torque the bolt, you're preloading the bolt with a force that holds the rod together. When the force of the piston at TDC is greater than the force of the bolts holding the cap together, the bolts will stretch. When this happens, the parting lines typically pinch in, reducing that reservoir or even closing up all the clearance altogether. Higher strength bolts can be preloaded to a higher force and resist stretching.

As mentioned already, poor maintenance can lead to spun bearings, as well as manufacturing tolerances. Bearing clearances can be less than .001" in an OEM LS engine, which is pretty tight for a performance application by most standards. Clevite, for example, recommends .001" per 1" of journal diameter as a general rule of thumb. That would mean clearances should be closer to .002"-.0025" for an LS engine.

Good machining, adequate clearances, quality bearings, and frequent maintenance should keep a performance engine heathy for a long time.
Great post and I agree 100% accurate, good job KCS. Should be stickied somewhere.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also another thing that can occur to compromise the hydrodynamic oil wedge is oil aeration. Which is not hard to get into a situation where this can occur with the OE style 1:1 crank driven LS oil pumps. Or in a high G handling or drag car launch/quick 60' situation when the pickup becomes uncovered.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
The oil pressure you see on the gauge doesn't really do much for the bearing or the oil film that protects it. The bearing ID is elliptical, so the ID actually gets larger near the parting lines than it is at 12 and 6 o'clock. This creates a reservoir at the parting lines that gets picked up by the spinning rod or main journal, squeezing it into the smaller ID at 12 and 6 to create what's called a "hydrodynamic wedge". The eccentricity, or rate at which the clearance decreases, has a large effect on this wedge that keeps the bearing and journal from meeting. In the case of a rod bearing, you can cause the stock bolts to stretch and distort the ID of the rod. A bolt acts very much like spring, as you torque the bolt, you're preloading the bolt with a force that holds the rod together. When the force of the piston at TDC is greater than the force of the bolts holding the cap together, the bolts will stretch. When this happens, the parting lines typically pinch in, reducing that reservoir or even closing up all the clearance altogether. Higher strength bolts can be preloaded to a higher force and resist stretching. As mentioned already, poor maintenance can lead to spun bearings, as well as manufacturing tolerances. Bearing clearances can be less than .001" in an OEM LS engine, which is pretty tight for a performance application by most standards. Clevite, for example, recommends .001" per 1" of journal diameter as a general rule of thumb. That would mean clearances should be closer to .002"-.0025" for an LS engine. Good machining, adequate clearances, quality bearings, and frequent maintenance should keep a performance engine heathy for a long time.
I don't agree. The rod journal itself is distorting not the bolt stretching.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by treybadd
I don't agree. The rod journal itself is distorting not the bolt stretching.
Rod bolt stretch with these stock fasteners is definitely a reality, especially with higher RPM's.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Well, that may be. But bearings were not designed as they are because rod bolts stretch. The big end distorts. Do you run perfectly round bearings with ARP2000 bolts? No.

Last edited by treybadd; 09-02-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I think you are missing KCS's point Trey. If I understand him correctly, he is talking about at higher RPM. As the RPMs increase, it increases the force against the connecting rod cap trying to pull it apart when at or near top dead center. The connecting rod bolts job is to have enough pre-load or clamping force to be able to counter-act this force. If you were to exceed the connecting rod bolts tensile strength, it starts to stretch. As it stretches, the rod journal can distort from the additional force as well as loose its clamping force on the bearing. This is where excessive wear and/or bearing damage or failure could occur.

I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but rod bolts and most fasteners stretch when torqued. This is how they maintain tension. Any good engine builder will not only measures torque when tightening rod bolts, but they also measure how far each stretched when being torqued. This is a secondary safeguard to assure a fastener is performing according to design.

Last edited by speedtigger; 09-02-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Yeah...don't need educated on bolt stretch. I know all about it. That's how I torqued my rods... Found the torque that gave me desired stretch. The rod ID distorts is the reason bearings are made several thousandths bigger (thinner) at the parting line. On any engine. Revving the **** out of an engine with shock rod bolts is a totally different issue. Yes that would also affect the shape of the rod ID. You will distort the housing ID on a normal engine running at high rpm. The bolt is not necessarily stretching.

Last edited by treybadd; 09-02-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Quick Reply: What exactly happens when you spin a bearing?