Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used 243 + P&P or New aftermarket heads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Used 243 + P&P or New aftermarket heads?

I've been debating whether its worth it or not to buy a set of used 243s and have them ported & polished VS buying a set of new aftermarket heads.

I'm trying to couple this up with a mild cam like a 228r, 3xxx stall, and all supporting mods.

If aftermarket is better, what CNC is a good size to go with?
Old 04-20-2015, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If it were me I'd feel more comfortable buying new when it comes to heads, but that's just me
Old 04-20-2015, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If money is no object and the absolute maximum power is the goal then aftermarket new can't be beat. Personally sending all my money on a car is not my priority and I picked up a set of LPE ported LS6 heads that were good enough plus the lightweight valves make for an easier time getting valvetrain stability at high RPM.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PRC as cast heads are hard to beat for the money, especially with no spring kit and a set of tooley duals.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was really wanting to order the PRC 2.5 LS6 heads/cam combo from Texas Speed back in the day, but they stopped offering it sadly :\

I think it may be easier to just order a Heads/Cam kit from someone because I can get everything in one purchase. - Money isn't too big of an issue, just the difference of waiting a month or two extra.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I'd buy new aftermarket. The savings on most OEM ported heads just isn't enough for me to go that route.
Attached Thumbnails Used 243 + P&P or New aftermarket heads?-new-picture.png  
Old 04-20-2015, 04:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 777Shock777
I've been debating whether its worth it or not to buy a set of used 243s and have them ported & polished VS buying a set of new aftermarket heads.

I'm trying to couple this up with a mild cam like a 228r, 3xxx stall, and all supporting mods.

If aftermarket is better, what CNC is a good size to go with?
We have some of the best porting services available for factory GM castings.
There have been several shootouts and posts about this.
Our heads are always on the top of the list for factory castings even with some aftermarket versions in the tests.
The only reason you would run an aftermarket casting is if you are running more boost or N2o than the factory decks can handle.
give us a call we can get you set up. 313-561-5500
Old 04-20-2015, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by usdmholden
Personally I'd buy new aftermarket. The savings on most OEM ported heads just isn't enough for me to go that route.
so saving 800.00 is not enough? because it is going to a 220cc AFR casting worked by somebody like Tony Mamo to out perform a quality 243 worked by those you listed. And that will end up costing around 2600.00.

I have yet to see a As Cast aftermarket head make more power then a worked 243. The cast stuff needs finished to outperform a ported 243, which drives the cost up significantly.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
so saving 800.00 is not enough? because it is going to a 220cc AFR casting worked by somebody like Tony Mamo to out perform a quality 243 worked by those you listed. And that will end up costing around 2600.00.

I have yet to see a As Cast aftermarket head make more power then a worked 243. The cast stuff needs finished to outperform a ported 243, which drives the cost up significantly.
Oh I didn't realize it'd be savings of that much! - I figured it'd be like $200-$400 difference, not $800.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

To some people (not me) $800 difference is nothing. FWIW my used LPE ported LS6 (243) heads with sodium/hollow valves were $600. There are better porters and better heads but what are you willing to spend and what are the supporting mods going to be to get the full potential of better heads? If you cruise the F/S sections you can often find deals on different brands.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kinglt-1

I think you've drunk the kool aid.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LivernoisMotorsports
Our heads are always on the top of the list for factory castings even with some aftermarket versions in the tests.
The only reason you would run an aftermarket casting is if you are running more boost or N2o than the factory decks can handle.
I have heard nothing but good reports of Livernois ported 243s. 777Shock777 would do well buying from you but what about us cash-strapped people. I see Livernois shop services offers a Valve Job- 16 Ports 3 angle with lapping for $127.50 Could you tell us more about what that $127.50 buys us ?
Old 04-20-2015, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 777Shock777
Oh I didn't realize it'd be savings of that much! - I figured it'd be like $200-$400 difference, not $800.
The benefit of most aftermarket as cast heads will be:

1) better valve angles
2) thicker decks
3) better port geometry
4) better combustion chambers
5) roughly the same price as a premium port LS6 head
6) they are brand new, no guessing if they have problems due to uncertain history

Sure, the LS6 heads are fantastic cylinder heads. They may be arguably some of the best OEM cylinder heads which Chevy has ever put on a pushrod V8, along with the LS7 head. However, with the premium port and chamber work that drives the price way up, the 243/799 head is maxed out. An as cast aftermarket head out of the box will be as good, or maybe only 98% as good, and can later if desired can be optimized to go further than the LS6 head can.

If you want the ported LS6 that is fine, however, I wouldn't buy into the most optimized head. Buy the budget versions. Livernois makes a good head and is the low cost option on my list above. Texas Speed used to sell LS6's without a core but I did not see them when I was looking this afternoon. Scoggin Dickey used to have a pair of ported 799's, with numbers nearly identical to Texas Speed's heads, for about $1000 outright. If those can still be purchased that is what I would buy but I have heard they don't sell them anymore.

Your description of a mild cam and 3000 RPM stall in your original post to me says you are not looking for a no holds barred optimized combo. If that is the case, the lower cost heads will probably make you perfectly happy.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fwiw I purchased my TEA stage 1 243's for $1000 shipped to my door. I'd go used heads from a guy who has good feedback, might have to wait a little, but that depends on how much money your time is worth.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

1) better valve angles
2) thicker decks
3) better port geometry
6) they are brand new, no guessing if they have problems due to uncertain history

Sure, the LS6 heads are fantastic cylinder heads. They may be arguably some of the best OEM cylinder heads which Chevy has ever put on a pushrod V8, along with the LS7 head. However, with the premium port and chamber work that drives the price way up, the 243/799 head is maxed out. An as cast aftermarket head out of the box will be as good, or maybe only 98% as good, and can later if desired can be optimized to go further than the LS6 head can.

If you want the ported LS6 that is fine, however, I wouldn't buy into the most optimized head. Buy the budget versions. Livernois makes a good head and is the low cost option on my list above. Texas Speed used to sell LS6's without a core but I did not see them when I was looking this afternoon. Scoggin Dickey used to have a pair of ported 799's, with numbers nearly identical to Texas Speed's heads, for about $1000 outright. If those can still be purchased that is what I would buy but I have heard they don't sell them anymore.

Your description of a mild cam and 3000 RPM stall in your original post to me says you are not looking for a no holds barred optimized combo. If that is the case, the lower cost heads will probably make you perfectly happy.
I tried to get the scoggins heads a couple of weeks ago and they aren't available and they are not sure if or when they will be.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gagliano7
I tried to get the scoggins heads a couple of weeks ago and they aren't available and they are not sure if or when they will be.
Understood. $1100 for good heads outright is a steal. It sucks they don't have them anymore, but I guess I'm really not surprised, they probably can't keep them on the shelves when they do have them.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Being burnt buying used heads before, I'd opt to buy new, but that's just me.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LivernoisMotorsports

Lovin my livernois stage 3 LS6 heads...
Old 04-21-2015, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

1) better valve angles
2) thicker decks
3) better port geometry

1. not better angles that's debatable
2 . thinker decks (depending on what head)
3. This is debatable
4. Same or similar combustion chamber, Not sure the aftermarket has done more research than GM
5. Significantly cheaper
6 Our heads our pressure checked an completely looked ovr better than new

In the end of you want aftermarket we can do those as well. An give us a chance to beat any price you get
Old 04-21-2015, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're buying everything from scratch get an aftermarket casting. It will be 99.9% just as good if not better than a ported 243. But you get the chance to beat the 243's later on if you wanted them touched up.

The only way I would do ported 243's is if I already had a set. Then I'd still even consider selling them and getting a set already ported. Here's the reason, a ported set of 243's goes for 600-1000 on here. You will spend 400+- for a decent set of used 243's then add another 1000 for a cnc job. Springs are negligible since you will need those with any set of heads. But now you've got 1400 in a set of heads that are maxxed out. Used trick flows or afr's can be had for about the same price and will be right on par in their stock form, but later on you can make them better with a porters touch.

Of course buying new aftermarket heads is going to cost more than used and ported 243's hats not rocket science.

My advice is look at your budget. If you can find a set of already ported 243s in the classifieds for 600-1000 i'd go for it. If not then get a set of stock afr's or the equivalent and go from there. But it makes no financial sense to me to buy a set of 243's and send them out and spend 1k more just to equal/MAYBE gain a slight edge to stock aftermarket castings.

I feel that post is a fair comparison lol

Quick Reply: Used 243 + P&P or New aftermarket heads?