Pistons for lq9 w/LS3 top end - LS1TECH

Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pistons for lq9 w/LS3 top end

Old 07-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Launching!

Default Pistons for lq9 w/LS3 top end

There's lots of threads on this, but I can't find any specific info. Anyone have experience with forged pistons with valve reliefs in them to help with the ptv on a setup like this? If so, who'd you get them through? I don't want to lose a a bunch of compression but want to be able to run a higher lift cam. Going into an 02 TA.
cav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
11 Second Club

A.R. Shale Targa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:36 PM   #3
TECH Resident

It isn't the lift that affects PTV.

Either way, Autotec pistons are nice and priced well for a custom piston. I have -3cc reliefs on my 404.
MuhThugga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
KCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav101 View Post
There's lots of threads on this, but I can't find any specific info. Anyone have experience with forged pistons with valve reliefs in them to help with the ptv on a setup like this? If so, who'd you get them through? I don't want to lose a a bunch of compression but want to be able to run a higher lift cam. Going into an 02 TA.
I had a set of Wiseco's ProTru pistons that I really liked. They had valve reliefs and a small dome so you could get some decent compression with the large LS3 chambers. They're meant for stock rods though, so you would need those or a stock length (6.100") aftermarket rod.
KCS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:03 AM   #5
Teching In

Default Bringing this back, please lmk lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCS View Post
I had a set of Wiseco's ProTru pistons that I really liked. They had valve reliefs and a small dome so you could get some decent compression with the large LS3 chambers. They're meant for stock rods though, so you would need those or a stock length (6.100") aftermarket rod.
Will the pro true pistons work on an lq4 with ls3 heads?
AnthonyLMBD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:28 AM   #6
KCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyLMBD View Post
Will the pro true pistons work on an lq4 with ls3 heads?
Yeah, that's why I suggested them. The LQ4 and LQ9 are essentially the same except for pistons.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #7
Teching In

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I suggested them. The LQ4 and LQ9 are essentially the same except for pistons.
Thank you, do you know what compression I would be looking at? Lq4 ls3 heads and those pro true pistons? Small dome, stock stroke and bore. And can I run them on stock rods? I was planning on running them for the valve reliefs and the bump in compression. Thanks for your response!
AnthonyLMBD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #8
KCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyLMBD View Post
Thank you, do you know what compression I would be looking at? Lq4 ls3 heads and those pro true pistons? Small dome, stock stroke and bore. And can I run them on stock rods? I was planning on running them for the valve reliefs and the bump in compression. Thanks for your response!
According to Wiseco's catalog, you should be somewhere between 10.5 and 11.25:1. There are plenty of online calculators out there for you to verify for yourself or to see what different bore sizes or head gaskets do to change it.

Yes, like I already said, they are meant for stock rods. Depending on what rods you have, you will either have to have a machine shop press them in if you have the older rods, or you can assemble them yourself if you have the newer style floating pin rods.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #9
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Picked up an LQ block, iron 6.0, that has provisions for knock sensors on the outside of the block like a GenV. Never knew they made them that way.
64post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #10
KCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64post View Post
Picked up an LQ block, iron 6.0, that has provisions for knock sensors on the outside of the block like a GenV. Never knew they made them that way.
Yeah, there are some weird ones out there. I came across a 6.0L iron block with oil squirters machined into it.