Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG G5X3 cam installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking LG G5X3 cam installed!!!

Thanks first off the Mike at AZ Power and Sound, he made things real easy, GREAT guy, excellent work, knows what he is talking about and what he is doing! We ran into a couple things that we couldn't control. The trouble was that Comp Cams shorted us 2 valve spring seats, nice huh? So we had to improvise and make a couple seats to get it finished, things are running great, the 2 new seats will be here today, Lou is overnighting us some. And the other thing was this, after we got it all finished we took it for a spin. It fired right up, sounds mean as hell, idles perfect, runs perfect etc. Anyways, I got the temps all up to normal, turned a corner and began to flog that biotch! It tore first gear up, tires went up in smoke, then shift to second, same thing, third it starts to hook and man it hits hard! The car was MOVING!! I hit it again and after a few mins and right after that I noticed I had no power steering and the battery was low, etc, turns out I spun the damn belt off the pullies, and backed out the pulley bolt and made the ASP pulley come loose too!!! That's some power!!! We fixed that, got a new belt and things are great, used lots of lock tight this time This cam is amazing, pulls so hard, from the start all the way up!! Tons of power, plenty of torque down low, etc, just plain out awesome!

I drove it again last night hard and spun that brand new belt off again, so no more flogging it until I get that new pulley, either the Katech or the ASP tensioner pulley.

This cam is great, I would recommend it to anyone looking for one, no need to worry about things, went together smoothly and works great. Drives like stock around town until you hit that go pedal, then watch out, it's all serious after that

Thanks again Mike, I can't say enough of the service and support!

He even helped me remove all my EGR/AIR crap for emissions, it's been turned off for months via LS1edit, but not it's all gone, looks much better!!!

P.S. I got the 114 LSA if you are curious
Old 05-27-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

NIce!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats
Old 05-27-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Todd - Thanks dude! Hey are you interested in my old setup? Mike and I were talking when we were installing my new stuff, and he thought my old setup would be pretty good for your truck. Let me know, I will sell it to you cheaper than anyone else. It's a Comp Cams 224/228 .581/.588 112 cam, with Comp 918's and titanium retainers.

01_SuperSlow - Thanks dude, it's a BAD CAM!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

possible. I already have Bryces cam sittin there which he seems to have donated to the cause. We'll see.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

todd. did you emediately tune it, or did it run like that without the tune?
Old 05-27-2004, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Quick 99 - Are you talking to me? I am not Todd, but for my car, I tuned it before I got the X3, had it tuned for my old cam. It ran like it does right after the install, no tuning yet.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Todd - Yeah Mike said you had Bryce's old cam, but mine might be better and make more power. Just let me know, I have some others that may be interested, but would like to sell it locally if I can.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:01 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

sweeet!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
Todd - Yeah Mike said you had Bryce's old cam, but mine might be better and make more power. Just let me know, I have some others that may be interested, but would like to sell it locally if I can.
I think todd is trying to avoid the "modding bug" this time around ....which may be why he wants to go with something smaller.

Congrats on the new found ooooomph
Old 05-28-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Congrats Scott!!

- Dug
Old 05-28-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

What other parts did you replace when you got the g5x3? springs, push rods, etc. Just wondering b/c I am debating between the tr230 and the g5x3, and just wanting to know what all needs to be replaced with this cam to keep the engine from going to hell. So if you could give names and part numbers if possible that would really help for pricing comparability.

<<edit>> Oh yah I forgot to ask how does this thing breath with stock heads? <<edit>>

Fry
Old 05-28-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Matt - hehe, he will mod that truck, you know we can't live with stock speed Thanks dude, these cams are awesome!!!

Dug - Thanks dude, it's definitely getting there now, I may throw the bottle on it later, then that will be the last thing my motor can take, 10's for sure

Fry - I changed the springs, retainers and seats, it was the Comp Cams 921 spring package. You can get it from Thunder or LG, etc. I already had Thunder Racing hardened pushrods from the last cam setup, so I just reused those. I am using stock heads which flow ok, these cams are hitting 430RWHP range with stock heads, 420 area here in AZ with the crappy gas, so I guess the stock heads are doing ok for it I was thinking of the TR230 as well, but after driving a car with the G5X3 in it, no more thinking was necessary, X3 all the way. I am glad I did, I think I would have been a little let down on the TR230 over my Comp Cam I had before. I would go with the X3 for sure, you won't regret it.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the info Orange, and what size pushrod should I look at getting (stock?)

Fry
Old 06-01-2004, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got the TR hardened stock length pushrods.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Orange Peel, What's the specs on the G5X3?
Old 06-02-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lady Redhawk
Orange Peel, What's the specs on the G5X3?
here we go again

Best bet for getting specs is call Lou... www.lgmotorsports.com
Old 06-02-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
here we go again

Best bet for getting specs is call Lou... www.lgmotorsports.com
What do you mean by "here we go again" I'm not sure I understand. Are people getting cams and don't know what the specs are?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that's correct, a whole bunch of us crazy guys are buying a cam that we dont even know the specs of, besides a relative region of course.. lg motorsports hasnt released the cam, theres multiple threads on this topic right now, that why he said here we go again...
Old 06-02-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Quick 99
that's correct, a whole bunch of us crazy guys are buying a cam that we dont even know the specs of, besides a relative region of course.. lg motorsports hasnt released the cam, theres multiple threads on this topic right now, that why he said here we go again...
For real? Do you know basicly what it is? What treads talks about it I would like to read up on it?

Quick Reply: LG G5X3 cam installed!!!