Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter question for Patman (new filter possibly better than K&N?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Filter question for Patman (new filter possibly better than K&N?)

Hey Patman if you read this or anybody else who is knowledgable on this I have a question regarding a couple oil filters. We all know that the K&N flows really well and has decent but not the best filtration. We also know that for high performance engines such as the ls1 that a better flowing filter is better than a high filtering low flowing filter.

I found this link for this filter which filters less than the k&n but flows nearly twice as much looking at the specs

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/donaldson.htm

vs the K &N

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/KN-3002.htm

the donaldson flows way more than the K&N I wonder if this filter will actually be better for our needs than the K&N and at a cheaper price?
Old 06-09-2004, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

After looking more at that page...I see the AMSOIL looks like it filters a little better than the K&N, but flows almost as well... I wonder if that would be worth the little bit of flow difference to have the bit better filtration? http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/amsoil-sdf24.htm

Intersting links...
Old 06-09-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Also Patman why do you use the bigger K&N filter instead of the stock sized one?
Old 06-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Teching In

The AC UPF44 is hands down the best filter for the LS1.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about the Fram oil filters, that's what I use and would like to know what to switch to if needed?
Old 06-09-2004, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
What about the Fram oil filters, that's what I use and would like to know what to switch to if needed?
Frams are cardboard filters!!!! BLAHHH You can dent them by flicking them!!!
I dunno about that one in the can though... X2 whatever
Old 06-09-2004, 05:05 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by Tudds
Frams are cardboard filters!!!! BLAHHH You can dent them by flicking them!!!
I dunno about that one in the can though... X2 whatever
Yeah Frams are the worst. Get that piece of trash out of your car and move to either Puro One, or K&N. Unless we unfold the holy grail of Oil filters in this thread... I use Pure One filters, had a WIX once. Both are quality oil filters.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well **** then, nice to know I will just use the AC Delo filter then, I am not going to pay $10 for that ******* K&N I can tell you that ****
Old 06-09-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

The Wal-Mart Supertech is actually a very good filter considering the price... if you don't like the $10 K&N, check that one out. Can't beat $1.97 at Wally World.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, I buy my Fram from there anyways ******* Fram
Old 06-10-2004, 12:17 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL.....You guys crack me up, it's a OIL FILTER PEOPLE!

Use good oil, and change it every 3000 miles. The oil filter aint gonna matter much unless you're running 10K old oil
Old 06-10-2004, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Damian

Use good oil, and change it every 3000 miles. The oil filter aint gonna matter much unless you're running 10K old oil
a guy i worked with was running a fram filter on his daughters car.the cotton like filter came apart and stopped up the screen in the oil pan. it blew the motor up. all over a pos oil filter! so thats why i dont use fram anymore. i stick w/ ac delco.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:02 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbeast
a guy i worked with was running a fram filter on his daughters car.the cotton like filter came apart and stopped up the screen in the oil pan. it blew the motor up. all over a pos oil filter! so thats why i dont use fram anymore. i stick w/ ac delco.
Well ok, you are right. Fram sucks and I wouldn't even run it on my beater, but any name brand filter (AC, Proline, ETC) will be plenty fine for someone who is keeping up with proper oil changing IMO....

FWIW I have ran a plain jane AC Delco filter on every F-body i've ever owned with one problem...
Old 06-10-2004, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike K.
Also Patman why do you use the bigger K&N filter instead of the stock sized one?
Bigger is always better, as you can see on that filter study as to how much more the larger filter flowed over the stock sized one. It just so happens that my LT1 takes the exact same filter that they were testing in that study.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Patman
Bigger is always better, as you can see on that filter study as to how much more the larger filter flowed over the stock sized one. It just so happens that my LT1 takes the exact same filter that they were testing in that study.
For the LS1, which attributes would be more important- better flow or better filtration?

The more I look at it, the Amsoil and Mobil 1 are excellent filters.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike K.

the donaldson flows way more than the K&N I wonder if this filter will actually be better for our needs than the K&N and at a cheaper price?

It is indeed possible that this filter could be a better choice, it's just a matter of how readily available it is. The K&N is probably easier to find, plus we know it's built very solidly as well. I also like the Fleetguard, it looks like a very good filter too. I may be looking for an alternative to the K&N in the future, because when I get a C5 I won't be able to buy the K&Ns from my usual source, as they don't stock the HP1007 there. The Fleetguard is easy for me to get though, since there is a Cummins dealer ten minutes from me (and they are open 12 hours a day, even on Sat and Sunday)
Old 06-10-2004, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BamaJohn
The AC UPF44 is hands down the best filter for the LS1.
Not true.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
The Wal-Mart Supertech is actually a very good filter considering the price... if you don't like the $10 K&N, check that one out. Can't beat $1.97 at Wally World.
The Supertech is definitely a good filter! I had a friend of mine pick me up two of them for my mom's Probe GT when he visited the US (our Walmart's don't carry them, they only sell Fram)
Old 06-10-2004, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Damian

Actually the filter matters a lot, even if you're changing your oil every 1000 miles. A more restrictive oil filter will cause higher engine wear.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mrb00formula
For the LS1, which attributes would be more important- better flow or better filtration?

The more I look at it, the Amsoil and Mobil 1 are excellent filters.
On a hard driven car, flow is always more critical. If you drive like a granny, then filtration would be more important. But honestly, with a relatively loose clearance engine like the LS1, you don't need to try and filter out the 10 micron particles, because even a 15 or 20 micron particle will pass through the engine without causing wear. Just look at how low my engine wear has been while using a K&N oil filter, which is basically a 20 micron filter.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter question for Patman (new filter possibly better than K&N?)