Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody use the Castrol Magnatec oil in their noisey LS motor?

Old 04-29-2015, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody use the Castrol Magnatec oil in their noisey LS motor?

So it's about time to bust out my '02 Camaro SS for the Summer. This means some fresh oil and a filter. My car has had a rattling noise since new. Been told it's piston slap many of times. Yet, that happens on a cold motor. Mine is only noisey when started hot. Sounds great cold. I've played around with differnet oils, with not much luck. Mobil 1, Pennzoil and Castrol all gave me the same result...no change in noise. Now, I see this Magnatec oil from Castrol. If it does what it says (clings to cylinder walls and componets) wouldn't that help on start up? Just curious if there is any input on this subject. Also, I run a Mobil 1 oil filter. Would going to the longer filter vs. running the stock size short one help anything? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Just ignore the noises, they're normal. Have you tried Mobil 1 0W40 or Rotella T6 5W40? If it bothers you that much, buy a new forged short-block and install it; problem solved.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Very possible you have air getting into the oil stream from the pickup tube o ring. Hot the oil is very thin and air can get by a worn or damaged o ring easily. Its a big ball of bs all this piston slap. Last time I was at the dealer some one farted and they blamed it on piston slap!
Old 04-30-2015, 05:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Very possible you have air getting into the oil stream from the pickup tube o ring. Hot the oil is very thin and air can get by a worn or damaged o ring easily. Its a big ball of bs all this piston slap. Last time I was at the dealer some one farted and they blamed it on piston slap!
The slap is real! I have it on cold start up until coolant temp reaches about 110-130.

As for the OP could just be normal ls noises. Mine has some noise once warm, I've just dismissed it as normal ls stuff lol
Old 04-30-2015, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

I seriously doubt it.........lifter noise from oil gallery bleed down. My WS6 had "PISTON SLAP" for 80k miles until I put some TransX in the oil and it swelled the oring at the pickup tube. Now I magicly don't have "PISTON SLAP"< bunch of complete BS Where did it go? Maybe the dealer took it back?????????? Maybe monkeys flew out of my azz and took it???????

What I really want to hear is someone explain HOT ENGINE PISTON SLAP~

DON"T BELIEVE IT! there is such a thing as piston slap, but you guyz have no idea what it sounds like.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
I seriously doubt it.........lifter noise from oil gallery bleed down. My WS6 had "PISTON SLAP" for 80k miles until I put some TransX in the oil and it swelled the oring at the pickup tube. Now I magicly don't have "PISTON SLAP"< bunch of complete BS Where did it go? Maybe the dealer took it back?????????? Maybe monkeys flew out of my azz and took it???????

What I really want to hear is someone explain HOT ENGINE PISTON SLAP~

DON"T BELIEVE IT! there is such a thing as piston slap, but you guyz have no idea what it sounds like.
Are you sure you didn't have a lifter with a sticky plunger? What you did might have the same end result.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

Piston slap is a real issue in some engines. Ive done this for a long time and know what slap sounds like. But its only in cold engines. Once the engine warms up the parts swell and the noise goes away most of the time. Warm engine slap? I doubt it. Sounds like you have a different issue.

Ill state this again, I don't like Mobil 1 oil and all the big Synthetic oil hype. Synthetics aren't as good as standard oil at higher temps. And I am sure one day someone is going to post some info that "proves" synthetic is better. But I don't pay attention to computer data tested with an engine in some lab. I like real world data, like using it myself, which I have. I prefer and have run Valvoline oils for many years now. I use the race oil in my race engines and standard oil in street cars.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Taxman20
Piston slap is a real issue in some engines. Ive done this for a long time and know what slap sounds like. But its only in cold engines. Once the engine warms up the parts swell and the noise goes away most of the time. Warm engine slap? I doubt it. Sounds like you have a different issue.

Now there is a educated statement, My engine still has piston slap but its that barely audible rocky sound when the engine is cold that disappears within a few mins of running.................ANYTHING ELSE IS NOT PISTON SLAP! PISTON SLAP isn't ticky tappy knocking lifter noise. If you start the engine and its sounds like HELL knocking and tapping and ticking its one of 2 things.

1 lifter noise from overnight bleed down OR 2 carbon knock from the carbon that forms on the tops of the pistons. When the engine is cold and SMALL that carbon can contact the cylinder heads. Then as the engine warms and GROWS the carbon no longer hits and it quiets down<99% of all so called piston slap is this condition.

Piston Slap is just tossed out there by the dealers to get out of FIXIN YOUR CAR under warranty.

Piston Slap my azz!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

LOL, someone sounds cynical. You believe what you want to and I am good with that. I am not saying that he has piston slap, nor did I state that his noise is piston slap as I do not know what his engine sounds like. Yes I am educated when it comes to engines. And yes it does exist. There are different sounds for different things in an engine. I have heard just about all of them if not all of them. I have never seen a piston with enough carbon on the top to actually hit the head. Your talking about a very thick carbon, which would be VERY hard to build up that much. I build zero deck race engines that get some carbon build up after time and they don't knock when cold or hot and that's as close as your going to get to a head as you can safely get.

Again, we will agree to disagree.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:43 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

A search on Bob is the Oil Guy results in this:

Does the Castrol EDGE Titanium formula retain the same properties for the oil to cling like advertised for the Magnatec formula?

Castrol EDGE with Titanium FST contains a significantly different base oil mixture and additive package than Magnatec. Castrol EDGE with FST is our top premium full synthetic motor oil formulation with specific additives that not only has passed US standards but also the tougher European ACEA specifications for engine protection. Castrol Magnatec is a strong performing partial synthetic formulation that has been specifically designed for outstanding wear protection. Both Edge with Titanium FST and Magnatec have proven to give excellent wear protection based on industry testing.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 04-30-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:48 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I'm sticking with the German made Castrol 0W-40.

Piston slap is normal.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:38 AM
On The Tree

Wow, didn't mean to start a big debate. Haha! Just curious on the oil. Thanks for the input though. Wish I could find the German Castrol around here. I read people have decent results from that.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:05 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Walmart stocks it in five quart jugs at the best price of $26-but it's often sold out.

They'll also ship it for free if you hit $50, so order two jugs.

Confirm it says on the back "made in Germany"
Old 05-01-2015, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Walmart stocks it in five quart jugs at the best price of $26-but it's often sold out.

They'll also ship it for free if you hit $50, so order two jugs.

Confirm it says on the back "made in Germany"
Got ya. I'll have to take a look again at my local Walmart. Still run 5w-30 with that oil?
Old 05-01-2015, 08:41 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I believe the only weight that's German made is the 0W-40. I use it.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I believe the only weight that's German made is the 0W-40. I use it.
Ok, I did check tonight...no luck. Been reading forums like crazy tonight about different oils in our cars. Seems to be all based on personal preference. Thinking I'll just go with the Castrol Edge. Would still like to see if anybody has tried the Magnatec oil yet too! Thanks.

Last edited by CGT77; 05-01-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:44 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Valvoline VR1 10W30 conventional.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Valvoline VR1 10W30 conventional.
As long as he doesn't have cats, I agree with this.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:30 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
As long as he doesn't have cats, I agree with this.
Negative. They make a 10w30 that's not "race only" and is for street use (cat compliant)

Anyway, for my 2 cents, you guys keep touting this German crap and that's fine and dandy.

I can tell you this, 6 different LS motors now, and Castrol Edge with Titanium has made them ALL quiet. Went to the aforementioned VR1 and it got louder. Swapped back to Edge w/ Ti and the noise was gone.

What else is there to debate? Use the flagship from Castrol and be done with it.

I'm so sick of this German ****. PROVE to me it's better than Edge w/ Ti. Please. I have all the time in the world.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used 10W30 VR1 for 3 years now (changed every spring regardless of miles) and it has been the best for me in terms of noise. The absolute worst was Royal Purple. But each engine if different and you need to find what works best for your engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody use the Castrol Magnatec oil in their noisey LS motor?