Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped head bolt down an empty lifter hole like a fool

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 02:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped head bolt down an empty lifter hole like a fool

Heads are back from the machine shop and all the hardware to boot from Texas Speed just showed up so what do I do... I dropped a small head bolt down my lifter hole while I was cleaning out the holes. I walked away from it for a day just to cool down.

I heard it land right on the damn windage tray. Tomorrow I'm gonna pull the oil pump and try to get a magnet pen maneuvered over to it. If that doesn't work I'm gonna try to use a slim coat hanger and try to drag it down to the oil pan and maybe snag it from there. If I get it down to the bottom of the oil pan I've read some forums where people have just left it on the bottom of the pan with no problems. Any votes?

Lifting the motor to pull the pan is gonna set me back big time and I'm trying to avoid that at all costs. No name calling necessary, not the stupidest thing I've ever done but pretty fn close.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:43 AM
12 Second Club

I feel for ya dude, it's always some stupid mistake that slows you down. Good luck and I hope it goes fast for ya!
Old 01-09-2015, 04:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It happens... Those magnetic parts trays from Harbor Freight are really good for holding things. Don't get up-set because that will cause problems too.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the cam out? If it fell in certain positions, you can see the cam under the valley cover (see photo) because there are large areas uncovered. If you are lucky, you might be able to get it that way with a flexible magnet.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by projectX
I feel for ya dude, it's always some stupid mistake that slows you down. Good luck and I hope it goes fast for ya!
I have done plenty of stupid too. One time I lost a bolt down an intake in a SBC. I didn't know it at the time and only found it once it ended up stuck in an intake valve.

If you can't get it out the front, is it small enough to move toward the oil pan drain plug? You might be able to use a strong magnet (magnet on outside of pan) to drag it to the drain hole.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Or go in through the front cover if it is off the motor.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:17 PM
Teching In

I'm def gonna try the valley cover option and the front cover option. Appreciate all the replies! Once I get in there I'll let ya'll know how things turned out.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Don't feel bad, I was helping a friend put a new topend on his motor and he dropped a washer in the intake while installing the carb. Pulled the intake and no washer, Pulled both heads and still no washer. I suggested we roll the car back and look under the car and he reluctantly agreed while swearing the washer fell in the intake. Rolled the car back and there is was lol.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Someone on CF dropped one in the head but didn't know he did. When he started the motor within 30 seconds it was toast and had to be replaced. At least you know you dropped it.

Quick Reply: Dropped head bolt down an empty lifter hole like a fool