Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported OEM 4.8/5.3 liter heads----solid results!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Default Ported OEM 4.8/5.3 liter heads----solid results!

Guys,

Just did a set of 4.8/5.3 liter heads for a customer's project that turned out really well. They were pretty dirty when I got them.....I sonic cleaned the castings and R&R'ed the guides....basically threw away ALL the stock hardware including the valves. I ended up going with a 1.950 intake valve and a 1.570 exhaust. Fitted them with high quality PAC springs when I was done.....they really came out excellent considering the size of the finished port (213 cc), the small bore I flowed them on (3.900) and the intake valve that's almost the same size as some of the BBC exhaust valves I play with!!

Picture of one of the heads on the flowbench.....

Flownumbers on a 3.900 bore fixture

Lift.....Int.....Exh

Pretty impressive piece all things considered

In fact these results have prompted me to want to implement a new small valve head in an aftermarket casting (AFR) specifically targeting these small bore engines that are littered in salvage yards across the country and can usually be had extremely cheap.

Im targeting a finished volume of 200-205 cc's in the more efficient aftermarket casting and Im hoping it clears 300 CFM as well with really strong low and midlift numbers for its valve/port size.

Should have this program wrapped up sometime in March/April and will be testing it shortly after on the dyno using a a stock 5.3 liter shortblock.

Im actually looking forward to this testing and have an idea of what I would like to see for the final results with a baby cam (low 220's @ .050) and a ported LSXRT. Should be interesting

I will keep you guys posted

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 02-09-2015, 02:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 536 Likes on 383 Posts

Seem to have a lot of time invested in those and great work as always.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:17 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Nice results with a small port. And good to see a "Mamofied 205" coming out for the 5.3s.

I see this a lot around here. Guys are picking up fox bodies, third gens, 3-series bimmers, Volvos, RX7s, and 240SXs for LS swaps. Their swap of choice? 5.3. And a turbo.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This would be perfect if the heads come out to a good price.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Any pics of the runners?

And do you have plans to do the same to 243/LS3 heads in the future Tony?
Old 02-10-2015, 02:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Boostedhatch
This would be perfect if the heads come out to a good price.
Originally Posted by redtan
Any pics of the runners?

And do you have plans to do the same to 243/LS3 heads in the future Tony?
Most guys dont realize the time and money needed in transforming a stock head into something really worthwhile. At least at the level I tend to finish them at. Castings need to be sonic cleaned.....guides need to be R&R'ed....I literally throw away ALL the OEM hardware including the valves....CNC porting time (custom program).....then I typically hand finish the heads and perfect them from there.....check guide clearance when its all wrapped up and reassemble with high quality aftermarket components (valves, springs, Ti retainers, spring locators, seals, etc.) that can approach $1000 in just parts.

Most of the OEM heads I do usually run about 2K all said and done with aftermarket larger valves typically installed but I would put any of them up against any other ported stock head, both on the flowbench and on the dyno and at the track.

Redtan....you asked about 243 and LS3 heads. I already have a program for both. Normally get a legit 310+ CFM out of my CNC/hand finished 243 castings (real world flow numbers), and my LS3 heads I get around 360-365 CFM. In fact my 2nd Gen CTSV I ported a set of OEM LS3 heads for and spent a bunch of time on those (pushed those castings to 368-370 CFM).....but now I usually advise my customers to let me rework the more efficient TFS LS3 castings and I get 390-395 CFM from those (BIG #'s).....they simply werent on the market yet when I took on my personal LS3 based build or I would have clearly went that direction.

Regardining my future small valve/small bore dedicated AFR 205, it will flow and make more power than any reworked OEM casting on the planet not to mention feature a stouter deck and be alot more efficient but the cost of the better castings and high quality components will end up placing the final cost of the product exactly where you would expect....in the $2500 range in out of the box trim.....more if your looking for some of the extra Mamo loving to not leave a single CFM on the table.

I will be dyno testing a set of these heads on a stock 5.3.....should make for a really interesting day. I will be finishing the test with a ported FAST LSXRT as alot of the actual applications of this head might actually consider running one. I'm hoping to get this thing close to 500 HP with a small user friendly/daily driver type hyd roller. That would make the daily commute in your Tahoe alot more fun.....LOL

Anyway....getting ahead of myself but I suspect these heads are going to really work well, especially for the target audience I have in mind and the exhaust port is going to be pretty stout as well which should help the guys that are going turbo etc.

Good stuff.....I'm actually pretty excited about this new program

Regards,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 02-10-2015, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A true artist, whose medium is aluminum cylinder head castings....
Old 02-10-2015, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Hey Tony it's Dan thanks for the great work on my heads. I will be in contact about a ported FAST LSXRT and everything else I need to put my motor together.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by millertime64
Hey Tony it's Dan thanks for the great work on my heads. I will be in contact about a ported FAST LSXRT and everything else I need to put my motor together.
Dan,

Your welcome....it was good meeting up with you and your Dad.

Let me know when your ready to start accumulating more pieces of the puzzle!

I was hoping you might see this post!....LOL

(Dan is the owner of the heavily modified OEM heads I have featured in this thread!)

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Old 02-14-2015, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice results! Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by millertime64
I will be in contact about a ported FAST LSXRT
you won't be disappointed!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Damn. I have been pushing for something like this for years.

I am really excited to see how everything turns out.

If you need anything For this let me know. I would be willing to work with you to further the small bore stuff especially for the truck market. Feel free to send me a PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:11 AM
Teching In

We 4.8/5.3 swap guys need a great small bore head to keep pushing the hp numbers up and the ETs down. Many builds start on a budget but later down the road we all want to go faster. I love that Wiesco has seen the swap niche and offers off the shelf forged pistons even though our choices are few at least we have some. Now to get a head choice other than stock castings, especially from my favorite company AFR, is exciting to the 4.8/5.3 community. Need those thick decks to push the psi even higher. Can't wait!!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

88lt1
Actually it is Tony's new Company MMS which is carrying the ball
On this project, not his former employer AFR. But since Tony
Was the head designer responsible for all of AFR's LS Cylinder
Head development, even better!
Old 03-02-2015, 04:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
88lt1
Actually it is Tony's new Company MMS which is carrying the ball
On this project, not his former employer AFR. But since Tony
Was the head designer responsible for all of AFR's LS Cylinder
Head development, even better!
Dan,

Thanks for that clarification!

I am still working on my small valve cathedral head aimed squarely at the 4.8/5.3 crowd....looks to be coming in at a finished volume in the low 200's. I will update you guys on flow numbers and final cc's when its all sorted out but I have made alot of progress so far.

It will have a 1.940 intake valve and a 1.570 exhaust....I figure with everything I have on my plate right now its about two months away which isn't too bad.

Will start a thread dedicated to that program with information as soon as its available.

Also, a few guys have asked me for more details about my new MMS 220 heads. I will be posting an official thread with facts and figures surrounding that product shortly....wanting to flow a few more pieces before posting the flow numbers but suffice to say that in out of the box trim (without my hand finishing), its better than a "Mamofied" AFR 215 and I have made big power on numerous builds with that head (my goal was to be just as good in out of the box trim so I'm very pleased). I'm expecting the new 220's to perform very well.....keep you guys posted

Regards,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Old 03-09-2015, 07:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Dan,

Thanks for that clarification!

I am still working on my small valve cathedral head aimed squarely at the 4.8/5.3 crowd....looks to be coming in at a finished volume in the low 200's. I will update you guys on flow numbers and final cc's when its all sorted out but I have made alot of progress so far.

It will have a 1.940 intake valve and a 1.570 exhaust....I figure with everything I have on my plate right now its about two months away which isn't too bad.

Will start a thread dedicated to that program with information as soon as its available.

Also, a few guys have asked me for more details about my new MMS 220 heads. I will be posting an official thread with facts and figures surrounding that product shortly....wanting to flow a few more pieces before posting the flow numbers but suffice to say that in out of the box trim (without my hand finishing), its better than a "Mamofied" AFR 215 and I have made big power on numerous builds with that head (my goal was to be just as good in out of the box trim so I'm very pleased). I'm expecting the new 220's to perform very well.....keep you guys posted

Regards,
Tony
are you still planning on conducting the dyno test for the heads or did you run out of steam.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:14 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
in out of the box trim (without my hand finishing), its better than a "Mamofied" AFR 215 and I have made big power on numerous builds with that head (my goal was to be just as good in out of the box trim so I'm very pleased). I'm expecting the new 220's to perform very well.....keep you guys posted Regards, Tony
Damn. I can't wait to see what these are gonna do!
Old 03-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Tony, if you need a stock bottom end 5.3 n2o car to ginnie pig let me know! im starting with stock 799 heads so i could swap them and give results/track times NA and on spray.

BTW, Tony is the man, he did a great job on probably the most botched set of AFR225's he has ever seen!
Old 03-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Tony,
Did you use 862 castings for this test?

Thanks,
Old 03-10-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

First post, second pic shows 862 casting
Old 03-10-2015, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very interested in these Tony! I'm getting ready to build a 5.3 based motor for my Mustang!
Attached Thumbnails Ported OEM 4.8/5.3 liter heads----solid results!-5.3engine.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ported OEM 4.8/5.3 liter heads----solid results!