Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

basic question about overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default basic question about overheating

i got my carb'd stroker to around 240 degrees the other day when the belt for the water pump flew off. it was running for maybe 1 minute before i shut it down. of course, it was steaming and spitting water, my question is did i brake something. it has aluminum heads and i am worried about warping.

but, i have checked the oil 200 time since then and the only water i see is in little spots starting about halfway up the dipstick and little spots at the top of the dipstick. there is not any water in the actual oil pan. why would this be?

i have started it and there is no obvious miss or any water squirting anywhere. but why would there be small slpots of water along the dipstick from the middle up, and nowhere else?

thanks
Old 06-10-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

anyone anyone
Old 06-10-2004, 10:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default overheating

If the system remains full it is not leaking. If you have to add water to keep the level up then you have a problem. You can pull the spark plugs and see if there is any indication of coolant by looking at them.

From your description I tend to doubt you did any damage. 240 degrees is not that hot. If if got up to 260 and higher then you might have done some damage.

What you see on the dipstick is most likely moisture which is a by product of combustion. Every engine will show this on the dipstick. It evaporates away when the engine comes up to operating temperature.

One of the reasons we recommend Evans coolant is because it will not boil until it reaches close to 400 degrees. It does a far better job of protecting the engine than water based coolants. I've seen race engines run in the desert for hours at 300 degrees with no damage at all using Evans coolants.

Steve Demirjian
Race Engine Development
Old 06-11-2004, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

thanks, who carries the evans coolant.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Evans

Originally Posted by jshouse
thanks, who carries the evans coolant.
You can order directly from Evans if you like. I can get it for you also as can Cartek.

www.evanscooling.com or call 888-990-2665

When switching over to Evans coolant you need to rid the system of all the old coolant. Flush it out completely and then make sure it is dry - blow out with compressed air. No water or orginal coolant must be left. Evans is used 100% so you will need at least four gallons.

Steve