Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb / Pushrod Question / Short travel lifters: Possible to jam valve into piston?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Lol! Chances are you're fine.
I know I was just being cheeky . With my 2110R's I ended up with a 7.350" pushrod @ .030" preload. Motor made 471/442 and has been running great ever since!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE-

Checking pushrod length with every combo is critical with a short travel lifter!

I lost cam bearings in the lq9 within a few hundred miles. The oil pressure dropped to 10 psi so I plucked it. It was a sketchy junkyard shortblock so not terribly surprised. When I had it apart I went with a slightly less aggressive cam. Put the whole thing back together and..... no compression. WTF? I pulled the rocker arms which brought back all of my compression. The base circle on the new cam was bigger which made the pushrods too long which held the intake valves open.

The new pushrod was a 7.50 exhaust and 7.55 intake whereas the 7.6 held the valves open. Very minor changes greatly affect pushrod length on short travel lifters! Lesson learned!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Havoc40 , I've always understood the clips You show a pic of in the "2110 with standard c-clip" to be called "snap-rings" and I normally use "snap-ring" plyers to remove and install them .
Old 02-23-2017, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
Havoc40 , I've always understood the clips You show a pic of in the "2110 with standard c-clip" to be called "snap-rings" and I normally use "snap-ring" plyers to remove and install them .
Yes, you're correct they're snap rings. To be exact, they're internal retaining rings. Around the shop we've always call them c-clips as we used to do have a thin stamped steel clip for the "R" version. For employees not well versed in these types of things the simplest explanation was to just call them "C-Clips" because they're shaped like a "C" vs. the stamped race clip. But no, that isn't the proper terminology. It's just a habit lol. Semantics.

Quick Reply: Newb / Pushrod Question / Short travel lifters: Possible to jam valve into piston?