Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Damage? Junkyard Pulled LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Damage? Junkyard Pulled LS

Hello fellas, I recently picked up an LS1 out of a 00 F body. I never seen the engine run first hand, but it rotates smoothly by hand all the way. I have two separate issues I am battling with the motor at this time. All advice is appreciated, thank you for your time.

I tore it down and did a leak down test on the engine at room temperature with the rockers off. My results were not to bad except for cylinder 2 with 82% leak. I have not pulled the heads just yet but feel that the cylinder 2 exhaust valve might be bent or the valve spring is weak as I was unable to get it to stop leaking.

Here are the results of the test.
Cyl 1 - 11%
Cyl 2 - 82%
Cyl 3 - 12%
Cyl 4 - 7%
Cyl 5 - 5%
Cyl 6 - 8%
Cyl 7 - 16%
Cyl 8 - 18%

After the test I pulled the oil pan. I took a look through the remaining oil at the bottom of the pan after draining it and found several pieces of metal, could this metal have ruined the bearings/crank/cam?

I am looking for some advice on what they next best step may be to go in the right direction. I was thinking of pulling the head and checking out the valve. While it is off I may as well replace the valves + springs for that cyl. Then put it all back together and work on getting it started up. My debate with moving forward on that is that I am unsure if the metal from the broken oil pan has possibly ruined anything internally. Maybe it would be best to inspect the bottom end further?

From what I have seen in other peoples oil pan photos this hole to to left side is usually like this from factory?
Attached Thumbnails Motor Damage? Junkyard Pulled LS-img_6098.jpg   Motor Damage? Junkyard Pulled LS-img_6100.jpg   Motor Damage? Junkyard Pulled LS-img_6101.jpg  

Last edited by nicelyphe; 07-27-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

take it back to the jy and get a different one
Old 07-31-2015, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After pulling up on the valve springs a little bit for cyl 2 I got that cyl to seal and only have 13% leak.

The yard asked for these photos and then called me back stating that it is a 15 yr old motor and blew me off about it. Telling me to get it running first..

Last edited by nicelyphe; 07-31-2015 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Motor Damage? Junkyard Pulled LS