Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enough blow by to push ounces of oil out rear main?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Enough blow by to push ounces of oil out rear main?

2004 GTO...
Engine was shot due to Comp lifters failing from previous owner. I was going to rebuild it. Bought some 799 heads from a guy, and he just so happened to have a 2002 LS1 short block for sale that I bought, instead.

Long story short, people know this guy, and know he was running a supercharger with 0 supporting mods and most likely cracked some ring lands. Whatever...

Car runs and drives ok, makes good power. Cruises around just fine with normal oil consumption from a jacked up motor. Problem is at high RPM pulls, in say 3rd gear, car will start smoking like crazy! First I thought it was really bad blow by. Then I noticed that the smoke was coming from oil covering the headers under the car.

Did a test pull in third gear, up to 6,000 rpm. Pulled over and literally watched oil pour out of the bell housing. Ounces of oil, probably 6 ounces or so. And that doesn't include the oil that had already covered the under side of the car... again.

My thought is that blow by is so bad at high RPM, it is pushing oil out the rear main.

Other thought... Melling High flow high pressure pump. It will literally peg my oil pressure gauge out at over 100psi. That's a **** ton of pressure, yeah... But where would it be leaking from in the bell housing? Maybe by where the oil cooler ports would be plumbed? That's where I get my oil supply for the turbo on my other turbo LSX build, so I guess it's possible?

I have searched, and everything I find, is people talking about oil PUKING out of the bell housing, but then I read further, and their talking about a puddle like 3" in diameter. I'm talking about literally pouring a solid stream, and starting to run down the street, quantity.

Any thoughts guys?
Old 06-11-2015, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear main or the crossover up top for the lifters. But at that pressure I'd say the rear main.

It's also possible the plug in the crank is leaking.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:41 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Several possibilities. Won't really know until you pull the trans and rear cover.

I've seen people hook up a PCV valve wrong and boost pressurized the crankcase causing similar problem.

If it's related to the oil pump, and it coming from failed rear cover seal, you should see the pressure fluctuate on the gauge.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

Another thing is that I can be parked and rev the engine and hold it at like 5k rpms for about 4 or 5 seconds, and no oil pours out. So that tells me it may not be an oil pressure issue. I want to hold it at about 6k for around 6 seconds and see if it does it. Neighbors start looking at me weird the more I do that though... Lol
Old 06-11-2015, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

You're Satan....who cares how much you rev it?

Keep in mind when you are accelerating hard the oil in the pan is slammed to the rear.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RockinWs6

Keep in mind when you are accelerating hard the oil in the pan is slammed to the rear.
Right. Which is why I'm thinking it's not an issue of too much oil pressure, but rather blow by pushing oil out the rear main.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to bet the rear main is bad. And you need to get the pressure down as well. That's too much for most if not all engines to not push past the rear main.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxman20
I am going to bet the rear main is bad. And you need to get the pressure down as well. That's too much for most if not all engines to not push past the rear main.
Yup. Clean 'er up, remove the oil filler cap, and drive it again. If you don't get leakage with the cap removed, you know where the problem is...
Old 06-13-2015, 08:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Taxman20

Oil pressure is too much, or crank case pressure is too much? Cause oil pressure wont push anything out of the seals(except maybe the pressure passages on the oil pan). It pushes out of the rods and mains, then simply falls to the oil pan. Only reason I brought up oil pressure, is cause maybe there is something behind the rear cover that I'm not thinking of, as was mentioned a few posts ago.

The rear main was a brand new one. But since it is a reverse lip design, crank case pressure may have blown it inside out?

I'm currently doing what I should have done in the first place, and am rebuilding the LS6 block that actually came out of the car, rather than trusting another shady person on craigslist. I just wanted to get some speculation on what you guys thought it could be. I do appreciate the replies.

Quick Reply: Enough blow by to push ounces of oil out rear main?