Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About halfway through my header/cam/pulley install...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About halfway through my header/cam/pulley install...

How in the heck do you guys do this at home without removing your engine. I have small hands and thin arms and can reach places where most people can't...which is exactly where you need to go to get to those back bolts on the manifolds, and valve covers. How do you guys do it? It is going to be really cool and all...but I will never do this again on an LS1. Holy crap. Could they have jammed the engine any further up under the cowl? I think the stereo plugs directly into the back of the engine block.

Well I definitely won't be reusing the stock exhaust manifolds...the bolts broke off them. I thought stainless didn't rust like that.

Did I do something wrong...or is it really this insanely difficult to do an in-car cam swap? The only difference between my arms and hamburger is that hamburger costs a couple dollars a pound. Sheez. Don't get me wrong...the steps are pretty much like everybody says...without mention of the acrobatics that you need to do to get to some of the bolts.

Can these bolts in the back really be torqued? Or is that something that must be fudged?

Anyways, thanks for listening to me ramble...and kudos to all of you that have done this before.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:18 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it gets easier the more you do them. my last cam/pump/spring swap i did with a broken arm. first time round was a bitch though. wait till you do a head swap

which bolts in the back are you refering too, if its the back header bolts all you need is hand tight and then a 1/4 turn over. actual tq specs are like 18ft-lbs so its not alot. dont forget the heads are aluminum and you dont want to over tq the bolts and strip the threads.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patients, actually the LS1 is a pretty easy motor to work on once you get your way around it. I think the back ones your going to want to get at from underneath.

Its amazing how easy it is once you've done it a few times. I can have an intake off in probably 15 minutes. The vavle covers? Well after thinking I had a pre load probably and taking them on and off 30 times I can do that rather quickly

The heads bolt holes strip easily trust me from experience. I am a big guy and there is room all around the only place that got rough was the rear bolts on the passenger side coil packs I did not put them back.

Everything (external stuff) is 18 to 20 ft lbs which isn't much...
Old 05-24-2004, 01:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Also use a swivel head 1/4 inch drive for everything. Its all 8,10,13, or 15mm..

Your lucky you never had an LT1....
Old 05-24-2004, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
Amen sister. An LS1 is cake to work on compared to an LT1.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Umm is there a reason you called me "sister"
Old 05-24-2004, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
Also use a swivel head 1/4 inch drive for everything. Its all 8,10,13, or 15mm..

You got that right
Old 05-24-2004, 06:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can check my sig for my header install notes but a 10mm gear wrench was my best friend.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

The LS1 is a dream to work on ... once you do it a few times, you know exactly where to stand, and at what angle to articulate your appendages
Old 05-24-2004, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

It is a pain the first time around. I just did mine and still want to kill an engineer just for a stress relief but it did get easier at the end as I understood more and more. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
It is a pain the first time around. I just did mine and still want to kill an engineer just for a stress relief but it did get easier at the end as I understood more and more. Good luck!
Aaah yes....cursing GMs engineers....the memories bring a tear to my eye. I still don't see how some of you guys do these swaps...

I was darn near standing upside down with my arms twisted in ways that would make a contortionist cringe. I think it gets easier because the second time you just accept that fact that your arms are going to get ripped up, so you might as well just stick your arms in because the parts are paid for. I know that is why the sparkplugs came out more quickly this time around.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Just finished my cam install last night. After i did the ls6 intake install i cut the points off all the plastic daggers under the cowl, i looked like i got into a fight with a cat before that. I have a few cuts and sore muscles but it was much eaiser this time.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i can do a plug & wire change in under an hour now even with the egr & air on my car...once you get headers well at least mine make it soo much easier...and i just get the #8 from under the car...i also cut off the pointed screws that ripped up my arms the first time around...you learn how to get around this stuff to make things easier.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by dudas35
Just finished my cam install last night. After i did the ls6 intake install i cut the points off all the plastic daggers under the cowl, i looked like i got into a fight with a cat before that. I have a few cuts and sore muscles but it was much eaiser this time.
i forgot about those bastards...i just wore gloves & didnt remove them.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Ha ha. Plastic daggers. Don't forget about the metal ones either. I need to take some pics of the carnage in my garage.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

To make life a little easier, you can take off the weatherstripping at the bottom of the windshield where all the little plastic push pins are. Those mothers can cause some serious carnage on your hands and forearms when you're not paying attention. A 10mm gear wrench will help out a lot in those hard to reach places, like unbolting the last coil pack bolt on the passenger's side. It does get a lot easier as you practice more. Hell, the last time I took my valve covers off to install my rockers, I didn't get a scratch on me until the very end of the install when I was tightening down one of the last bolts on the coil packs.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

I recently looked at a car with the Air Conditioning, A.I.R and E.G.R removed and all I could say is, WOW! You can actually see the #8 plug and grab it with two hands if you wanted to. I'm planning on pulling on running nitrous, and as much as I will have to change/check plugs, I'm temped to rip it all out. I feel everyone's pain, after a 6 hour header install, my hands and my friend's hands looked like we were punching through glass windows all day.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrp
it gets easier the more you do them. my last cam/pump/spring swap i did with a broken arm. first time round was a bitch though. wait till you do a head swap
Funny you mention that... I was real close to posting a question about this on the site.

I've got a broken arm (cast from hand to armpit), and I'm holding off on my cam swap/purchase a bit, thinking the work couldn't be done.

I'm just worried about getting the crank bolt off, and retightened. I think the GM "starter-replacing-tool" would definitely help me. (A4)
Old 05-24-2004, 02:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by marc_w
Funny you mention that... I was real close to posting a question about this on the site.

I've got a broken arm (cast from hand to armpit), and I'm holding off on my cam swap/purchase a bit, thinking the work couldn't be done.

I'm just worried about getting the crank bolt off, and retightened. I think the GM "starter-replacing-tool" would definitely help me. (A4)
in my sig go to the patriot heads link...i believe on that or the second pg ive got a pic of the tool i use.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Whoever said working on an LS1 is a dream has never worked on 1970 camaro. I had an LS7 in that car and had room to spare. The "Einstein" who decided to cram half my motor in a "Cave" needs to be beatin.
My input, Sorry...