Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling the motor...need some help

Old 11-11-2014, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default pulling the motor...need some help

so my lifter problem wasnt a lifter after all, apparently i shouldn't be a doctor because im terrible with diagnoses but anyways, a mechanic friend of mine says my tap/knock/slap whatever it is, sounds like a rod bearing on its way out. since the car is getting a 408 eventually anyway, lets just get that motor out and have a look. now ive seen lots of people say that YES you can take the motor out the front. but no one really says anything about tips or tricks to get it out. does the radiator need to come out?, takings heads off make it easier? remove water pump? with or without trans attached? do the sell a plate that attaches to the motor to lift it by? ect...i dont have a the lift needed to come out the bottom so thats not an option. but i do have a stand and a cherry picker. thanks for any help.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:17 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Take as much off the engine as possible (heads, water pump, accessories) and remove the radiator and hood. You're going to need as much room as possible to get it out but it's really not that difficult.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

It's easier than most people make it out to be. I used a typical engine hoist plate. Didn't have to remove the hood either on my SS. It pretty much comes right out. Just be sure to extend the hoist arm out as much as possible.
Attached Thumbnails pulling the motor...need some help-img_0265.jpg   pulling the motor...need some help-img_0267.jpg  
Old 11-12-2014, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

I just pulled my engine/trans combo out the bottom with just two floor jacks and two tall jack stands. It really is easier than just swapping heads n cam with the engine in the car. It took about 4 hours by myself.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just sooo much easier to pull from the bottom imo....
Old 11-13-2014, 02:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you can take the engine out the top. Is it easier then bottom? You'll find it's a 50/50 split among everyone which is easier. If you take out the bottom you have to get an alignment done and bleed the brake lines. It was far easier for me to take it out the top in fact I detail a little bit of it here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...8-build-3.html

As far as tips. Unless you hoist has a very long boon, you'll need to take the front bumper off. This is easily done in a few minutes. It's only a few bolts and gm lock down fastners. You can then put the hoist up against the foam support as a brace and take the engine out. Radiator has to come out...you might get away with leaving the ac condenser in as it can sit upwards in the cavity and you can leave ac lines connected and just take the compressor off the cradle, I don't know though as I didn't have ac at the time so I took it all out. Take off water pump, accessories, alternator, unbolt headers, take bolts of the flexplate to convertor, take off starter, take bolts of transmission. Label every connector so you can track it later. There are several bolts on the back of the heads that are ground straps take them off, you have a little travel room before they pull but don't break them. One bolt holds the trans dip stick tube to a head. After that you can lift it right out even with the harmonic balancer on (though it's a tight squeeze). My thread has some pics.

Best of luck.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:47 AM
12 Second Club

thanks guys. i think ill be able to get this done with what you've said so far. ill just have to double check for those grounds in sensors in the back of the heads/motor so i dont yank something out. and i have a Huron speed Non-ac kit so ill just yank the AC while im in there to give me a little room

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pulling the motor...need some help