Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam selection for na motor but with nos/turbo in future

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam selection for na motor but with nos/turbo in future

need advice on a cam for a 6.0 motor. it will be naturally aspirated for a few months, then ill add nitrous and eventually i am going to go turbo. the goal is 450-500 hp on motor (before nos or turbo) .

i would like to get one cam when i build the truck and not have to swap until i build the bottom end. after i am turboed up, im going to stroke the motor with a forged assembly (402-408) and ill get a bigger cam then.

this is the plan. i'm going to build a 6.0 motor, it is going to be a fresh, reconditioned block and bottom end. i'm going to have the factory heads ported and have a 3 angle valve job. then get a cam/valve-train combo. super victor (efi) intake manifold with bigger injectors, and throttle body. of course i plan on having very low compression.(since a turbo is the end game) The motor will be going in a short bed regular cab first generation s10.

Truck will have a high flow fuel pump, with bigger lines and a fuel cell, ford 8.8 rear with eaton posi, mosier axles and gears (also not sure what what gear ratio) 4l80 with shifter and (convertor set up for the combo). also i will be running holley EFI

my plan was to get a lunati voodoo valve-train kit, because they seem pretty decently priced and came with everything. i just dont know what cam specs to get.

so like i said at first the motor will be naturally aspirated, but i plan on gettin the PUCK nitrous setup within a month or 2 after the truck is running.. ill spray between 100-200 shot. then several months to a year later im going to turbo the truck.. hopefully wont be more then 1 year before i can do the turbo setup (s480 most likely to run ultra 275 type class) oh and i will keep the nitrous for "just in case" grudge races.

i will drive the truck on the street a lot, so i don't want it to horrible on gas, but great gas mileage is not a concern.. i think i covered everything..

cam specs, gear ratio, and stall/converter advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-01-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I wouldn't count on running low compression NA on a 6.0 and hitting 500 RWHP. Also, your FI cams tend to have reduced overlap, which will work against your power goals as well.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

thanks darth... do you think it would be better to just pick an off the shelf performance cam instead?

then when i spray it i get whatever extra hp i get.. and then same with the boost, i will just get whatever power.. im sure it will still give me alot more power then NA..

when i am ready to put the forged bottom end in i will get a custom ground cam spec.ed for the boost from the tuner..
Old 06-01-2015, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

or maybe ill just go with a nitrous cam from the beginning and when i do the turbo swap the cam, i just don't want to have to do it 3 times.. id like to do it once but.. i will save the nitrous cam and stock bottom end stuff for a back up motor down the line when i eventually buy an aftermarket block... way down the line...
Old 06-02-2015, 05:34 AM
TECH Resident

If you do an LS3 top end you could probably still hit 450-470whp with the right FI cam selection. Thats what I'm shooting for with my 370 build which like yours, will be NA for some time and then get FI, and I'll be using the same cam thats in my LS1 now (see sig for specs). If theres such thing as a good all around cam I'm sure one of the sponsors like BTR or Tick can make a good recommendation if you call them.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the input. i am going to put a call in the the tuner. havent talked to him in a while but he tuned alot of turbo cars when i worked at a race fabrication shop. we worked on a few outlaw radial and 10.5 cars when i worked there and see what his opinions are to do.. im just spittballing now because i havent bought anything yet soo who knows i may find a deal on something used or just get a to good to pass up deal and change my whole plan..

Old 06-02-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Prychka
or maybe ill just go with a nitrous cam from the beginning and when i do the turbo swap the cam, i just don't want to have to do it 3 times.. id like to do it once but.. i will save the nitrous cam and stock bottom end stuff for a back up motor down the line when i eventually buy an aftermarket block... way down the line...
Mike, this is pretty close to what I would do, given the money. There are some very good N/A cams that are nitrous friendly that will give you very good power - tick SNS 3, for example. So, you could set yourself up to run a good N/A and nitrous motor with some 243's and get really good power out of it. Then, when you go turbo, throw some ported 317's on for the bigger chambers to reduce your compression and a good turbo cam.

Of course, at that point, I'd probably like the first motor too much and just get a second short block...
Old 06-02-2015, 03:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I am not big budget guy, but I do like my combos to work. I would get a good NA cam and if you aren't talking about 250 shot of nitrous the NA cam will do just fine. But once going boosted I would get another spec cam. My engine has seen 4 different camshafts haha. But spend the money where it counts to make the combo work good together.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The eps 234/246 111+3 works well NA and on spray. I'd take a next step down like a 231/238 or 242 on exhaust side with a 111+3. Still give u good lowend to get the truck moving
Old 06-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Mike, this is pretty close to what I would do, given the money. There are some very good N/A cams that are nitrous friendly that will give you very good power - tick SNS 3, for example. So, you could set yourself up to run a good N/A and nitrous motor with some 243's and get really good power out of it. Then, when you go turbo, throw some ported 317's on for the bigger chambers to reduce your compression and a good turbo cam.

Of course, at that point, I'd probably like the first motor too much and just get a second short block...

you are probably right when the time comes i will probably grab another block to build the 408 forged internals.. and keep the stock bottom end motor as a backup/spare for another project down the line...

i also am going to aim for 11:1 compression to get more power and then 100-250 nitrous after that... if i get the turbo before the new bottom end ill keep low conservative boost with the higher compression..

thanks guys. i think ive got a better idea now how im going to goo.. now just going to keep my eyes open for good deals over the next few months as i begin to get the motor and swap parts together for the truck..

Quick Reply: cam selection for na motor but with nos/turbo in future