Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Main Cap installed backwards... what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I would replace it myself. Think about how much money you already have invested in it as it sits, Then add in the time to put the motor in and pull it back out and any repairs that may be needed if there is a problem.
The cost of a new bearing sounds pretty cheap to me.
New King bearings are ordered! Thanks for the advise!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Make sure that numbskull installed the oil galley plugs in the front and rear of the block.

A guy I know had a machine shop assemble a shortblock block for him and they forgot to install the rear plug.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Replace the bearing with new and cross your fingers.

If this were my engine, I'd pull ALL the bearings to have a look.
Pulled all the bearings saw two others that didn't look so great! Replaced those! Then figured I would check the ring gaps while I had it out! So you guessed it ... they weren't what Total Seal said to put them at! Top and second ring (Bore X .0065) so 4.03 x .0065 = .026. He had the top ring at .022 and second at .020. Or something like that! Looks like I will be filling some rings too! Fun Times!
Old 10-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I. would. be. pissed.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lawsuit?
Old 10-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spent21
I. would. be. pissed.
Pissed doesn't begin to describe what I am feeling! But we live and we learn and I will get this straight and will have rebuilt the whole engine myself!
Old 10-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Lawsuit?
I honestly don't even want to deal with him anymore in any capacity! Yeah I lost money but luckily I found the errors before I finished the motor! hopefully this will be it and I can push forward!
Old 10-17-2014, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kacuziken
Pulled all the bearings saw two others that didn't look so great! Replaced those! Then figured I would check the ring gaps while I had it out! So you guessed it ... they weren't what Total Seal said to put them at! Top and second ring (Bore X .0065) so 4.03 x .0065 = .026. He had the top ring at .022 and second at .020. Or something like that! Looks like I will be filling some rings too! Fun Times!
Sounds like he didn't file the rings and just slapped everything together. It also sounds like he reused bearings. You may want to inspect the cam bearings as best you can.

I honestly don't even want to deal with him anymore in any capacity! Yeah I lost money but luckily I found the errors before I finished the motor! hopefully this will be it and I can push forward!
Well, you wouldn't have been able to finish the motor anyways because the rear cover would have never installed with the cap on backwards, but yes, it is good that you caught it now instead of later and had to disassemble other ****.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe at least report that place to the better business bureau. I hate the fact that someone else could ha en the same thing happen.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Sounds like he didn't file the rings and just slapped everything together. It also sounds like he reused bearings. You may want to inspect the cam bearings as best you can
I provided all the parts for the build. I checked the bearings when I pulled them out they were the bearings I provided also! I did look at the cam bearings before installing the cam. Everything looked ok! Cam is alittle tight but it's within spec.

He certainly filed them some because they were cut in a V. "Not straight". But we will get that taken care of!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely sounds like he has no idea what he is doing. The second ring should have a wider gap than the top ring. FWIW I put my Dremel in a vice with a disk in it and pushed the sides of the rings in on it to make a parallel gap and it worked really well.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by svede1212
Definitely sounds like he has no idea what he is doing. The second ring should have a wider gap than the top ring. FWIW I put my Dremel in a vice with a disk in it and pushed the sides of the rings in on it to make a parallel gap and it worked really well.
Thanks Svede! I will definitely use your Dremel idea!
Old 10-19-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another option, albeit a more expensive one if you already own a dremel. Relatively inexpensive as far as ring grinders go though and worked great for me

http://www.powerhouseproducts.com/ph...ide-wheelhtml/

agreed on second ring needing to be gapped larger than the first. The inverse would trap gas under the top ring and cause sealing / flutter problems.

Make sure you deburr them after you get them cut to size!!!

Last edited by ckpitt55; 10-19-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I provided all the parts for the build. I checked the bearings when I pulled them out they were the bearings I provided also! I did look at the cam bearings before installing the cam. Everything looked ok! Cam is alittle tight but it's within spec.

He certainly filed them some because they were cut in a V. "Not straight". But we will get that taken care of!
At least he used the stuff you provided.

It wouldn't be the first time that someone provided parts to a builder, and the builder used whatever he had laying around and kept the new stuff for himself.

Quick Reply: Engine Main Cap installed backwards... what do I do?