Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I bent a pushrod.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry I think I bent a pushrod.

Last night I got in to it with a Cobra, to make a long story short I just went in to fourth gear and it jumped out of gear and redlined for a sec or two. The car still drove fine but after that i started to hear a really bad knock comming from the driver side of the motor. Do you think i bent a Pushrod or a Valve? How much should it cost to fix this? Any suggestions would be greatly apprecited.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2004, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

you probably bent a pushrod. valves hardly go bad unless you have alot of power. get the pushrods from thunder racing. i think they are like 120 dollars for all 16 and do it yourself. it is very simple. just make sure you torque the roller rockers back to 24ft lbs and you are set. let me know how it goes
Old 06-05-2004, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya do it yourself... It should take a you a few hours. Took me like 3 hours my first time and now i can do them in my car and my friends car in about an hour. Its a really cool thing, cuz u open the motor up and get to see something most people havent. U can get used stock pushrods off the forums for 20 bucks. You can get hardened or chrome-moly offf thunder racing or just about any other performance shop. I beleive u torque the rocker arms back to 22ft lbs but im not 100% sure... Thats what my install said the first time and i have followed it ever since. But 2ft lbs isnt going to make a difference. and u probably wont be all that exact anyways unless its a digital torque wrench. But let us know how things go and if u run into problem... u can PM me and ask me or e-mail me at mooley@comcast.net

Goodluck,
John Melamed
Old 06-05-2004, 09:01 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

I don't think you bent a pushrod bouncing off the 6300 RPM rev limiter.

Unless you've raised it.

And my daily driver (my z28) gets 22-23 mpg.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z98
I don't think you bent a pushrod bouncing off the 6300 RPM rev limiter.
If not pushrod then what else?

Originally Posted by z98
And my daily driver (my z28) gets 22-23 mpg.
Lucky you.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

It's unlikely you bent a pushrod if the car slipped out of gear and went into neutral. Bent pushrod usually happens when you manually over rev the engine by going from 3rd to 2nd on the shift.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Teching In

I have a 02 mild mods. Had some noise coming from drivers side, took it to the dealer they opened the valve cover saw and replaced bent pr #5 cylynder put it back together, noise still there. pulled engine #5cylynder has a broke piston, cracked sleeve, and a cracked cylynder wall. JUNK.... waiting to see if under warantee. be careful even if you replace pr. something caused pr to bend.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

It is possible to bend a valve even if you do not have any mods on your LS1. You can mechanically over rev your engine by downshifting to 2nd gear or so if you're already turning 6K or so in 3rd. This will cause a bent pushrod, or worse, and bent valve. But from what you describe, you just reved to redline while in neutral and probably bounced off the limiter. I doubt you have a bent pushrod, but you can always check pretty easily by taking off the valve covers and rocker arms.

Quick Reply: I think I bent a pushrod.