Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest/Easiest Way to Beefen Up Stock Bottom End?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Cheapest/Easiest Way to Beefen Up Stock Bottom End?

I did some searching but didn't come up with much. I don't really plan to do any of this but perhaps I may by the end of the year when I'm putting out some more power. I have a 99, and I heard their bottom ends are the worst. What are some cheap ways to beefen up the bottom end? I was thinking about some ARP rod bolts. They are pretty cheap and I guess can be installed with the motor still in the car, but taking out the k-member ofcourse. Is there anything else?
Old 05-31-2004, 12:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i need to do this also, but i head that changing rodbolts in the car wasnt a good idea because the clearances change. now im wondering if that fact or not.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is at futral motorsports receiving an arp rod bolt upgrade. I had some other things being done which required at least some movement of the motor, and figured I might as well get this done in the process. To be honest, Allan thought there was better things I could spend my money on if I didn't take it to 7k but every once in a while (track visits only). However, I want to have the ability to do that with the new cam I am receiving, and I hope it pulls to 7k. My car is supposed to be done in 2 weeks, so I hope I can share some positive info with a stockbottomend + arp's strength I'm one of those folks who would have done it just for added stability even if I only take it to 6800. I think you can never spend too much money making the car stronger

Peace,
Josh
Old 05-31-2004, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

you will need to pullthe engine to get it alighn honed tolerances change that is fact

sorry but it's better you know now than later!
Old 05-31-2004, 03:31 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by distortion_69
My car is at futral motorsports receiving an arp rod bolt upgrade. I had some other things being done which required at least some movement of the motor, and figured I might as well get this done in the process. To be honest, Allan thought there was better things I could spend my money on if I didn't take it to 7k but every once in a while (track visits only). However, I want to have the ability to do that with the new cam I am receiving, and I hope it pulls to 7k. My car is supposed to be done in 2 weeks, so I hope I can share some positive info with a stockbottomend + arp's strength I'm one of those folks who would have done it just for added stability even if I only take it to 6800. I think you can never spend too much money making the car stronger

Peace,
Josh
hell, i did a forged bottom end i only plan on spinning to around 6500. after my spun bearing on my old motor i decided to justs buck up and do things right.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

Awesome.. I'd be doing that if my car had more than 29k on it I also wanted to be able to be listed in cam only class if my car turns a good number. I'm pretty sure I can be listed with arp rod bolts. Hehe.. forged for 6500 is overkill.. However, if I had a few grand to drop, thats what I'd do. Thats awesome. Leaves alot of room for things like spray tho I just put forged pistons/rods/crank in my brothers sbc for 6300rpms.. Heres to overkill!

Peace,
Josh
Old 05-31-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Most of my research shows the lower ends to be very good stock and able to handle up to 500HP at the crank. The stress cracked rod caps are OK but definitely like better bolts.
The biggest basic improvement I found is for the oil pump and rear oil galley plug. The oil pump is driven off the crank and mates/seals to the block with no gasket. It also has lots of flashing from GM and likes to get some mild porting and blueprinting. The rear oil galley plug can actuall back out of its hole and cause oil to spill back into the pan. There is little loss of pressure but the lower end will grenade in short order, especially when revved.
Last, it's not a lower end question but any revs over 6500 rpm will can cause the push rods to bend or break. Replace them with chromoly or upgraded aftermarket stuff.