Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Cams core problems still out there? I think my new cam is possessed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Comp Cams core problems still out there? I think my new cam is possessed!

Long story short, i bought a camshaft kit from a vendor on the forum, and when I received it, it was on a Comp core, although i had heard that Cam Motion was the preferred core provider, ecspecially after hearing about the issues in the past that folks have had on LS1 cores. No problem i figured, the vendor should know best..........

Well, after my local shop did the install, on my 57,000 mile car that ran great when it went to the shop, the car now has a wicked misfire on cylinder 7 and 5, with 7 leading the way like a bandit, and this thing runs like a bag of ***. The shop thought that maybe the cam just needed tuning, so the local tuner stopped by to tune the car, he quick flashed it and took it to street tune it before dynoing the car. It was so bad that he brought the car back and told the shop they needed to fix the misfire before he would/could tune the car.

Well, the shop has had my car for 3 weeks now, as they can't devote 100% of there time to a problem child, i can't afford that, and has done everything possible to find/fix the misfire,
new plugs, wires
compression and leakdown check
swapping injectors, coils, both mine and other sets off cars in the shop
checked for broken valvesprings, but they are new from the kit
vacuum leaks
amongst other checks

It it looking like the cam is the culprit, so i contacted the vendor to see about what to do, as well as my shop contacting them, and spending a long time on the phone, where the vendor said that they didn't think i bought the cam from them, since they haven't had this cam grind in a comp core for months, although i obviously got one that is not playing nice. I spoke to the vendor to see what they would/could do, and they are contacting Comp. My hope is that i get a replacement cam, and return this one without more out of pocket expenses, since i am now into the install for alot more because of all the time spent troubleshooting this damn thing.

I am sick to my stomach now for cracking into a perfectly healthy low mileage engine for the cam, and now it is haunted.

What say the masses? Anyone else still having Comp cams issues, or even using them? Am I totally off base to think that the vendor should send out a replacement cam, and take the suspect one back and deal with it? I say suspect, because i realize that the only way to verify is to send it back to comp, but why should i have to suffer further, if the vendor has a better chance of getting this handled than me. My dream would be to get Comp to warranty the cam, help with my crazy labor costs now, and have the vendor send me a Cam Motion grind of there cam, as up until now, i have been wanting this cam from this vendor. I should have used the cam that my installer wanted to use, but it didn't have the lopey idle i wanted that my current cam is supposed to have. Then if there cam was bad, they would be on the hook to make it right, and not on my dime.

Winter is coming, and i am losing driving season for what should have been a 1 week project.

Any help or stories from folks would be appreciated, i am just tired of mulling this over inside, and needed the forum to help with my frustration counseling. Any more to do? I trust the shop, as they do all GM stuff, so it's not like a shadetree mechanic doing this in his garage. Sorry for the long rant on this one.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Lots of people have issues, and just don't voice them here. So you'll have to hope they come out of the woodwork and speak up.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Me personally have never had a issue from any comp cams. Still have the factory cam? If I was the tech I would install the factory cam and see if it changes. But I do all my own work and know it would cost you.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Can motion is a vendor here as well. If you wanted it on a cam motion core, you should have went to them directly. Lots of people get comp cams to grind their custom cams. Especially if you are already requesting comp lobes.

If your core is bad, your business is with comp cams, not the vendor. Unless you specifically requested a cam motion core from your vendor.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shop probably messed up the install.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrpimp00
My thought.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jrpimp00
I'll third that. Seems like they just like throwing money at it hoping it fixes things instead of actually taking a step back and looking specifically for the problem.

It's easy enough to test all those things you just bought new. And if the cam is off one tooth it's gonna run like ****.

My first inclination would be to take it to another shop and see what they say. Another set of fresh eyes is always good.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This wasn't real recent, but I did catch a bad comp cam during this past winter. It was misground compared to the specs on the cam card. That probably isnt your issue since you are seeing only two bad cylinders, but the bad cams are definitely out there. More likely to be an install problem.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:36 PM
10 Second Club

If I was the tech and had this issue, valve covers would be off and the timing cover off and would be inspecting!
Old 09-12-2015, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

^^^exactly. make sure it is degreed right, matches the cam card and the #7 lobes match also don't just check #1
Old 09-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Launching!

I guess I have been lucky, I've used plenty of cams ground by Comp and never have had an issue. I just installed a new one I got from Tick. I haven't started it yet but when I put the degree wheel to it, it was damn near ***** on accurate. I have had some that were a bit off in the past but not by much. Already been said here but they should pull the front cover and valve covers if they suspect the cam is the issue. Make sure everything is lined up.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I appreciate all the info and advise, both replies and PM's, i am in no way blaming the vendor, but having spoke to my installer and the vendor, the vendor was surprised that i got a Comp core, as it must have been the last one, and they have been helping out so far, and i went with them instead of cam motion because it was the vendor's custom grind that others have had good luck with, and i heard good things about them and the work they do. I was just not looking to have to shell out cash for another cam, then have to send it back to Comp and wait for them to reimburse me my cost. I am assuming that the shop installed the cam correctly, because that was one of the first things he mentioned, was that every cam install typically gets a pic taken before the timing cover goes on, to verify that it is installed straight up, as well as a second set of to verify before buttoning it up.

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like it is either the cam, or the cam installation. I'll ask to see if they degreed the cam, or just lined up the D2D and called it good.

Could it being installed 1 tooth off cause these misfires?
Old 09-13-2015, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Comp will never reimburse you. I had problems with Comp's trunnion kit and they basically told me to pound salt.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Banned

Never been a comp cams fan, they NEVER take any accountability on anything! I had many friends have issues with their products.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

They replaced mine when I sent it back, but would have been an absolute joke if I had ran it without finding the problem. No where close to enough ptv clearance on it and the vendor swore I would have no plenty of clearance. It was like 8 degrees and .020 too big on the intake side.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd lean more towards the install side and it sounds like they're just trying stuff instead of diagnosing the problem.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Sounds like the shop botched the install.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

A good shop should know the drill. Check compression, leak down and valve events. Scope the cylinders. Seriously its basic stuff.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jontall
Comp will never reimburse you. I had problems with Comp's trunnion kit and they basically told me to pound salt.
Originally Posted by high n dry
Never been a comp cams fan, they NEVER take any accountability on anything! I had many friends have issues with their products.
Well, I feel your pain, but I can't let this stand. I broke some of their 918 springs a long long time ago. They refunded me 100%.

In this case, I have to wonder if something else is going on besides the cam. OP, please post up when the problem is found.

Was Martin involved?
Old 09-14-2015, 01:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontall
Yep. Junk

Quick Reply: Comp Cams core problems still out there? I think my new cam is possessed!