Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun bearing?... Now what to do since motor is coming apart?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Spun bearing?... Now what to do since motor is coming apart?

Hey guys, I would like to get your opinions on the way forward. I was at the track and after a run noticed a bottom end knock. I assume its rod knock but not sure why it would have spun a bearing. motor has less than 60K miles on it. Anyway I will open it up and inspect.

The motor is as follows.

LS1 stock bottom end out of a 98 Trans Am
PRC stage 2.5, 5.3L heads
TSP 228R cam
32lbs injectors
LS6 Intake
NX 125 Single nozzle nitrous kit

At the very least I am going to pull the motor apart and put new H series rod and main bearings and I guess new rings as well. This is of course assuming there is no damage to any parts.

My question is if you were in my shoes is there anything you would do while the motor is apart without breaking the bank?

I would love a forged 383 stroker but funds are just are not there at the moment. Is there anything I would be stupid not to do at this time? I may go up to a 150 or 175 shot of nitrous but nothing to crazy. Forced induction is not a possibility for me down the road because this engine is in an RX7 and I have no room under the hood.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2014, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, it be silly to open up the motor and not forge it, especially if you're throwing nitrous at at it.

A basic forged rod piston set is under 1k. Yes it's more expensive now, but in the long run you will spend less. A 150 shot is going to eventually blow your current motor and you'll have to take it out again. That's going to get costly.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redtan
Yes, it be silly to open up the motor and not forge it, especially if you're throwing nitrous at at it.

A basic forged rod piston set is under 1k. Yes it's more expensive now, but in the long run you will spend less. A 150 shot is going to eventually blow your current motor and you'll have to take it out again. That's going to get costly.
Under $1k is doable for sure. I only go through maybe 2 bottles a year. I thought even a stock LS can take a 150 shot all day long.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

A stock internal HCI LS1 is at the very edge with a 175 shot IMO! You have no idea what needs replacing until you tear it down. In my case it was everything except the block and heads. ..the cam, crank and all else was wasted so I just swapped my heads over to a forged LQ9 and never looked back
Old 10-20-2014, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
A stock internal HCI LS1 is at the very edge with a 175 shot IMO! You have no idea what needs replacing until you tear it down. In my case it was everything except the block and heads. ..the cam, crank and all else was wasted so I just swapped my heads over to a forged LQ9 and never looked back
Good to know. You're right that I have no idea what "needs" to be replaced. I guess I am wishing for the best. If I can get bearings, rings, rods and pistons for around $1000 that wouldnt be bad at all.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If I can get bearings, rings, rods and pistons for around $1000 that wouldnt be bad at all.
Bearings are around $200, rings come with pistons and those are in the $5-700 range and forged rods are $300.

Quick Reply: Spun bearing?... Now what to do since motor is coming apart?