Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie- Advice on overrrrrevved motor?

Old 05-24-2004, 04:22 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie- Advice on overrrrrevved motor?

Hey All,

This is my first post. I'm in St. Louis. Rambo Benson from CamaroZ28.com

Sorry, this is a bit long...Missed a downshift on my SS and zinged it to 7500 . Yup bent rods or valves...tick tick tick. Limped home. (Didn't seem to lose much power though)

Instead of having dealer tear the heads apart, is this a good opportunity to have new heads installed? Money is tight but it's going to be 1500 or even more at dealer anyway so I need to rationalize this. May as well get a little more power!

I thought "slapping on heads" might take less time than rebuilding. Might save some money on labor at least?

Anyone in St. Louis know a reputable shop (near Chesterfield?) that would fast and economical? I need the car, it's my daily driver.

Would just new heads make some more power or must I do both heads and cam (More cost-reprogram computer!!!?). Again, money is tight, if "just heads" I would be very happy to pick up maybe 25-30 more ponies? and feel that with my 4:10's.

Could do cam in the future - or is the advantage so strong that it's just silly not to do it all right now?

I guess my total budget all parts, shipping, and labor is 2000 - 2500. I was looking at MTI Stage 2E heads and IF, big IF, we drop in a cam- X1 or Stealth 1?

Instead of computer tune, do you think can I get by with the extra advance provided by my GMAF?

Did I mention money is tight?
Thanks, Rambo
NICE SITE YOU HAVE HERE!
Old 05-24-2004, 05:09 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like its just pushrods. You'll notice bent valves in a hurry.

$2500 will be cutting it very close for H/C/labor
Old 05-24-2004, 05:12 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have you dont a compression check to see if in fact you did bend any vavles? i have no doubt the pushrods bent and those are easily replaceable.

one option you can do is a stg 1 head cam package from tsp or FFHP or something. another route is to just pick up some cheap stock heads from ebay or the for sale section and some arp head bolts or studs to just get you back on the road. that way you can take your time in deciding what h/c you have as opposed to rushing into something. your still missing some key bolt ons to get the most out of a h/c package anway.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:38 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JRP, No compression check, I am overseas right now. I want to get it towed and fixed via phone and email communication and wifey's help. I will take your advice maybe just get by for now.

This is the second time Weber Chev. charged 1800 to replace bent rods and a valve or two before. Yeah that time it did not have much power and was chugging, you are probably right -just rods.

But ...Since then it sucks a lot of oil, about 3 quarts every oil change. ANOTHER reason to maybe get new heads?

Thanks both of you.

Anyone from around St. Louis? I need to tow it to a place that I can trust asap without dealer prices!

Search this Thread