Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam and valve spring install completed :)- now o pump and t chain- almost finished!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam and valve spring install completed :)- now o pump and t chain- almost finished!

Teardown occurred one and off for three days when I had time.
Dang last passenger side valve cover bolt took 20mins to take off. That thing is in the worst spot.

231 cam install was simple- 1/2 hour

Valve spring, seal, seat, retainer install on driver side was easy. The a passenger side was a pain- very slow. I wasted time trying to get the air hold in the last plug hole. Ended up using the TDC method on that piston.Took four hours working on my own. It is strange. I had an assistant helping with the cam install and it seems like he was more of a distraction then he was helpful. He used too mush force when removing bolts and almost broke one or two, so I gave him a six pack and told him to hit the road.

O pump and T chain are next. I took the gears out of the pump and will bolt up the pick up tube first. Seems like the best bet.I figure 1hour max all of this.

I am debating whether to use black yamabond gasket maker, copper spray on, or locite red on the oil pump to block seal. Suggestions?

I have some wires looms that have melted due to header heat. I figure that I will reroute those wires while I have everything taken apart.

Reflections-

1-Have the right tools.
2-Buy the Larry spring tool- he deserves an award for thinking that thing up
3-Lose weight and make your arms grow It helps to be thin and have long arms when working in the ls1 engine bay
4-Take short breaks when you get frustrated.
5-Research ls1tech and print out directions for the install. Tips save lots o time and effort.
6-Make sure that you inspect all work before moving on. I found an old keeper hidden near a rod hole. If I had left it there
7- Pour holy water on the engine and pray that the car starts and there are no problems at start up.
8-Looking back, I wish that I had done this work at the time when I installed the headers. All the extra room minus headers would have helped.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used the orange color GM Permatex (from a dealer) for my oil pump to block seal. I am using a double roller so I heard that the shims needed a dab of gasket maker.

For the second cam swap, I decided not to mess with the Permatex and I have noticed no difference in oil pressure. It is a pain to use anyway with oily hands.

Even though it takes longer, I like to do my own work by myself. That way I know exactly what is going on with my car. Hmmm...now I want a bigger cam.....