Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Look at my Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Look at my Spark Plugs

Ok sorry about the bad resolution pics. This was one of the plugs u can see the pic attached. It looked red and right now my car is in the heat in the Middle East its very hot out. I have been getting alot of detonation so I think thats why its red ? correct me if im wrong. Before I get into details, its a 2002 WS6 M6 tuned by ls1speed with patriot performance ls6 style heads ( its burning oil I still did not install the newer seals Terry is using but I will right now. Also a g5x2. some other plugs were black and oily and i think thats from the valve seal leaking issue. Also idling has been acting up lately, it wont idle, it would just go down and shut off the motor even after its warm.

While driving the other day I felt like the motor was dying as some points its like one of the cylinders is loosing compression and then it runs fine and again when its the turn for that cylinder it happens again(just felt like that) and also like something banging at that same point of lost compression
so i pulled out the valve covers to see if theres anything out of the normal but all looked fine. so i decided on a compression test (or maybe gonna do the leakdown like everyone here suggests.)

Anything you guys suggest i should do and any comments on the spark plugs?
Thanks in advance.

Mahmood

EDIT: also, going back to a stock cam, would it be a problem if i still used the patriot double springs on the stock ls1 cam or should i get some stock springs and use those??
Attached Thumbnails Need Help Look at my Spark Plugs-cimg0144.jpg   Need Help Look at my Spark Plugs-cimg0146.jpg  
Old 05-27-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Can't say whats up with the plugs.. very hard to see them.

But for your second Q. Yes you can run the PP Golds with your stock cam.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PurdueWS6
Ok sorry about the bad resolution pics. This was one of the plugs u can see the pic attached. It looked red and right now my car is in the heat in the Middle East its very hot out. I have been getting alot of detonation so I think thats why its red ? correct me if im wrong. Before I get into details, its a 2002 WS6 M6 tuned by ls1speed with patriot performance ls6 style heads ( its burning oil I still did not install the newer seals Terry is using but I will right now. Also a g5x2. some other plugs were black and oily and i think thats from the valve seal leaking issue. Also idling has been acting up lately, it wont idle, it would just go down and shut off the motor even after its warm.

While driving the other day I felt like the motor was dying as some points its like one of the cylinders is loosing compression and then it runs fine and again when its the turn for that cylinder it happens again(just felt like that) and also like something banging at that same point of lost compression
so i pulled out the valve covers to see if theres anything out of the normal but all looked fine. so i decided on a compression test (or maybe gonna do the leakdown like everyone here suggests.)

Anything you guys suggest i should do and any comments on the spark plugs?
Thanks in advance.

Mahmood

EDIT: also, going back to a stock cam, would it be a problem if i still used the patriot double springs on the stock ls1 cam or should i get some stock springs and use those??
that wasn't rust on the plug was it??
Old 05-27-2004, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Nope it wasnt rust.. its coolant.. Dexcool has gonna into the cylinders.. thats coolant on that plug..
Old 05-27-2004, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PurdueWS6
Ok sorry about the bad resolution pics.
it's not bad resolution, it's bad focal point
Old 05-27-2004, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah man, thats coolant on those plugs.. You prolly got a blown headgasket or somthing.. hope its nothing to major..
Old 05-28-2004, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

anything i can do to double check thats coolant leaking into the combustion chamber before i go pulling out my heads? any ideas ??

Mahmood
Old 05-28-2004, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

Yes,
Your coolant level should be going down, and you maybe able to see some foam on your dipstick, but water does not always get into the oil, its about 50/50
Old 05-28-2004, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

coolant level is still the same, still in the Full section and not moved since the heads and cam install. and no foam. im still leaning towards the detonation that made it turn red. we have very bad fuel here, maybe 85 or 87, and its very hot. maybe thats what got it this red?
Old 05-28-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Junkie

My truck is runing 10.3:1 comp, and if i get bad or low grade gas it pings alot and runs crapy. My plugs have looked a little redish brown before, but it all cleared up with some good stout additive. Try some good additive and drive it around to see if it helps any with the stalling and poor performance. Best thing is if you can fill a tank with 100 octane from a small air port. Its only $2.50 a gallon, and these days its the same or cheaper than premium.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Mahmood--

If you haven't already...get a 160* thermostat in that thing pronto. The high heat combined with crap gas is gonna make you detonate like mad. Is 87 the highest octane you can get over there? I'd also suggest running a colder plug while over there...maybe some NGK TR6's.

-Jason (Purdue Alumni )
Old 05-28-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Most of the shop books have a diagram in the back to help you read your plugs. I can't see crud in those pics, but you look like you are running lean. Look for little silver specs on the plug, particularly on the ceramic. That means detonation.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

no small airports here, general aviation is not even allowed over here so only thing is commercial planes and those use jet fuel so thats out of the question.

a friend of mine mentioned toulene(sp) and xylene(sp), some additive they use for paint and supposedly it has 114 and 117 octane rating. he says he used it on his 383 stroker and it worked just fine. any suggestions ?
Old 05-28-2004, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

I have heard of people running those, but I have never tried them myself.

YOU do need better than 87 on a H/C car, and I am sure the PCM has you running on the lower octane timing table, which will also kill your performance.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FinalTA
Mahmood--

If you haven't already...get a 160* thermostat in that thing pronto. The high heat combined with crap gas is gonna make you detonate like mad. Is 87 the highest octane you can get over there? I'd also suggest running a colder plug while over there...maybe some NGK TR6's.

-Jason (Purdue Alumni )
Ok I havent done that yet so that should be next in plan. but i did order tr6's. now will i need any programming after i get the 160* thermostat ?

btw jason, i graduated december 2003, when did u graduate ?
Old 05-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Launching!

I graduated in May '01.

You will not need a reprogram for the 160* Tstat. However, you may want to lower your fan settings to take full advantage of it...

-Jason