Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossthreaded #2 plug :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossthreaded #2 plug :(

Hey guys, i need some help, i cross threaded my cyclinder 2 plug. Now do i need to remove my heads to tap them?? or can i do it on the car?? I know i will have to remove my Longtubes, as the cyclinder 2 primary is in the way, but what about the shavings?? can i like suck them out some way or is it a must to remove the head?? Also, what is involved in removing the head??? I have a LT1, so would i need to remove the intake? Or just the valve cover etc. Thanks for the help

Dave
Old 05-26-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just pull the head and do it on a bench top, less worry of dropping fillings and shavings into the cylinder and risk damaging the cylinder walls.

Cylinder head removal is fully detailed on http://ls1howto.com
Old 05-26-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How bad is it? Just a couple threads? If you're really stuck, I'd put some heavy grease (axle grease?) on the tap, and run it through slowly (put it in 1/4", remove it, clean it off, put it back in, etc, make sure she's comfortable errr nevermind). The heavy grease will hold the shavings so you SHOULD be okay.

I still recommend pulling the head, btw.

Dope
Old 05-26-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replys guys, hopefully its not a long process, thanks again.

Dave
Old 05-26-2004, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any of you guys know the correct tap size that should be used?
Old 05-26-2004, 08:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Spark plug tap

The spark plug thread is 14 mm X 1.25. If the thread is not too damaged (just the top thread or two) you can repair it with the tap. Otherwise you will have to install a thread insert.

Best way is to remove the head from the car. Thread the tap using oil or (WD40) with your fingers into the plug hole from the combustion chamber side out. That way it will start straight in the existing threads. Turn it with a wrench or tap handle when you get to the damaged area. It will be nearly impossible to pick up the threads (not to mention start the tap straight) from the spark plug side of the head whether the head is on or off the car.

Steve Demirjian
Race Engine Development
Old 05-26-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng
The spark plug thread is 14 mm X 1.25. If the thread is not too damaged (just the top thread or two) you can repair it with the tap. Otherwise you will have to install a thread insert.

Best way is to remove the head from the car. Thread the tap using oil or (WD40) with your fingers into the plug hole from the combustion chamber side out. That way it will start straight in the existing threads. Turn it with a wrench or tap handle when you get to the damaged area. It will be nearly impossible to pick up the threads (not to mention start the tap straight) from the spark plug side of the head whether the head is on or off the car.

Steve Demirjian
Race Engine Development
Good info, thanks

Dave
Old 05-26-2004, 11:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this happened to me one time.

i got a spark plug hole chaser from autozone, put a ton of grease on it to both lube it and catch the threads, ran is through the crossthreaded plug hole. than fired the motor for a few seconds without that plug there to blow out all the crap

worked great
Old 05-27-2004, 02:53 AM
11 Second Club

(put it in 1/4", remove it, clean it off, put it back in, etc, make sure she's comfortable errr nevermind)

buahahahaha.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
this happened to me one time.

i got a spark plug hole chaser from autozone, put a ton of grease on it to both lube it and catch the threads, ran is through the crossthreaded plug hole. than fired the motor for a few seconds without that plug there to blow out all the crap

worked great
That idea sounds like a winner to me.

Quick Reply: Crossthreaded #2 plug :(