Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMS 220 Build for "Ghost Hawk"

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Thanks guys. It's been a hell of a couple of weeks. While doing this build, we set heat records out here. I lost both AC units, daughter was rear ended in S10, other daughter burned up her Camry, lawnmower kicked a rock through my rear glass door, and the pool pump housing cracked. Uncle. Uncle. Uncle. Uncle.

I ran a quick street quarter mile and it cleared 115, but short of 120 by a good bit. Unofficially I'd call it 116-117 where the needle peaked.

I doubt I'll ever take it to the track. Too much time and love went into it. It's just a badass daily driver.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default MMS 220 Build for "Ghost Hawk"

Congrats. That's some big improvement. Wait til it cools down a bit and dyno again. I bet there is more in it yet.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Finally found a minute to chime in as well.....

Congrats to Darth on a job well done and done in a timely manner in the middle of the Arizona summer (this guy is hard core guys....called him a few times and he's wrenching on his car in 105' garage!).

Bottom line is I'm stoked with these results....I think a good dual exhaust might bump the TQ some with the better scavenging or siphoning effect due to the X-pipe and length of overall exhaust tubing without really hurting power because of how effective it is. And rolling in off the street....heat soaked and doing a loooong pull from 2000 RPM to redline with close to 200 degree water temps and 100+ ambient......yeah.....thats not ideal.....LOL

A/F ratio needs some loving....timing might need a bump or two here and there. The shop owner noted alot of vibration in the car at higher RPM based on the wheels out of balance....(not big power but not optimal). The first dyno pull of any dyno session is easily beat (even in more optimal conditions) by messing with a few things so Im sure there is more in this with no changes but I know Jacob plans to eliminate his really heavy clutch with a Mamofied RPS BC2 which is literally 20 lbs lighter and also step up to the Kooks duals which are awesome.

I may take a ride to Arizona for that dyno event (he's only five hours or so from me) and lend a helping hand dialing this thing in cause I'm pretty confident we can get damn close to 500 RWHP and 435 or so RWTQ with his existing 227 cam (even calling that "medium" sized is a stretch these days.....medium is low mid 230's!). Also note the way the engine carried power.....its still making its peak power at 67-6800 RPM.....a clear sign the heads are really doing their job cause the 227 cam certainly isn't optimized to carry that far. Its carrying power like a combo with good heads and ten more degrees in the stick.

Looking forward to the further evolution and optimization of Darth's ride....its going to be interesting to see where it really lands once everything is dialed in!

Cheers guys
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 08-23-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Thanks guys. It's been a hell of a couple of weeks. While doing this build, we set heat records out here. I lost both AC units, daughter was rear ended in S10, other daughter burned up her Camry, lawnmower kicked a rock through my rear glass door, and the pool pump housing cracked. Uncle. Uncle. Uncle. Uncle.

I ran a quick street quarter mile and it cleared 115, but short of 120 by a good bit. Unofficially I'd call it 116-117 where the needle peaked.

I doubt I'll ever take it to the track. Too much time and love went into it. It's just a badass daily driver.
I found the track is a great way to break stuff with a manual trans. Sounds like it's great street car and just what I'm aiming for. Quick question. Where did you get .120 shims for your YTs?
Old 08-23-2015, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by svede1212
I found the track is a great way to break stuff with a manual trans. Sounds like it's great street car and just what I'm aiming for. Quick question. Where did you get .120 shims for your YTs?
The YTs were .062. I doubled them up. Went to lowes and Home Depot with calipers and measured washers for hours to get the other 8. Must have had 15 associates ask if they could help. One guy did bring me a bucket to sit on...
Old 08-24-2015, 03:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ordered some on Amazon and used sand paper and glass to get them exactly right.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006U...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-24-2015, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats. All your hard work and diligence paid off.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Bump.....just because it seemed weird no seeing this thread in the top ten

(I was having withdrawals!)

And to say I cant wait to see the "refined" results after the last of the optimization is complete. I'm pretty sure it would be the first 500 RWHP vehicle with a 22X cam and a stock OEM short.

Not sure if it will actually get there but Im damn sure it would be close!

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 08-25-2015, 12:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thing is making the kind of power I was hoping for with my 346. Again, great job Darth.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez these are really tempting Tony...
Just a cam and valvetrain to hold me over until Vararam releases their intake and I can finish the 416...
Old 08-25-2015, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice results! Definitely a mild mannered combo that won't get old to drive on the street long term.

Curious what would happen if the cam had less exh. duration and on a wider LSA... I'm sure the airspeed on these Mamofied 220's is just as high if not higher than Mamofied AFR 205's.

Jason
Old 08-25-2015, 11:56 PM

Thanks guys. It's a lot of fun doing a build when you can feel so many people rooting for you.

On the cam, I'm not sure. Overlap is power. I think less overlap might flatten the curve a bit, but pull an once talk less number. Probably peak a bit earlier also.

These heads were designed to match mamofied AFR215's out of the box, and I asked Tony to Mamofy them. I think they'd be hard to beat - even by another mamofied head.

What I really think is so brilliant about these is they have made bigger power possible with less cam. I'm pretty sure I could throw a 240/246 stick in and hit 500 with brute force. But the cool thing is I might not need to. I wasn't really chasing a dyno number, but now that 500 looks plausible, I'm saving up for more.

Sorry for the long post. I've been trying to find the right way to describe everything.

My wife drove the car to work today, which was a great test for streetability. And before you jump to any conclusions, this woman can drive. She ended up giving me the keys back, because "it's too much power for heavy traffic and every time you start moving you have to worry about hitting the car in front"

Last edited by Darth_V8r; 08-26-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys. It's a lot of fun doing a build when you can feel so many people rooting for you.

On the cam, I'm not sure. Overlap is power. I think less overlap might flatten the curve a bit, but pull an once talk less number. Probably peak a bit earlier also.

These heads were designed to match mamofied AFR215's out of the box, and I asked Tony to Mamofy them. I think they'd be hard to beat - even by another mamofied head.

What I really think is so brilliant about these is they have made bigger power possible with less cam. I'm pretty sure I could throw a 240/246 stick in and hit 500 with brute force. But the cool thing is I might not need to. I wasn't really chasing a dyno number, but now that 500 looks plausible, I'm saving up for more. Even if the dyno was a bit generous (Tony himself was originally guessing 460), 500 is still in reach

Sorry for the long post. I've been trying to find the right way to describe everything.

My wife drove the car to work today, which was a great test for streetability. And before you jump to any conclusions, this woman can drive. She ended up giving me the keys back, because "it's too much power for heavy traffic and every time you start moving you have to worry about hitting the car in front"
Nice man I'm sure your ecstatic with the results. I know I would be and I bet driveability with that setup is awesome to say the least.

Now go drive a bolt on ls1 and get back to us. You'd be surprised just how fast you get used to the power and it doesn't "feel" fast. Lol I jumped in my buddies bolt on 02 z28 the other day and it felt like a Honda.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by redbird555
Nice man I'm sure your ecstatic with the results. I know I would be and I bet driveability with that setup is awesome to say the least.

Now go drive a bolt on ls1 and get back to us. You'd be surprised just how fast you get used to the power and it doesn't "feel" fast. Lol I jumped in my buddies bolt on 02 z28 the other day and it felt like a Honda.
LOL! Funny you say that! My S10 is a stock-ish LS2 for all practical purposes. Iron block LQ4, but top end, cam, intake, injectors are all LS2 all the way. It used to feel close to the hawk, but I drove it two days ago, and I was all "I thought this thing was faster than this"

I'm starting to wonder how much a snow performance meth kit would add, but at some point, the lady will start to realize I'm spending more on the car than her, and then here we go...
Old 08-26-2015, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

LOL! Funny you say that! My S10 is a stock-ish LS2 for all practical purposes. Iron block LQ4, but top end, cam, intake, injectors are all LS2 all the way. It used to feel close to the hawk, but I drove it two days ago, and I was all "I thought this thing was faster than this"

I'm starting to wonder how much a snow performance meth kit would add, but at some point, the lady will start to realize I'm spending more on the car than her, and then here we go...
My wife calls my car "The other woman" and as we all know you have to spend money on the other woman to keep them happy.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by svede1212
My wife calls my car "The other woman" and as we all know you have to spend money on the other woman to keep them happy.
Our last fight, she called the car my wife and herself the "other woman" That's how I KNEW I was in for it.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Our last fight, she called the car my wife and herself the "other woman" That's how I KNEW I was in for it.
This all sounds too familiar

Congrats on the new found power in that kind of heat, I'll bet you'll be close to the 500 mark in some cooler temps this fall.

What is the rest of your exhaust with 1-7/8 headers ?

Last edited by conan; 08-27-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by conan
This all sounds too familiar Congrats on the new found power in that kind of heat, I'll bet you'll be close to the 500 mark in some cooler temps this fall. What is the rest of your exhaust with 1-7/8 headers ?
It's a 3" TSP catted Y and a 3" cat back. It was fine for the old set up, but it's choking the new one. I'm saving up for dual exhaust. But it'll be fall before I can do it. The cats are melted so next chance I get ill do the "crowbar mod" to dump some back pressure. At least to alleviate things a bit.

I don't think it'll pull higher after SAE correction. It was at 1.07. I think it'll run faster though.

Also, FWIW I got my first full tank through after the tune. 220 miles on 12.1 gallons mixed highway and city. So 18-19 mpg mixed driving, including a lot of showing off. Not too shabby. It got 20 mixed when it was stock.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a 3" TSP catted Y and a 3" cat back. It was fine for the old set up, but it's choking the new one. I'm saving up for dual exhaust. But it'll be fall before I can do it. The cats are melted so next chance I get ill do the "crowbar mod" to dump some back pressure. At least to alleviate things a bit.

I don't think it'll pull higher after SAE correction. It was at 1.07. I think it'll run faster though.

Also, FWIW I got my first full tank through after the tune. 220 miles on 12.1 gallons mixed highway and city. So 18-19 mpg mixed driving, including a lot of showing off. Not too shabby. It got 20 mixed when it was stock.
That's cool it's still getting that kind of gas mileage. I saw you said you were getting the Kook's TD's so I wasn't sure if you got that early or not. Very nice gains nun the less
Old 08-27-2015, 03:29 PM

Not yet. I'm tapped out. The money I spent on all the other crap that happened would have covered the kooks and the clutch. Oh well. I basically ran dumped headers with 18" extensions on the end just to get a number. I don't expect the kooks will add, just sound better.

I do think the lighter clutch will make a difference.

Quick Reply: MMS 220 Build for "Ghost Hawk"