Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to long term store a short block

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to long term store a short block

I have a stock LS1 short block that is sitting in a crate right now, how should I store it until next spring/winter?

I've read a little motor oil should be wiped on the cylinder walls to avoid rust, anything else that should be done?

I plan to put it on the engine stand once I pull the heads off.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMZ28
I have a stock LS1 short block that is sitting in a crate right now, how should I store it until next spring/winter? I've read a little motor oil should be wiped on the cylinder walls to avoid rust, anything else that should be done? I plan to put it on the engine stand once I pull the heads off.
Most vendors coat the entire shortblock in wd40 to keep moisture out of them.. Add some oil to the cylinder walls.. Cover it with a plastic tarp.. Also throw a blanket over it to keep it insulated and not let the dew get in..

When you are ready to start it up go ahead and prime the engine with oil by pumping it in and all should be fine..
Old 07-31-2015, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Speaking of dew and moisture, would that mean that a shortblock is better stored in a controlled environment where the temps don't vary too much?
Old 07-31-2015, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Yes^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Also a product like AMSOIL Fogging Oil is a little heavier and more
Specific than WD40 for the application.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
Yes^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Also a product like AMSOIL Fogging Oil is a little heavier and more
Specific than WD40 for the application.
Qouted from the interweb "WD-40 is composed of many different chemicals, and only about 10-20% of these are lubricants. Even then this small amount is only a very light mineral lubricant. Most of the other components are intended to help penetration, but are volatile and are intended to evaporate.

WD-40 does provide some longer term lubrication, but the problem is that the volatile components will dissolve and displace whatever lubricant already existed (e.g. grease), and then the majority of the WD-40 will evaporate. So really it should not be used on anything that requires proper lubrication (or at least, a proper lubricant should be added again some time after using WD).

I use a rust inhibitor / protectant specifically designed for storing expensive injection mold tooling with a mirror polish.

http://www.grainger.com/product/SPRA...0731162846%3As
Old 07-31-2015, 11:46 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

LPS3 is the way to go. It's like putting a wax coating over the entire block. Then just grab some 3mil plastic and try to keep it in a climate controlled area if possible.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually since its a shortblock its really easy. WD40 or even coat with engine oil, the entire block inside and out. Drop it into a big plastic trash bag and tie the open end to seal it up. It wont dry out or get moisture into it either. We have stored race engines for long periods this way until we need to pull them out to be used.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

^ this works. Temperature control doesn't matter. Humidity control doesn't really matter if the oil coat is there.

Since you will have it on a stand, rotate the motor every few weeks to let oil drain back over everything and inspect for dry areas.

Dunno about everyone else but I talk dirty to my motors when I do this. In fact, yesterday I did this to my sleeved STI shortblock and told how dirty she is and how hard she's gonna get F#%ED when we go out. What I didn't know was my gf was there too and she didn't realize who I was talking to.... turned out in my favor though
Old 08-04-2015, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my assembled motor has been on a stand in a cool area of my basement for the better part of two years now - waiting for the car to be ready. i occasionally turn it over and work some conventional 5w-30 into it - aside from that I keep it covered in plastic and run a dehumidifier in the warmer summer months. no rust.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I bagged a shortblock and stuck it in a closet in the house for a few years and it came out perfect. If there is no humidity or drastic temp changes it'll be fine for a long time

Quick Reply: How to long term store a short block