Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rattling noise on warm/cold start up

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattling noise on warm/cold start up

Hello all, I have been noticing a rattling noise on start up for a second or two on both warm and cold start up, I've seen some people say its normal and that its just a collapsed lifter bleeding down , but I just want to be sure this is "normal" before I go and put lifters in for no reason, any thoughts on waht I should do?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Subscribing. My 6.0 just started doing this a couple of weeks ago.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

could also be rod knock
Old 09-23-2014, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Wouldn't a rod know happen on every start up though? It doesn't always happen it a just random
Old 09-23-2014, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

Not sure about other LS variants, but the truck engines are very well known to have lifter noise on start up and isn't anything to worry too much about. Usually goes away once the engine warms up. Without hearing your particular noise, it's hard to say if this is what you're hearing. There are a lot of videos on YouTube of the lifter noise. Check some out and see if you think yours is the same.

Not quite as pronounced as in this video, but my dads truck does it too.

I had a similar issue in a Jeep, except that over time, it progressed (maybe regressed) enough to cause the engine to run rough at idle. The solution that worked in my case, was to add the instructed amount of Sea Foam additive to my oil. After the first oil change the problem became intermittent and after the second or third oil change the problem completely resolved itself. Add it every oil change and keep an eye on the color of your oil. Change it if it becomes black, even if's sooner than your scheduled oil change. In addition to adding the Sea Foam, I made a point to occasionally shift into a gear that would allow the engine to operate above 3000rpm for a few minutes. Some internet source I read recommended it and for some reason I must have felt was a credible enough reason to give it a try.

Sea Foam is a detergent. It helps clean out any crap build up that can block the passageways in lifters (among other things) that may cause them to malfunction. Before this experience, I had ZERO confidence in any simple "pour it in" solution. Thought all that stuff was for suckers who didn't know anything about engines. It took a month or two, but it worked fantastically. Totally surprised me. I put it in with ever second or third oil change now that the problem went away, just to keep things clean in there. I'm sure the cheep oil I use for the Jeep doesn't have any fancy detergents.

Chevron Techron additive is another that I've read/heard good things about. However, I've never tried it myself.

YMMV

Good luck,
Seth

Last edited by SethU; 09-23-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Flexplate?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get a video of the rattling? any other issues (no matter how subtle)? could be anything from failing cats or my issue which turned out to be a piston coming apart.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Its hard to get a video because it doesn't happen all the time maybe 1 in 8 starts and that's a maybe. It only lasts maybe 2 seconds then it stops, I'll get the camera out tomorrow and pull the spark plugs and look in the cylinders see if I can see anything, the motor only has 75K on it, 9K with a cam, intake and headers. I just did a whole exhaust systems year ago, cast should last longer than that but I'll check. I took the valve cover off the pass. side today to check the rockers for looseness, but they all look perfect

Quick Reply: rattling noise on warm/cold start up