Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 LQ4 internals into what blocks? WAY too confusing, I need hepl!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 LQ4 internals into what blocks? WAY too confusing, I need hepl!!

I have been looking and debating between the 5.3, 5.7 and 6.0. They are all assininely priced into the fkn stratosphere (for what they are). Pisses me off you could find a 5.3 in a junk yard for $500 6 years ago and now they want $1800k for a 170k engine??? After looking, debating and trying to figure what the heck to go with, the cheapest and most obvious I have found is a 2006 LQ4 engine with 114k fully dressed for $1600 out of a Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD. This thing is complete from the harness, to computer and even comes with the TC for the tranny which I lost on mine, lol. Thats about fair to me but I really wanted the lesser gas guzzler, but, meh, screw it! Now comes the next question.

I want to get a new aluminum block from GM and start a new. I know some of you are gonna say just find one, but, I dont want to deal with machine work, stripped threads, hidden cracks etc. I want a fresh block to work with. That would put me at $2600 with no machine work. I would then sell the cast block for around $300 which in theory would put me at $2300. If the crank needs to be turned and or I need new pistons, where back at $2600, but, hey, its a NEW engine by then with "0" miles !!

This engine will need to be setup as if it were going into a camaro (in reality it will be a BMW), so, i will need to use low profile camaro accesories and camaro type oil pan.

Now, with that info in mind, lol, I have read until I am blue in the face. Here are a few of the issues I have run across. Some posts say you can just transfer LS1 accesories right on over with no problem. Some say the front crank snout is diff?? I am not worried about the back of the crank because it is already setup for a 4l80E which is what I am going with for a tranny. Parts should just transfer to new block with no phyicle/balance issues but I am trying to find the correct casting number for the Aluminum block. I was thinking of using a LS2 block, would that work? Also, I belive the LQ4 has the full floating rods, is that correct?

I am going back to write all this down, my head is swirling, lol, but I need someone to set me stright.

let me know if I have missed anything, thanks.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "little" stuff will eat up a lot. Rings, bearings, bolts, gaskets, etc. It will be a lot more than $2,600
Old 10-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by svede1212
The "little" stuff will eat up a lot. Rings, bearings, bolts, gaskets, etc. It will be a lot more than $2,600
I need to re-correct my statement. I mean start anew with a engine block only and transfer everything over. I mean, I either start off with a $2k 180k mile LS1 engine that needs to have the computer reflashed for the 4l80E and surely needs to be rebuilt if I am lucky (cyl wise) or a $1600 LQ4 all ready to go with 114k miles and just transfer it all over to the new block if and when I get it. At least it would be good to go for another 100k until I decide what to do.

Well, at least the way I see it.......... for now. Still looking at options. Seems no matter what you do, they get you coming or going.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Blindly assuming a new block has bores the right size for used pistons and such is a very halfassed way to go and going to get expensive fast unless you are willing to blindly gamble and happen to get luck.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TMS-440HP-5-7-Aluminum-block-LS1-LS6-performance-long-block-Thompson-Motorsports-/281302724183?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417ef2ee57&vxp=mtrbetteroff You would be better off going this route it will be cheaper in the end and have a warranty.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Blindly assuming a new block has bores the right size for used pistons and such is a very halfassed way to go and going to get expensive fast unless you are willing to blindly gamble and happen to get luck.
I am still a ways off from pulling the trigger on something but I am looking at about 4 different engine combinations. I need to get a spreadsheet and put it all on paper to see what adds up to what. I think in the end, no matter what, were talking maybe a $400 diff no matter what route I go.

According to the site, the GM blocks are bored at a precise dimension. Would they not be? Wouldn't that be somewhat false advertisement? I know in a not so perfect world there will be variances. I am sure it happens, but, I would think the manufacturer would know that the correct specs (no more no less) is extremely important on their product in this case? Honestly, I dont know the engine selling world so I dont know if they give a fk or not but were talking a GM block here and I thought they held tightly to their advertised tolerances??

Yes, I would be gambling on a 114k mile engine having all good parts to transfer, but again, GM parts per GM parts, I would be close and safe enough? Worst case, in case pointed out above, would be new pistons if the good pistons happen to be too big or small.

Though I am looking at a intake manifold, front brackets and oil pan ($600 min) on top of everything else, its starting to resemble a $2k LS1 price.

Originally Posted by gagliano7
TMS 440HP 5 7 Aluminum Block LS1 LS6 Performance Long Block Thompson Motorsports | eBay You would be better off going this route it will be cheaper in the end and have a warranty.
If I had that much money I might consider it.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

You want the aluminum block for weight savings?

If the LQ4 checks out good, i say just run it as-is. If it ever fails, then go with your aluminum block build.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
You want the aluminum block for weight savings?

If the LQ4 checks out good, i say just run it as-is. If it ever fails, then go with your aluminum block build.
I hear it is only about 80lbs +/- so I am debating that. As soon as I get all the ls1/2/3/6/7 info engraved in my head, I will pull the trigger on something.

I want something that is in the 380rwhp range. Off idle to 5krpm is my target range with plenty of room for 6.5k pulls once in a blue moon (more about the mid range torque). I know, MPG should not even be a concern, but, if I can have my cake and eat it too, then.... With that, I was looking at the 5.3 L33 or LS1 Engine. The 6.0 starts to give me the MPG hives, lol, but, would be easier to be at 380hp. 5.3 built to 380hp or 6.0 built to 380hp? Whats better on gas when just cruising driving to work? Lastly, adding/swapping harnesses, oil pans etc just might equal out either engines in $$ wise. So, a lot of deciding on the 5.3/5.7 or 6.0 to do. I plan to keep the setup for 200k miles so I will have to live with my choice for a while. Thats one of the reasons I was thinking of just going with a "new" block now, to avoid the rush of swapping out later. Same thing with the aluminum block option.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attached Thumbnails 2006 LQ4 internals into what blocks?  WAY too confusing, I need hepl!!-screenshot_2014-10-31-15-40-49.png  
Old 11-01-2014, 07:02 AM
sbf
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

camarotestdriver what state are you in
Old 11-01-2014, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How heavy is the car and what gears/tire size?
Also any idea what the current engine/tranny combo weights?
Old 11-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey Camaro I have been reading your posts about big dollar ls engines this is the second one I found on a local craigs list 1 2000 chevy ls 6.o engine complete 91k miles - $500 (johnston) auto parts - by owner the first one was a 5.3 with 120k and complete right down to the computer for 800 . I'm not busting your ***** with this just wanting to help you I live in R.I
Old 11-01-2014, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billymgb1000
hey Camaro I have been reading your posts about big dollar ls engines this is the second one I found on a local craigs list 1 2000 chevy ls 6.o engine complete 91k miles - $500 (johnston) auto parts - by owner the first one was a 5.3 with 120k and complete right down to the computer for 800 . I'm not busting your ***** with this just wanting to help you I live in R.I
He doesn't want help. Multiple people have held his hand and shown him motors, I think he's just on here to bitch about the economy, and the demand for high hp motors... lets say he pays 1000 or 1200... still a good deal for 300+HP. .. find any other performance motor making 300+hp factory for the price of a ls... good luck, **** even a Honda b16 goes for over 1000 and makes like 180 HP

Quick Reply: 2006 LQ4 internals into what blocks? WAY too confusing, I need hepl!!